Rausch Creek Trip 12-14

No offense taken. I appreciate your best wishes on the regear even though I'm pretty confident in my abilities a little extra good will and good luck is always welcomed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you get it figured out and want to do another Jeep let me know. Might be a bit until i want to grt t done though

Sent from my phone?

I'm doing 5.13 but that's because I have the 3.8 motor.

Zach if you don't plan on doing 37's do the 4.88

Sent from my iPhone

That makes complete sense with the 3.8. Then again why not Ripp it?

If you get it figured out and want to do another Jeep let me know. Might be a bit until i want to grt t done though

Sent from my phone?

By the time you're ready I will have done at least two regears on my own. I'll probably do my sons first when he goes to college this coming August/ September in the fall when the weather is good so I'm not sweating or freezing my onions off in the garage.

That makes complete sense with the 3.8. Then again why not Ripp it?

Would rather not spend the cash for a supercharger that may not do me much on the trails. Plus I hate the whine the ripp produces (no offense to anyone who had one). Normal super chargers don't bother me as bad as that does. Would rather regear for 35's and for potential 37's plus I'm adding a rear locker at the same time

Sent from my iPhone

I worked on diesel trucks for so long that i love all of the different sounds that come from engine bays :yup:

Sent from my phone?

I worked on diesel trucks for so long that i love all of the different sounds that come from engine bays :yup:

Sent from my phone?
I personally wouldn't mind hearing a turbo whine with a nice blowoff valve at every gear change.... Aaaaand there went my gas mileage!

Quick question: for my set-up. As you all know, I have a 13' JKU, 3.73 gears, max tow package, Volant CAI, Magna Flow Pro pipe, running tunes on my Diablo Sport Trinity tuner, on 35's and it's a DD. I want to re gear for more power and for 37's down the road. What would be the best gear for my setup? I've heard ppl saying on the forums that if your going to open up the pumpkins, then you should go with the biggest gear that fits. I was thinking either 4.56 or 4.88's. But I would like to hear from the more experienced ppl on here.

Also, since I have a Dana 30 up front and can't afford the thousands of $$$ for a Pro Rock 60. What can I do to strengthen the D30 for hold the 37's..? Obviously, I'm on a budget and don't have the luxury of doing any "testing" to see what holds up. So, I want to do it right, the 1st time around.

Thanks for the help.

Quick question: for my set-up. As you all know, I have a 13' JKU, 3.73 gears, max tow package, Volant CAI, Magna Flow Pro pipe, running tunes on my Diablo Sport Trinity tuner, on 35's and it's a DD. I want to re gear for more power and for 37's down the road. What would be the best gear for my setup? I've heard ppl saying on the forums that if your going to open up the pumpkins, then you should go with the biggest gear that fits. I was thinking either 4.56 or 4.88's. But I would like to hear from the more experienced ppl on here.

Also, since I have a Dana 30 up front and can't afford the thousands of $$$ for a Pro Rock 60. What can I do to strengthen the D30 for hold the 37's..? Obviously, I'm on a budget and don't have the luxury of doing any "testing" to see what holds up. So, I want to do it right, the 1st time around.

Thanks for the help.

Eddie PM Dr. Madness about the gears. He's got a crazy chart that shows best gears for which tires. But from what I have planned with 37s I'd say 4.88. As for the axle, 100% get C gussets, they are a must. U can also upgrade the internal structure as well

The Force will be with you.... always

Thanks for the help.

If you go to the "every question to answer for Noobs" thread Eddie (wayoflife) posted you will find the gear chart that is always thrown around on here. Also Eddie said in another thread that for the 3.6 motor and 5.13's are perfect for 37's!

Now that being said if you try upgrading your D30 you may open a can of worms. You will most likely spend just about or equal to as much on sleeves and new shafts plus gears and gussets just to find out you could have bought a PR44 for the same price. When I called Dynatrac directly myself inquiring about a PR44 I got a quote of about $3700! If you order from them directly it's a lot cheaper then from Northridge or even EVO. Long story short just price it out first. If upgrading the 30 comes close to the 44 I say save that last little and get the 44. Rubicat is running the pr44 front and was running the stock 44 till they upgraded it for jkx

Sent from my iPhone

I was under the impression that 4.88 is the lowest you can go in a D30. And at 4.88 you end up with a really weak, miniscule pinion gear that will end up being the weak spot in your drive train. Always want the easiest repair (axles) to be the weak link. And at that 4.88 and 37's you will not only have concerns with your pinion gear but also a low spline count carrier and axles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was under the impression that 4.88 is the lowest you can go in a D30. And at 4.88 you end up with a really weak, miniscule pinion gear that will end up being the weak spot in your drive train. Always want the easiest repair (axles) to be the weak link. And at that 4.88 and 37's you will not only have concerns with your pinion gear but also a low spline count carrier and axles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

i think just like anything it all comes down to how you drive and wheel. you can run 5.13 in the 30 but it will be small. if you are careful how you wheel you can make it work just like the guy running 40's on his 30 or like 1bamfr running 37's on his 30.

i plan on doing 5.13 because i have plans to want to do 37's sometime in the future. this will allow me to get a PR44 with 5.13's already in it and not have to worry about redoing the rear at the same time.

i think just like anything it all comes down to how you drive and wheel. you can run 5.13 in the 30 but it will be small. if you are careful how you wheel you can make it work just like the guy running 40's on his 30 or like 1bamfr running 37's on his 30.

i plan on doing 5.13 because i have plans to want to do 37's sometime in the future. this will allow me to get a PR44 with 5.13's already in it and not have to worry about redoing the rear at the same time.

Actually steve you're front and rear need to match. So my plan for when I get my PR44 is have it with 5.13's in it already, i will remove my front drive shaft until I get the rear done. None of this will happen until I have enough saved for the pr44 and the regear. I may already have 37's at that point too.

I know Ed is really against 37's but I just love the stance that Jim has so thats what I am going to go for.

Actually steve you're front and rear need to match. So my plan for when I get my PR44 is have it with 5.13's in it already, i will remove my front drive shaft until I get the rear done.

i know they do. sorry if i didnt specify that. doing 5.13 now (F/R) that way i dont have to get the rear done again when i get the PR with 5.13 already in it

i know they do. sorry if i didnt specify that. doing 5.13 now (F/R) that way i dont have to get the rear done again when i get the PR with 5.13 already in it

Ah so you'll have 5.13's in your dana 30 for a little bit? I'm sure with the kind of wheeling we do at Rausch it wouldn't be as terrible as it is out west on the big rocks they play with.

Then agian you like the harder trails so yeah idk, I'll join you guys there one day. But we all gotta catch Tom and Nate, they did a red trail last time.

X2. Here's a fairly new thread on the D30 that might help (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?11997-5-13s-in-dana30).

Ah so you'll have 5.13's in your dana 30 for a little bit? I'm sure with the kind of wheeling we do at Rausch it wouldn't be as terrible as it is out west on the big rocks they play with.

Then agian you like the harder trails so yeah idk, I'll join you guys there one day. But we all gotta catch Tom and Nate, they did a red trail last time.

yea i will have them for a while. a condo needs to come first before a PR44 lol

No no, Ed as in JKMaddness, or our fearless leader as I call him.

why is he against 37's? there is no need to be against 37's. Hell i wish i had 37's even tho its not needed out here i still wish i had them for trails here and for when i go out west

I don't know, he has said it before he doesn't want to go anymore than 35's. It's just his personal preference.

Top Bottom