NorCal/CenCal Snow Day

Do we have a planned spot to meet up at yet (I know Bear Valley but a camp ground, business,etc)? We will probably head up a couple days early if possible. Can't wait!

Haven't heard anything about one yet. By the looks of things we may need to work on a rain dance or something. There isn't even any snow in the parks up the road from me.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Haven't heard anything about one yet. By the looks of things we may need to work on a rain dance or something. There isn't even any snow in the parks up the road from me.

Ya we went up and could barley find snow around our normal spots too. Even if there is no snow I say we have a backup plan to hit trails. Just my .02 :thumb:

Good news! (Sort of) It seems my locker is sitting in a warehouse in LA and might could be in my hands tomorrow and finally installed,along with the new axle, Saturday. We'll see if the store that must not be named can pull it off or not.:D

Fingers crossed

Lets try this and see what happens

Meeting location - Looks to be a big parking lot with plenty of space to play and air down while we wait for all to arrive:grouphug:
Gas - looking at Google Earth (imagery date 2007) gas station is not completed but hoping it is by now - bathroom and fill up?:thumb:
Bear Valley Meeting Location.jpg

Still looking at Corral Meadows trail unless there is additional input. Reading up a bit on it it seems to be pretty mild so it should be food for all.

Meeting location to trail head
Bear Valley Meeting Location with Trail Head.jpg

Corral Meadows Trail info from Bear Valley Website
Ride Stats:

length: 25 miles
time: 1:45:00
avg speed: 15 mph

This is a 25 mile loop, which starts at the Corral Meadow trailhead. The trailhead can be found about half a mile west of the Bear Valley town entrance. You'll know the trailhead by peeking off of Hwy 4 towards the north and you will see one of those National Forest trailhead signs. Actually you can also get there by turning into the "old subdivision", and take a left towards the west right away which turns into a dirt road and takes you to the trailhead. This latter method is only for motorcycles or mountain bikes... some boulders prevent 4 wheeled vehicles, including ATVs. Trucks and ATV's, please use the trailhead off of Hwy 4.

The trail takes you first to a peak at 7874 ft, Waypoint 1 on the map below. This spot gives you a nice view of the ski run Tigger, a black diamond run on the backside of Bear Valley Mountain Resort. You can continue on foot or mountain bike EAST from here, to Bear Valley Mountain Resort. This loop instead veers off to the east, to Waypoint 2, which provides a spectacular view at 8038 feet of the mountain ranges to the east and north. BTW, I passed a more or less stock jeep on the way to waypoint 1, so it's doable for a basic 4x4.

From here, you continue on to Corral Meadow area, though I didn't see any meadow at all. The trail all along has been a mixture of easy climbs to tricky segments with lots of basketball to larger sized rock in your way.

By the way, this trail is not marked well on the Garmin Topo West map. It does exist on the USGS Tamarack Quadrangle (purchased at nearby ranger stations). As I watched my handlebar mounted GPS, I was certain that this trail would take me to Salt Springs Reservoir, but the closest I got was 1.5 miles, on this trail.

As you continue on the way to Waypoint 3, you join USFS trail system 1A. This trail is actually a wide, flat fireroad, all the way back to Hwy 4. Some logging clearing/operations will mark your progress. Waypoint 3 is a red hunting cabin. Looks to me like it's open to the visitor who would come out this far. Very rough accommodations, not at all windproof, probably leaks alot. A wood stove inside, lots of firewood, and some supplies inside, cooking oil, small amount of water, pots/pans, matches will help you survive the night. There is an upstairs, so to speak, where the heat probably concentrates, and you could set up your sleeping bag there.
Two logs books, one full, the other half full, tell tales of visitors who stayed. Fire ring nearby, out house for when nature calls. If you come with food, there is a log strung up to hang your food out of bear reach.

Continuing on from here you join USFS road 7N09, which is even wider and flatter fire road. You'll probably start to see other off roaders, ATV'ers, etc. at this point. Eventually you exit the trail on Hwy 4, at the Cabbage Patch area. From here up to Bear Valley for a beer, it's about a 15min ride at speed.

Topo for reference
Bear Valley - Corral Meadow Trail Topo.jpg

Garmin GPS GPX file from OurBV Website - LINK - Sorry for the redirect - not sure how else to do this

Last edited:

Meeting location - Looks to be a big parking lot with plenty of space to play and air down while we wait for all to arrive:grouphug:
Gas - looking at Google Earth (imagery date 2007) gas station is not completed but hoping it is by now - bathroom and fill up?:thumb:
View attachment 61662

Still looking at Corral Meadows trail unless there is additional input. Reading up a bit on it it seems to be pretty mild so it should be food for all.

View attachment 61663

Corral Meadows Trail info form Bear Valley Website
Ride Stats:

Thanks Rccrwlr looks like a great spot. ridg3runner I think a rain dance is in order dusting off my goat hair head dress and turquoise jewelry, if not for the wheeling for the water...geez so dry everywhere. Even if no snow I agree will definitely still be fun. Crippledpetey/MagellanJenn, you and the kids could stay somewhere in Arnold that way you can make it to Murphy's for some wine tasting its a quaint little town, there’s spelunking and even some rappelling in one of the caves….kinda right up your guy’s alley! Arnold's half way between Murphy's and Bear Valley. Thinking we may stop in Arnold before trail head to grab some grub.

If this is the same as Corral Hollow trail, then this would be a good time. Easy for a stock Jeep. Snow will make it interesting. I ran this one solo.

Does it go by Bear Trap Csbin?

If this is the same as Corral Hollow trail, then this would be a good time. Easy for a stock Jeep. Snow will make it interesting. I ran this one solo.

Does it go by Bear Trap Cabin?

Never been on this trail but the description does talk about a red hut at the top. Not sure if this the your Bear Trap Cabin (fixed it for ya). You want to join the trip? We need a few that know the way...

View attachment 61662

View attachment 61663

Ride Stats:

Thanks Rccrwlr looks like a great spot. ridg3runner I think a rain dance is in order dusting off my goat hair head dress and turquoise jewelry, if not for the wheeling for the water...geez so dry everywhere. Even if no snow I agree will definitely still be fun. Crippledpetey/MagellanJenn, you and the kids could stay somewhere in Arnold that way you can make it to Murphy's for some wine tasting its a quaint little town, there’s spelunking and even some rappelling in one of the caves….kinda right up your guy’s alley! Arnold's half way between Murphy's and Bear Valley. Thinking we may stop in Arnold before trail head to grab some grub.

Let us know if you grab a bite. We may join you. Don't know the area so any suggestions would be cool.

^^^will do. I'll post on here too for anyone else who wants to join. Can't remember the name of diner it was years ago may be closed I'll let you know

Never been on this trail but the description does talk about a red hut at the top. Not sure if this the your Bear Trap Cabin (fixed it for ya). You want to join the trip? We need a few that know the way...

Been watching the thread and would like to go. Put me down as a maybe.

Have you guys narrowed down a time?

My wife wants to know if anyone is staying up there?

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388197429.070113.jpgIf this is the cabin, then it is the Corral Hollow trail. It's a good time and pretty easy. Snow will make it interesting.

View attachment 61662

View attachment 61663

Ride Stats:

What kind of music do we need to play for your rain dance?:D

Top Bottom