Napalm's Billet Steel Vol. 2! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Pictury Diary.

Glad to hear everything is working out for you :thumb:

Looking forward to your review on the element doors. If you need help spending the money in your Jeep fund, let me know... I can help. My Jeep fund is looking pretty bare right now :crazyeyes:

The Bestop Element Half Door Honest Review
IMG_3157.jpg

So I'm writing this review today due to my recent experience with the Bestop half doors. I ran them for about a month and got a pretty good feel for them. I've decided to write a review about them because there aren't many when talking about the doors with the Enclosure panels. A couple of disclosures here. 1. This is not a review of the Element Tube doors, this is a review of the doors with the Enclosure panels. I will refer to them as the Bestop Element Half Doors. If I say the Tube doors, I'm referring to the Tube doors used as the frames for the half doors. 2. I am in no way affiliated with Bestop in any way. I'm just trying to give an honest review. I use a lot of Bestop products, and really like the company and their customer service. So here we go. Anyone that owns these doors, don't get offended by my review. This was my experience with them.

The Bestop Element Half doors are an interesting thing. They are a set of "true" half doors for under $1k. A little over $875 to be specific. Are they all they cracked up to be? Short answer no. Let me tell you why.

1. Design/what you get

So for $875(give or take) you get a set of tube doors and steel Enclosure panels. They have to be purchased separately. The Tube doors come in pretty great packaging. They are lightweight and solidly built. They come with limiting straps, mirror brackets, and door latches. They do lock(yay) and you can purchase soft uppers for them. They are cut to the factory Half Door frame so they fit the Jeep well. I was very impressed with the Tube doors. The Enclosure panels are a 1/8 steel plate that's pretty heavy duty and solid. The problem is not the material, but the powdercoat that Bestop puts on them before they send them which I'll go more into detail later. The packaging for them is poor, they are shipped plastic wrapped together but without any other protection. The first set I received was destroyed with scratches, dents, and dings all over them. Bestop stood behind there product and replaced them, but it was frustrating that weren't packaged better. They are also shipped with extra hardware and weatherstripping. The construction and cuts of the steel doors is fine, and they are solid. The huge, and I mean HUGE flaw in their construction is the powdercoat that Bestop puts on them. There is no durability what so ever. You can take your fingernail and really just scratch it. After just handling and installing, the doors were pretty roughly scratched up. I think a better option would be to ship them raw, because there isn't any way you'd want to run them with all the scratches and powdercoat chipping off, at least in my opinion.

Install : Throw the install instructions out the window. They do nothing at all to help you install the Enclosure panels to the door. To do this, you have to install them using the latch, and a bolt hole plate. There are no holes in either the tube doors or the Enclosure panels for the latches. This make for a very difficult, time consuming, and frustrating install. Trying to line both panels together while passing bolts through and tightening them was rough. If you tighten the bolts just a little to much, either the latches will bend, or you'll see dimples in the Enclosure panels. To add gas to this fire, the latch moving around on the powdercoat while installing and adjusting scratches it up really nice. And even with masking tape and my extreme OCD, this was unavoidable. This was such a problem, I ended up getting another set of enclosures just because I knew one trip down the trail would destroy them. My issue with this is not the tough install, but it's the fact that Bestop markets them as being the most "versatile" Door available being that you can switch back and forth from the Tube door and the half door. Wrong. After finishing the install the first time, I swore I'd never take them off again. The doors also latch with the front mirror brackets, but you'll need to purchase a set of shorter bolts because if you use your factory ones, they will be too long causing your mirror not to be seated correctly. That results in more lovely scratches and a rattly mirror. Some shorter bolts fixed that up but it was something I had to go out and buy on my own.

So now, after the install is done and your looking at your Jeep thinking wow, I finally have half doors. The worst part is mostly over and now you can enjoy the fruits of your oddly difficult install and 2 gallons of sweat you just lost. BUT WAIT! You must adjust your door striker first otherwise the door won't shut. I realize that this is a pretty normal thing with half doors or any new doors, but rather annoying when you swap back and forth a lot.

So how do they run everyday?

Looks wise, they look great. From the outside, they look like an off brand Rugged Ridge Half Door. From the inside, not so much. I finally understand why people pay more to have door interiors. These doors just felt weird without them. They were hot, uncomfortable to touch in the hand, and just had an odd look from the inside. It felt very "unfinished". The doors do cut a lot of the wind from when running doorless and help keep a little heat in. The doors rattle. And they rattle a lot. A rattlesnake at a sold out Ed Sheeran concert rattles less than these doors do. A little electrical tape on the door strikers will keep it at bay but as soon as you get off the street on to the trail it comes right back. I realize that we Drive Jeeps and some rattles just happen. But these make the doors feel incredibly cheap and poorly built. The doors are surprisingly weatherproof. I took a drive through an area after a rainstorm and they kept almost all of the water out being thrown from my tires. I had mine powdercoated Metallic Silver, which did help the awful Bestop powdercoat, but wasn't enough to just make me want to keep them when push came to shove and it was time to move some extra Jeep parts.

VERDICT -

The Bestop Element Half Doors are great for someone who wants the "look" of Half Doors without the actual enjoyment of running half doors. The numerous issues and poor quality just outweight the fun and novelty of running half doors. They look great, but their functionality just killed it for me. They rattle, their two piece construction makes them feel cheap, and overall I just wasn't ever pleased with them. Running them and the Rancho Tube doors back to back, the choice was clear that the quality of the Rancho doors was just much higher. I kicked myself many times for making the swap to something of obvious lower quality.

Can I recommend them to someone? After my experience, a definite No. There are much better options out there. After you spend the money for these, your almost in to a set of EVO half doors, savvy half doors, or JCR Half Doors. IN MY OPINION, I did not feel that much of a difference when running these doors vs running no doors. I found myself often just taking them off and running doorless so that I did not have to deal with the shortcomings of the doors. When it came down to it, and I had to get rid of some extra Jeep parts for some quick cash, these doors weren't hard to part with. I guess Half Doors just aren't for me! Moving forward, I'll just run either full doors or no doors. There are a lot of other things on my build list that need to be higher above doors.

I hope this helps. Please, do not mistake my opinion for a vent session. I am a huge fan of Bestop and their company. This is an honest review to people that need to know.

Thanks [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Interesting. Sounds a lot like my Bestop soft half doors. I love them, but they rattle, feel "unfinished", etc. The only good thing about them is you can get uppers and lowers for less than $500 (on a TJ, that is...).

By the way, I'm SUPER impressed you typed all that on your iPhone :shock:

Nice write-up Nate. The "unfinished" look and feel of the inside of the doors is the only reason I wasn't pulling the trigger on these earlier. I talked to Bubba (granite_head) about his savvy's (pretty much the same as the bestop enclosures for the most part), and he reiterated to just pony up the extra cash for a set of rugged ridge or something similar. Long drives on the highway, in colder weather, is not going to be fun in these. All these things have me sticking with my full doors for now and eventually going with the strike force zebra's halfs and uppers (when they finish them) after I can sock away some dough.

GREAT REVIEW!

Interesting. Sounds a lot like my Bestop soft half doors. I love them, but they rattle, feel "unfinished", etc. The only good thing about them is you can get uppers and lowers for less than $500 (on a TJ, that is...).

By the way, I'm SUPER impressed you typed all that on your iPhone :shock:

The computers are out at the station thanks to a remodel.. but I can't leave you guys waiting for a review [emoji23] I considered those soft doors and honestly would have been much happier going that route. My expectations were low for those, but after spending over $1200 on these with paint, I expected more than something that still felt cheap and unfinished.

Nice write-up Nate. The "unfinished" look and feel of the inside of the doors is the only reason I wasn't pulling the trigger on these earlier. I talked to Bubba (granite_head) about his savvy's (pretty much the same as the bestop enclosures for the most part), and he reiterated to just pony up the extra cash for a set of rugged ridge or something similar. Long drives on the highway, in colder weather, is not going to be fun in these. All these things have me sticking with my full doors for now and eventually going with the strike force zebra's halfs and uppers (when they finish them) after I can sock away some dough.

GREAT REVIEW!

Glad you saw this! Bubba has a great point and I finally understand that how. The main reason I wasn't torn up about having to sell them was because I've found that half doors are not something that should have been as high on my build list as they were, and after all the coin I put into them, I just figured it could have been better used elsewhere. My wife and both prefer the doorless feel. Sometimes lessons are learned the hard way and this is what it took for me to figure out that I'm just not a half door kind of guy!

The rig is looking great :thumb: Nice write up on the doors. Hope you enjoy the OHV park.

Thank you. I've glanced at your build thread a few times recently and I have to say, likewise. The Jeep looks great and gives me a bad case of tire envy!

Damn, what an good honest review.

Glad you got a chance to read this. I know your considering the doors and I hope that my review doesn't come off as all negative, that wasn't my intention.

Took this yesterday, but packed up my Jeep and headed down to College Station for the week for some training.
IMG_3216.jpg

Really need to get back on doing more photos. Have gotten lazy!

Nice. They wanna send me to that. And water rescue. NC doesn't look too much better than here! But I won't mind a change of scenery.

Yeah; that's one reason I opted in to this class. Been spending some time on the medic training new probies and wanted an excuse to do some rescue work, LoL!

Spent the week completing some fantastic rescue training. This tower was the ultimate way to get over my irrational fear of heights. It was a huge challenge that I was almost unable to complete. Glad to say though I was able to complete the class, so it's only appropriate to have a picture of my least favorite thing with my most favorite thing :)
IMG_3236.jpg

Put a little over 400 miles on the Jeep. Headed to Barnwell next weekend, but first:

-full synthetic oil change
-tire rotation

Last edited:
Spent the week completing some fantastic rescue training. This tower was the ultimate way to get over my irrational fear of heights. It was a huge challenge that I was almost unable to complete. Glad to say though I was able to complete the class, so it's only appropriate to have a picture of my least favorite thing with my most favorite thing :)
View attachment 270284

Put a little over 400 miles on the Jeep. Headed to Barnwell next weekend, but first:

-full synthetic oil change
-tire rotation

Good job, congrats on the accomplishment. Loved search and rescue

Rain rain rain rain rain. Found some dirt though!
IMG_3255.JPG

No updates. Next purchase will be wheels and tires. Like GraniteCrystal, I've got a dedicated fund to get Steel on 35s. (Or maybe 295s...?) While I've used most of this fund to pay off some around the house debts such as new floors for the wifey[emoji39] I've got about $50 in there now and my goal is close to $2000 for a new set of wheels and tires.

We also have a new edition to our family, our newest little Jeeper Jack. He's a 4 month old black lab that loves riding in the Jeep!
IMG_3254.JPG

Top Bottom