Napalm's Billet Steel Vol. 2! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Pictury Diary.

Took the bikini top off today and took a cruise for some paint quotes for my half doors.
View attachment 262557
Here's what I found out!

Paint - Surprisingly, All the paint & body shops I went to stated that they could not paint the doors. This is because they are mostly only in the business of collision repair. They told me I'd need to find a custom paint shop but that I'd be looking in a ballpark of $600-$700 for the doors colormatched most likely.

Vinyl Wrap - I spoke to my Vinyl guy and he stated that it would be a very difficult job. He stated he couldn't wrap the entire door just the outside. He did have a perfect color match and quoted me $600 for all four doors.
View attachment 262562
View attachment 262564

Powdercoat - Possibly the best option of the day, there is a small powder coating and sandblasting shop just down the road from my house. He's been recommended to me by some in the area. While he can't offer a perfect match, he offered up this one for me as the best that he could do. He said with a clear coat, it would darken it slightly and maybe match a little better. He quoted me $250 for all four inside and out for powdercoat and clear coat. He said it would take about a week.

View attachment 262567
View attachment 262568

Thoughts?! Opinions? I've never had something powdercoated before. Is this gonna be my toughest/ most durable option or would a Vinyl wrap be more durable? Looks like paint is out of the question. Let me know what y'all think!

I was super excited to use it regardless of the situation. I'll be the first one to say that I am very uneducated when it comes to recovery and winching so I was glad to get the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You need ti find the shop that can match the paint perfectly, not the samples you have posted. I believe the billet silver paint code is PSC, I know that because I also have billet silver. Open you driver door and look at the sticker on the door jamb, your paint code is displayed there.
Good shop should be able to get this exact color. It'll probably be no less than $300 just to mix the paint plus whatever they charge for labor to paint it.
Here is pic of my sticker, sorry if it's upside down.
IMG_4206.jpg

Any good or well equipped shop will have a computer...such as a Chromavison by Dupont to read the color when adding the code to make a better color match. If not head to a paint supply store they will have, read, and mix it for you there. It will be close. Usually you need to blend into panel to hide the color difference,

You need ti find the shop that can match the paint perfectly, not the samples you have posted. I believe the billet silver paint code is PSC, I know that because I also have billet silver. Open you driver door and look at the sticker on the door jamb, your paint code is displayed there.
Good shop should be able to get this exact color. It'll probably be no less than $300 just to mix the paint plus whatever they charge for labor to paint it.
Here is pic of my sticker, sorry if it's upside down.
View attachment 262693

Any good or well equipped shop will have a computer...such as a Chromavison by Dupont to read the color when adding the code to make a better color match. If not head to a paint supply store they will have, read, and mix it for you there. It will be close. Usually you need to blend into panel to hide the color difference,

The only paint samples that were shown in these pictures were for Vinyl wrap and for powder coat. The powdercoat cannot be a perfect match, that swatch was the best/closest he could get for powder coating without the clear coat. I haven't found a body shop yet that will color match the doors for me.

Now, I'm sure all these paint and body shops have computers that can match the paint. If I could find one that would be willing to actually paint them, I could get an actual quote. That being said, $600-$900 bucks for that? Not sure if it is worth it to me plus the sacrifice of durability that I would get with the powdercoat.

Last edited:
Hey it's your choice, I personally wouldn't want to drive a clown car with paint not matching all the way around. It's gonna look goofy.

I understand what you mean. With the doors being Trail doors, I never expected protection. If I did, I'd have bought a set of RR or Mopar halfs. That being said, if these were my full time doors, I'd be much more OCD about them.

LOL! Man you are a drama queen. A clown car? Come on man, get over yourself.

Overlander commented on my build thread! My life is complete!

I might just be me and my OCD, but this is not acceptable in my book
View attachment 262705
Call me what you want but I wouldn't be able to live with something like this. It might look close on a little sample piece but once it's all said and done it won't look good.

If it were a bumper this would be an issue for me. But being a set of trail doors I'm not sure that it's going to bother me as much. Haven't committed to anything yet though.

I understand what you mean. With the doors being Trail doors, I never expected protection. If I did, I'd have bought a set of RR or Mopar halfs. That being said, if these were my full time doors, I'd be much more OCD about them.

Overlander commented on my build thread! My life is complete!

If it were a bumper this would be an issue for me. But being a set of trail doors I'm not sure that it's going to bother me as much. Haven't committed to anything yet though.

Am not trying to be an a-hole, just before you do anything make sure you will be happy with the final outcome. Good luck man!!!

I'd just go with the powder coat. Maybe if the paint were more durable but it's a big chunk of $ difference. And if by chance they still don't quite match you'll be sorry you spent the extra dough. Honestly I thought black would look nice as a contrast to the silver, but it's pretty jarring compared to what I thought. I think the powder coat will be close enough, you know it'll be durable and you're saving significant money.

Enjoying a nice shade tree next to my firehouse on this warm day!
IMG_2972.jpg

I'd just go with the powder coat. Maybe if the paint were more durable but it's a big chunk of $ difference. And if by chance they still don't quite match you'll be sorry you spent the extra dough. Honestly I thought black would look nice as a contrast to the silver, but it's pretty jarring compared to what I thought. I think the powder coat will be close enough, you know it'll be durable and you're saving significant money.

This is true. And like AZ explorer said, if the difference is just too much for me than I'll just sticker them up :)

How easy is it to take the enclosures on/off? I'm thinking about picking a set of these up, and running the enclosures in the winter. In the summer I want to have tube doors. Wondering if taking the enclosures on/off a couple times a year would wear out the seals, parts, etc.

It's been 2 weeks now time for a review on the new half doors. Are you keeping them or putting them up for sell? Curious minds want to know.

Where have you been, man? Hope you're staying safe out there. I know there are a ton of fires right now.

are-you-okay-85o129.jpg

Where have you been, man? Hope you're staying safe out there. I know there are a ton of fires right now.

I wonder myself.... he's always on here usually
I hope everything is ok man.

Agreed, last post 6/11. Almost a month ago...

I've actually started noticing his absence about a week ago when the chatter about the evo leveling kit dropped off. Hope everything is ok!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hey guys.. still here! Haven't been able to post much in the last few weeks... had a lot of personal stuff going on unfortunately so I've been trying to handle that.

Top Bottom