Mopar spicer Dana 60

They come with Eaton E-Lockers so I wouldn't compare them to factory e-locker. They will hookup directly to the Rubicon harness there for utilizing the factory switches but you will still have all the restrictions that Jeep implemented for lawsuit protection. But a simple switch can be used to bypass that. Oh, and this also came from a Spicer Rep.

Welcome to WAL, how about stopping by and giving us a wave.

Btw... what axles are you running with you hemi and 37's?

...Oh, and this also came from a Spicer Rep.

I guess whatever your Spicer rep told you was important enough to sign up here and make this your very first post. BTW, who is your rep and oh, welcome to WAYALIFE.

99% of the info on this thread is in the Performance Parts catalog from Mopar and the Dana60 brochure from the manufacturer.

http://www.spicerparts.com/sites/default/files/pdf/perf-ultimate60-62014.pdf

Only speculation I've seen is the caster built into the axle, the exact locker being used, and whether the track bar mount is raised or not. Everything else can be easily verified from documents put out by either Mopar or the manufacturer directly.

What you said is true and I've seen as much. I'm just wondering who all these "Spicer reps" are. :idontknow:

I think a few people here are getting info from a thread on jko. A vendor over there that ordered a set for what seems to be his personal jk is posting specs on a thread saying it came from a spicer rep. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
If you go on the Spicer website there is a link that says ask your local rep a question. I sent an email and that's how I received the answers that I've posted. I can't answer for anybody else that posted but I can tell you that's where my interest came from.

I think a few people here are getting info from a thread on jko. A vendor over there that ordered a set for what seems to be his personal jk is posting specs on a thread saying it came from a spicer rep. Take it for what it's worth.

yup exactly why I said "a spicer rep told me" does nothing for me. if you have a data sheet or one in your possession then we can talk. otherwise its all hearsay

That would be awesome, I was emailing back and forth with tech service at Dana and they told me 6*

Any place we can find the specs like that along with width and such

I'm quoting myself here - What happened was I asked about plug and play with a 2014 Rubi locker switches in one of my questions - so they in turn answered all my questions as if pertaining to a 2014 Rubi 44 axle. I have since cleared this up.

Here is a email response from Dana
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry Brandon, In your original email I thought you were inquiring on a 2014 JEEP JK which has model 44 axles.
I didn't know you were looking at possibility installing the Ultimate Dana 60. Below is the information your requesting:

1)At a 6.5deg pinion angle (Mopar design requirement), caster angle is 4.8deg. This is more than the stock production to account for the lift expected to accompany this axle in vehicle.

2 & 3) Both front and rear axles are approximately 69” WMS to WMS. This is about 4” wider than stock (2” per side).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOW with that being said - I find it very curious that none of this information is listed anywhere on their brochures. I suggest finding the information yourself and make your own decision.

(i'm not endorsing this product in anyway and for me the Jury is still out. However was inquiring about them to see if maybe they where a step above the current after market products available and a step below a race guilty product like dynatrac - "using the stock/good/better/best" model looking for "better") :beer:

In other words, they heard it from someone who heard it from someone, somewhere on the internet. The only way you can get more accurate information than that is to stay at a Holiday Inn Express :cheesy:

So that it isn't missed, I recommend Spicer parts all the time, recommend that people keep their Dana 44 rear and run their Dana 44 fronts for as long as they can and have ZERO issues with anything they make. In the end, they make great OE parts and to OE specs.

That being said, I find it funny that so many people are willing to pay top dollar for aftermarket suspension components, bumpers and bead lock wheels when building up their Jeeps but then would be okay to go with OE quality 60's just because it's "cheaper". The sad truth is, IF the JK's came with these Dana 60's from the factory, I don't think anyone would be looking to upgrade as they probably would be all that you need. But, when your talking about spending thousands of dollars for an upgraded axle, it's hard for me to imagine why you wouldn't want to save just a bit more and get the best too. Of course, most of the people I've talked to who try to justify the cost savings are the same people who were eager to throw all kinds of money at their factory Dana 30 or Dana 44.

But hey, that's just me. It's your Jeep and you should build it up however you want. :yup:

Thanks Eddie, you make a really good point there. I agree with you when you think long term. I've been really stuck on maybe going with this option because it's going to take a little longer to save up for two Pro rocks but in the end I know it will be worth it and won't have to worry about the axles while wheeling.

Thanks Eddie, you make a really good point there. I agree with you when you think long term. I've been really stuck on maybe going with this option because it's going to take a little longer to save up for two Pro rocks but in the end I know it will be worth it and won't have to worry about the axles while wheeling.

Well, I'm glad that you didn't take what I was saying the wrong way and hope others don't either. In all fairness, you may not need to worry about these new Dana 60s either as they may be plenty strong enough. The whole, "it's cheaper" thing is just what I don't get. I mean, it'd be one thing to say that it's a "better" axle but a lot of the guys wanting to buy this new Dana 60 just because it's cheaper are the same guys who would buy Poison Spyder bumper instead of Smittybilt one. I mean, the Smittybilts are cheaper - why not get one of them and save some money too?

Again, that's just the way I see it and really, I find it hard to believe that most of the people wanting to spend all this money on any 60 even need one in the first place.

So that it isn't missed, I recommend Spicer parts all the time, recommend that people keep their Dana 44 rear and run their Dana 44 fronts for as long as they can and have ZERO issues with anything they make. In the end, they make great OE parts and to OE specs.

That being said, I find it funny that so many people are willing to pay top dollar for aftermarket suspension components, bumpers and bead lock wheels when building up their Jeeps but then would be okay to go with OE quality 60's just because it's "cheaper". The sad truth is, IF the JK's came with these Dana 60's from the factory, I don't think anyone would be looking to upgrade as they probably would be all that you need. But, when your talking about spending thousands of dollars for an upgraded axle, it's hard for me to imagine why you wouldn't want to save just a bit more and get the best too. Of course, most of the people I've talked to who try to justify the cost savings are the same people who were eager to throw all kinds of money at their factory Dana 30 or Dana 44.

But hey, that's just me. It's your Jeep and you should build it up however you want. :yup:

I agree, I think the discussion and all the inquiry now it to answer those questions. Are they OE quality? Are they truly cheaper? Is it even possible to do a Apples to Apples comparison?

My take is once you get them to a apples to apples they are not less expensive and differences and features you can't get to match for comparison will not be worth the cost saved if any. Then it comes down to need versus want.

For me the need to compare is NOT to justify any cost savings it is to Justify the extra cost in trying to get the best product - if that makes sense.

I've been saving for nearly 3 years (May/2012) for my Dynatrac 60/80 combo to become a reality.....they are now 6-8 weeks out from delivery.......I wanted the best of the best and be one and done......3 years went by pretty quickly.....looking forward to the upgrade as my 30/44 combo is showing the wear (D30 C's are bent & axle droop) running 35"s....

I thought about these Mopar E-Locker 60's when I saw them in the SEMA thread and was initially interested but they just came out and had no real world trail data to backup their reliability so that and the fact that Dynatrac has been the leader in the field and is considered one of the best if not the best I went with them instead....

~Woodrow~

Last edited:
For me the need to compare is NOT to justify any cost savings it is to Justify the extra cost in trying to get the best product - if that makes sense.

For the kind of wheeling you have done and still want to do, you've bought EVO suspension parts when you could have bought TeraFlex. You bought ATX Slabs when you could have bought ProComps. Seems to me that you HAVE been justifying the extra cost to get the best possible products on everything else. Just sayin :crazyeyes:

I've been saving for nearly 3 years (May/2012) for my Dynatrac 60/80 combo to become a reality.....they are now 6-8 weeks out from delivery.......I wanted the best of the best and be one and done......3 years went by pretty quickly.....looking forward to the upgrade as my 30/44 combo is showing the wear (D30 C's are bent & axle droop) running 35"s....

~Woodrow~

That's awesome and congrats to you! It sure is amazing how fast time flys. God only knows I have been doing what I do for over 20 years now and JUST NOW finally have the kind of toys I have always dreamed of. :yup:

Top Bottom