MetalCloak Game-Change 2.5" Lift - 6-Pack Edition

I see what you mean now. I will pay attention to that when I get out on a trail and see the articulation.

If I cannot max out the shock then t doesn't matter if it has 40" of travel. I will see if I can steal a forklift and give 'er the lift.

Thanks!

:cheesy: No, I don't think you do get it now. What I'm saying is that you don't need a set of gimmicky $400 (a piece) shocks to give you the amount of true vertical travel that your lift kit provides. Hell, if you reconnect your track bar and lower control arms, I can almost guarantee that you'll see even LESS vertical travel thus making your shocks an even BIGGER WASTE of money for the amount of lift that you have.

So why didn't you have your doctor and secretaries (must be a badass to afford so many) install that lift you bought?

Their job isn't to do that... I did have the doctor purchase me a car one time tho... That was kind of cool... I just had to go in and sign, and write a check... However the car is in his name as well... LOL

:cheesy: No, I don't think you do get it now. What I'm saying is that you don't need a set of gimmicky $400 (a piece) shocks to give you the amount of true vertical travel that your lift kit provides. Hell, if you reconnect your track bar and lower control arms, I can almost guarantee that you'll see even LESS vertical travel thus making your shocks an even BIGGER WASTE of money for the amount of lift that you have.

Correct. Like I said, I understand what your saying... Your shocks only matter if the suspension is setup to take advantage of them. While shocks do help sometimes, they will only help at the minimum and the maximum points, if your suspension, cannot max them out, then you've just wasted a lot of cash.. I more than likely could have just went with the OME's or Rock Sports and gotten the same travel.

My trackbar, lower, and upper control arms were connected in that picture. I can gain 3-4 inches on the bump stops possibly.. Depends on what I see, I went with the maximum of 4 inches, which I didn't have to do with the 35's I have for it. MetalCloak recommended 1 inch bump stops, but some people have reported using none.

Last edited:
My trackbar, lower, and upper control arms were connected in that picture.

LOL!! I was just going to edit my post. I looked more closely and see that the factory lower control arm was just sitting on the ground. That being said, doesn't change anything else I've said regarding the shocks.

It almost seemed like Eddie was trying to protect maybe some vendors he works closely with, and smash a product, that hes has never tested.

Oh boy....here we go......please also tell us about all the free parts Eddie gets...

LOL!! I was just going to edit my post. I looked more closely and see that the factory lower control arm was just sitting on the ground. That being said, doesn't change anything else I've said regarding the shocks.

Yeah, I'll run some tests and hell if it was a waste of money hopefully we can at lease deter people from buying the expensive shocks, and but the cheaper kits. I was originally just going to go with the OME's and had just sold my 4runner for 5k, so I said screw it.

Went a little crazy buying stuff for this rig.. Probably should have done it a little slower, and paced, but didn't really mind. I missed out on a lot of trail time because of the sale of the runner. That thing was a beast, just wish it had a solid front axle.

Oh boy....here we go......please also tell us about all the free parts Eddie gets...

I see advertisements for some vendors. I am sure Eddie works closely with a few. I didn't say anything about "all the free parts Eddie gets". I don't care. I use to run a large forum, and I worked very closely with some vendors like CoolerMaster, SuperMicro, etc etc. I gave them advice, and helped them out, and when people came to the forums to bash them. I'd try to turn the conversation around. That's what I got paid for. I did get some random cool things, but the parties were better... hehe :)

Yeah, I'll run some tests and hell if it was a waste of money hopefully we can at lease deter people from buying the expensive shocks, and but the cheaper kits. I was originally just going to go with the OME's and had just sold my 4runner for 5k, so I said screw it.

Went a little crazy buying stuff for this rig.. Probably should have done it a little slower, and paced, but didn't really mind. I missed out on a lot of trail time because of the sale of the runner. That thing was a beast, just wish it had a solid front axle.

So that it isn't missed, I don't have a problem with expensive shocks IF I think they are worth it. I have just found the Metal Cloak 6-pack shocks to be gimmicky at best and for the cost, you're about half way to a good set of coil overs. From what I have seen on the trail, they don't do much for absorbing big hits and most people have had to have them replaced and on more than one occasion due to leaks and other problems. Of course, bringing this full circle, my only point was to clarify the difference between "shock travel" and true "vertical travel" as they are NOT the same thing. Just because you have a lot of shock travel doesn't mean you'll have the same amount of vertical travel.

Why does this forum seem to always draw this kind of useless conversation. Seems like some people have way too much time on their hands.

I see advertisements for some vendors. I am sure Eddie works closely with a few. I didn't say anything about "all the free parts Eddie gets". I don't care. I use to run a large forum, and I worked very closely with some vendors like CoolerMaster, SuperMicro, etc etc. I gave them advice, and helped them out, and when people came to the forums to bash them. I'd try to turn the conversation around. That's what I got paid for. I did get some random cool things, but the parties were better... hehe :)

LOL!! On top of everything else, you've also run a "large forum"?? :clap2:

Well my friend, this is far from a "large forum" and just because you chose to run yours how you saw fit doesn't mean that I run mine the way you did.

So that it isn't missed, I don't have a problem with expensive shocks IF I think they are worth it. I have just found the Metal Cloak 6-pack shocks to be gimmicky at best and for the cost, you're about half way to a good set of coil overs. From what I have seen on the trail, they don't do much for absorbing big hits and most people have had to have them replaced and on more than one occasion due to leaks and other problems. Of course, bringing this full circle, my only point was to clarify the difference between "shock travel" and true "vertical travel" as they are NOT the same thing. Just because you have a lot of shock travel doesn't mean you'll have the same amount of vertical travel.

I agree with you 100%. I hope I didn't waste a load of cash, so only getting this thing on a trail, or doing some sort of benchmark on it would be best to see if it even uses the full range of motion that it has available, and like you said if it doesn't I just threw away quite a bit of cash.

Shock travel != Vertical travel.

I will keep you posted as I know more. Again hopefully if someone goes with MetalCloak we can deter them from making a huge mistake of buying expensive shocks that they cannot even fully utilize.

Thanks Eddie!

LOL!! On top of everything else, you've also run a "large forum"?? :clap2:

Well my friend, this is far from a "large forum" and just because you chose to run yours how you saw fit doesn't mean that I run mine the way you did.

Not anymore... It's been ages. I let it die about 4-5 years ago, when my business started picking up greatly. (2010-2011). I had to dedicated my free time on keeping things going while I was hiring staff and stuff. Up to 36 employees now.

I am not saying that you run your business how I ran my business. But to run a forum has quite a bit of advantages. I had people kicking down my door to help them... Free drinks, lunches, etc etc.

Now I got to take people out for drinks, and lunches... Oh how things have changed.

Eddie knows more about suspensions than I will ever know, and certainly doesn't need anyone helping to explain what he says about them but look at this....

1: Take your shocks off your jeep
2: with the rest of the components hooked up jack the axle as far up as it will go
3: lower the axle as far as it will go (without letting the spring come out of its perch)
4: measure the distance it moved
5: subtract that number from your "Vertical travel" number

The result is the amount of shock travel wasted because your shock doesn't determine up travel or down travel limits unless it is too long (up) or too short (down)

All he tried to tell you (that you still won't listen to) is the available travel based on the picture, which seems to show the springs at slightly more than full extension (loose in the cups) all the travel you can get is the measurable distance between the bumps - no more, and that this distance is almost exactly the length of the top half of the shock so all the travel afforded by the bottom (or half this travel from each of the top and bottom combined if you want to be pissy about it) is all you can get.

No you are not an engineer, engineers listen when an expert tries to show or tell them something. Especially when pictures are provided.

Eddie knows more about suspensions than I will ever know, and certainly doesn't need anyone helping to explain what he says about them but look at this....

1: Take your shocks off your jeep
2: with the rest of the components hooked up jack the axle as far up as it will go
3: lower the axle as far as it will go (without letting the spring come out of its perch)
4: measure the distance it moved
5: subtract that number from your "Vertical travel" number

The result is the amount of shock travel wasted because your shock doesn't determine up travel or down travel limits unless it is too long (up) or too short (down)

All he tried to tell you (that you still won't listen to) is the available travel based on the picture, which seems to show the springs at slightly more than full extension (loose in the cups) all the travel you can get is the measurable distance between the bumps - no more, and that this distance is almost exactly the length of the top half of the shock so all the travel afforded by the bottom (or half this travel from each of the top and bottom combined if you want to be pissy about it) is all you can get.

No you are not an engineer, engineers listen when an expert tries to show or tell them something. Especially when pictures are provided.

Thanks for the advice, I will try the steps above.

Eddie, and myself are in complete agreement, and I understand what he was talking about 100%.

Not anymore... It's been ages. I let it die about 4-5 years ago, when my business started picking up greatly. (2010-2011). I had to dedicated my free time on keeping things going while I was hiring staff and stuff. Up to 36 employees now.

I am not saying that you run your business how I ran my business. But to run a forum has quite a bit of advantages. I had people kicking down my door to help them... Free drinks, lunches, etc etc.

Now I got to take people out for drinks, and lunches... Oh how things have changed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452474336.859739.jpg

Are you liquid for 100k?? We've seen your types come and go faster than you can tap your Apple Pay button. Just keep digging your hole here cool guy.

Way to introduce yourself with some humility. You've proved to be a dick.

View attachment 181741

Are you liquid for 100k?? We've seen your types come and go faster than you can tap your Apple Pay button. Just keep digging your hole here cool guy.

Way to introduce yourself with some humility. You've proved to be a dick.

Liquid for 100k? None of your business. I do ok... :)

Not sure how... You guys have been more harsh towards me than I have ever even attempted to be towards you...

Are you guys more liberal leaning here on this forum?

Top Bottom