Mail Call - 1975 Jeep DJ5

Looks good. How's the condition of the leaf spring bushings?

They are dry rotted. I’m debating throughout these back on until I get the jeep finished and then order new ones or just order new ones now.

Oh and must be Jeeps have always had a lean. My passenger side had a spacer in it.

IMG_7135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

They are dry rotted. I’m debating throughout these back on until I get the jeep finished and then order new ones or just order new ones now.

Oh and must be Jeeps have always had a lean. My passenger side had a spacer in it.

You can get replacement bushings for cheap or replace them with polyurethane. That block may have come from the factory to help compensate for driver weight.

You can get replacement bushings for cheap or replace them with polyurethane. That block may have come from the factory to help compensate for driver weight.

It was on my passenger side ;) everyone else’s driver side. Lol

Yeah I’ve seen the bushings. Might do that too. The leafs look in pretty good shape. I guess they won’t be that springy since I’m pretty sure this thing has about 3.5” of travel total. Lol

Yeah I’ve seen the bushings. Might do that too. The leafs look in pretty good shape. I guess they won’t be that springy since I’m pretty sure this thing has about 3.5” of travel total. Lol

They're a bitch to get out, but certainly cheaper than new springs.

It was on my passenger side ;) everyone else’s driver side. Lol

Never mind your right. Forgot spring under. :crazyeyes:

The passenger side was leaning so I was debating taking it out. Although I don’t know if it was still leaning when I was sitting in it.

I’ll see if I can dig up one of Les’s old hats. Hang it from your mirror or something. lol

Old spring bushings can be a PIA. Start soaking in penetrant. If you soak em good I’ve had decent luck with a couple whacks using a punch and dead blow.

I’ll see if I can dig up one of Les’s old hats. Hang it from your mirror or something. lol

Old spring bushings can be a PIA. Start soaking in penetrant. If you soak em good I’ve had decent luck with a couple whacks using a punch and dead blow.

She worked for the post office? Hell yeah I’d put that in the jeep.

I've had so many on older vehicles that required a torch and air hammer. Hope yours go smoother.

Never mind your right. Forgot spring under. :crazyeyes:

The passenger side was leaning so I was debating taking it out. Although I don’t know if it was still leaning when I was sitting in it.

Before you remove anything, replace the bushings on the springs and shackles. I had a bad lean on Jane and to the point where I thought her frame might be twisted. I replaced the bushings and she sat level again.

Maybe but fuck that! I’d rather buy a press.

A press is always a great thing to have and they're cheap at HF but you'll most likely find that it'll just press out the rotted out rubber and leave the metal collar frozen to the leaf. I've found it necessary to use an air hammer to get them out.

Before you remove anything, replace the bushings on the springs and shackles. I had a bad lean on Jane and to the point where I thought her frame might be twisted. I replaced the bushings and she sat level again.

Cool will do. Ordered new bushings last night and the TRE I ordered should be here tomorrow to see if it’s the right fit. Hopefully putting it together this week.

Top Bottom