EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

So you’re saying is ok to run black bear in the rain???

Well, I might wait for a dryer day for that one

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Just a heads up rain showers can turn to snow at higher elevations in July and August.

Last time I ran Black Bear there was sleet turning to snow at the start of the trail and for the first quarter, it cleared up and was sunny and dry by the time I started going down. I started the trail at 9 am and got stuck behind a long line of Toyotas with some people needing spotted down the entire way after the stairs, it took 2+ extra hours because of that.

I have also ran the entire trail in the rain, the stairs get a little sketchy but it is very doable.

Just a heads up rain showers can turn to snow at higher elevations in July and August.

Last time I ran Black Bear there was sleet turning to snow at the start of the trail and for the first quarter, it cleared up and was sunny and dry by the time I started going down. I started the trail at 9 am and got stuck behind a long line of Toyotas with some people needing spotted down the entire way after the stairs, it took 2+ extra hours because of that.

I have also ran the entire trail in the rain, the stairs get a little sketchy but it is very doable.

I remember watching Eddie’s video of them doing it in the rain, not ideal, but they made it just fine. Short of that little brake line issue [emoji15]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I remember watching Eddie’s video of them doing it in the rain, not ideal, but they made it just fine. Short of that little brake line issue [emoji15]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

No time to start second guessing things!!! It’s getting close to go time!!!!! Couple short months of shake down runs, maybe new suspension or two for some of us and we are gone.

Without me doing a bunch of reading. What are the dates for wheeling in Colorado? I did see 7-9, but it looked like the 7th might be a travel day from Moab. Or are you guys planning three full days in Colorado.

I’m really pumped because it looks like I will be able to wheel in Colorado. Not sure about Moab, but this would be so awesome to hook up with you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Without me doing a bunch of reading. What are the dates for wheeling in Colorado? I did see 7-9, but it looked like the 7th might be a travel day from Moab. Or are you guys planning three full days in Colorado.

I’m really pumped because it looks like I will be able to wheel in Colorado. Not sure about Moab, but this would be so awesome to hook up with you guys.

My reservations for Ouray are arrive on the 7th & depart on the 10th so at least 2 full days in Co. Depending on the arrival time in Co we should be able to do something the 7th I would imagine. It's only 3 hours from Moab to Ouray, right?

My reservations for Ouray are arrive on the 7th & depart on the 10th so at least 2 full days in Co. Depending on the arrival time in Co we should be able to do something the 7th I would imagine. It's only 3 hours from Moab to Ouray, right?

My hope is to get an early start in Moab on the 7th and be at a trail head in Ouray by noon to run a trail that afternoon. It’s about a 3.5 hour drive between the locations.

I hope this works out Jeff, that would be awesome if you can make it!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

My hope is to get an early start in Moab on the 7th and be at a trail head in Ouray by noon to run a trail that afternoon. It’s about a 3.5 hour drive between the locations.

I hope this works out Jeff, that would be awesome if you can make it!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

This sounds good to me.....

This sounds great, hopefully the passes will be open by then this year. They weren’t open last year, I’m not sure about the snow fall last winter.

So you’re saying is ok to run black bear in the rain???

Well, I might wait for a dryer day for that one

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

It depends how hard it's raining. But I have run it in a light rain and Imogene in a pretty hard rain. Just saying, bring a rain coat and keep going. The weather can change fast.
Most likely Black Bear will be run in the morning so less chance of rain.

It depends how hard it's raining. But I have run it in a light rain and Imogene in a pretty hard rain. Just saying, bring a rain coat and keep going. The weather can change fast.
Most likely Black Bear will be run in the morning so less chance of rain.

Agreed, thanks for heads up

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom