EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

As it stands right now any travel out of Md requires a 14 day quarantine. Now the issue is it’s not written in the latest executive order. Was only vocalized during the last press conference. However, they start adding language like that within the various state orders then travel becomes a problem. I don’t give a shit about it but the places many of us are renting from may take a different position.
Looks like a tent and MREs are going on the list of things to pack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think you guys are going to be fine come August...I would expect most everything will be open...even NYC, to some extent. I've had quite a few email discussions in regard to my fishing trips to AK and Kamchatka, and the general consensus is that my trips in late July (AK) and 1st week of Aug (Kamchatka) will be a go. My plan B was to join you guys (I even have a condo credit from my cancelled EJS trip in Moab)...so either way I win...

I think you guys are going to be fine come August...I would expect most everything will be open...even NYC, to some extent. I've had quite a few email discussions in regard to my fishing trips to AK and Kamchatka, and the general consensus is that my trips in late July (AK) and 1st week of Aug (Kamchatka) will be a go. My plan B was to join you guys (I even have a condo credit from my cancelled EJS trip in Moab)...so either way I win...

That’s great to hear. Although plan B sounds like more fun to me!

Where’s everyone staying at in Colorado? Ouray or Telluride?

Cabin, Airbnb, hotel?

Last edited:

Cabin, Airbnb, hotel?

I got an Airbnb in Ouray. I think a few others did as well. That was honestly the harder place to find a spot. Wasn’t a lot of options when I was booking.

I got an Airbnb in Ouray. I think a few others did as well. That was honestly the harder place to find a spot. Wasn’t a lot of options when I was booking.

Yeah options are limited, and more expensive, at least it’s for a few days less than we’re in Moab so not as bad.

Yeah options are limited, and more expensive, at least it’s for a few days less than we’re in Moab so not as bad.

Same here^^. We're on the outskirts of Ouray

Yeah, Colorado is in peak season while Moab was in off season. We are basing out of Ouray. It’s about and hour plus to drive around to Telluride. I have a cabin just north of town.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Cabin, Airbnb, hotel?

We stayed in the KOA campground last year. It’s maybe 5 miles out of town. Pretty nice and they have a restaurant on site. (Ouray)

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

Well I’m all booked!!!

2 nights camping with just my son at the Moab KOA, rented a townhouse just north of Tierra Del Sol for the remainder after my wife and daughter show up, Cabin north of Ouray for the rest of the trip.

I was excited before, but now I’m totally pumped!!!!!!!

Well I’m all booked!!!

2 nights camping with just my son at the Moab KOA, rented a townhouse just north of Tierra Del Sol for the remainder after my wife and daughter show up, Cabin north of Ouray for the rest of the trip.

I was excited before, but now I’m totally pumped!!!!!!!

Awesome Andy! This is really going to be an adventure to remember

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Just an FYI: It can rain everyday in CO in the summer so be prepared for that. You can wheel everything around Ouray/Silverton/Telluride in the rain so it shouldn't affect your runs. I have been there when it didn't rain for a week and I have been there when it rained every afternoon. Bring a raincoat and all will be well, the weather can change just by crossing a pass.

Just an FYI: It can rain everyday in CO in the summer so be prepared for that. You can wheel everything around Ouray/Silverton/Telluride in the rain so it shouldn't affect your runs. I have been there when it didn't rain for a week and I have been there when it rained every afternoon. Bring a raincoat and all will be well, the weather can change just by crossing a pass.

I spent a week in Crested Butte one summer. Every afternoon a rain/thunderstorm rolled through for about an hour. It would pass and the sun would come back out. Like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I spent a week in Crested Butte one summer. Every afternoon a rain/thunderstorm rolled through for about an hour. It would pass and the sun would come back out. Like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So you’re saying is ok to run black bear in the rain???

Well, I might wait for a dryer day for that one

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom