California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail

Published in 1849, the Emigrant’s guide suggested the following tools and equipment for three people heading west on the Oregon Trail...

Tools & Equipment: Plow, shovel, rake, hoe, carpentry tools, saw, ax, mallet, plane, spade, whetstone, axles, kingbolt, ox/mule shoes, spokes, ropes and chains

This weekend a few of us WAYALIFE California or Bust party members got together to discuss what tools and equipment we would be bringing on this epic trek across the California Emigrant Trail. As you will notice, what we are bringing is not a whole lot different from what the emigrants brought for the long dangerous journey back in 1849.

Don: Hand Tools, Grinder, Ball Joints, 1310U-Joint, Drive Belt, Axles, Coolant and Lubricants, Recovery Gear, Spill Kit, Fire Extinguisher, CB/Race Radio, BBQ, Cast Iron Pot, First Aid Kit.

Ray: Hand Tools, Grinder, Inverter, Welder, Water Pump, Alternator, Upper and Lower Rad Hoses, Brake Lines, Hi Lift Jack, Pitman Arm Puller, Ball Joint Tools, Hitch Vice, 6’ Chain, Tie Rod Puller, Miracle Tape, Recovery Gear, Bottle Jack, Spill Kit, Fire Extinguisher, CB/Race Radio, First Aid Kit.

Et: Hand Tools, Electric Drill, Drill Bits, PSC Hoses, Brake Line, C-Clamps, Bottle Jack, Hitch Vice, Scrap Metal, Recovery Gear, Spill Kit, Fire Extinguisher, CB/Race Radio.

Tony: Hand Tools, Coolant and Lubricants, RTV Sealer, 1310U-Joint, Drive Belt, Tire Repair Kit, Various Nuts and Bolts, PSC Hydraulic Lines and Fittings, Recovery Gear, Spill Kit, Fire Extinguisher, CB/Race Radio, First Aid Kit, Torque Wrench, Jumper Cables.

Because you never know if when you might need to change a flat tire...

View attachment 83744

"On the trail there are no markets, no hospitals, no laws, and no second chances" ...and especially no tools or oil! :crazyeyes:

Impressive. Looks like I'm gonna be traveling light for the days I'm with you guys. ;)

Maybe some licorice rope or something? :idontknow:

Impressive. Looks like I'm gonna be traveling light for the days I'm with you guys. ;)

Maybe some licorice rope or something? :idontknow:

Actually, we had a discussion regarding who would be bring the remaining provisions necessary to make the final leg of this epic trip through the mysterious Rubicon trail. The majority of our party came to this conclusion...

MTG: Food: Flour (1,080 lbs), bacon (600 lbs), coffee (100 lbs), tea (5 lbs), sugar (150 lbs), rice (75 lbs), dried fruit (50 lbs), salt/pepper (50 lbs), saleratus (10 lbs), and lard (50 lbs). Also, corn meal, hardtack, dried beef, molasses, vinegar, eggs and beans. Cooking Utensils: Oven, skillet, kettle, coffee grinder, teapot, knife, ladle, tin tableware, water keg and matches.

:bleh:

MTG: Food: Flour (1,080 lbs), bacon (600 lbs), coffee (100 lbs), tea (5 lbs), sugar (150 lbs), rice (75 lbs), dried fruit (50 lbs), salt/pepper (50 lbs), saleratus (10 lbs), and lard (50 lbs). Also, corn meal, hardtack, dried beef, molasses, vinegar, eggs and beans. Cooking Utensils: Oven, skillet, kettle, coffee grinder, teapot, knife, ladle, tin tableware, water keg and matches.

And don't bring the cheap stuff. We like high quality food.

Actually, we had a discussion regarding who would be bring the remaining provisions necessary to make the final leg of this epic trip through the mysterious Rubicon trail. The majority of our party came to this conclusion...

I have plenty of lard, I'm just not sure how usable it is and what the hell is saleratus?

Edit: Precursor to baking soda. Learn something new every day I suppose.

I have plenty of lard, I'm just not sure how usable it is and what the hell is saleratus?

:cheesy: Sodium Bicarbonate/baking soda! Oh yea, I forgot to tell you that you will be cooking too...:yup:

Last edited:
Me either. :)

BTW--I already have a package of Starbucks instant coffee to pay you (or Ray) back from last year. :yup:

No repayment needed :crazyeyes: … but contributing to the cause is always appreciated! :thumb:

Shout out to JeepFan - Make sure the coffee is ready before we get up. and Ray and I get up really early. ;)

Published in 1849, the Emigrant’s guide suggested the following tools and equipment for three people heading west on the Oregon Trail...

Tools & Equipment: Plow, shovel, rake, hoe, carpentry tools, saw, ax, mallet, plane, spade, whetstone, axles, kingbolt, ox/mule shoes, spokes, ropes and chains

Doesn't look like anyone is covering electrical. Maybe it goes without saying, but on a trip like that I would also carry some spare wire, a good variety of fuses and connectors, and some relays.

I'm sooooo jealous of you all. Yet another trip of a lifetime.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like anyone is covering electrical. Maybe it goes without saying, but on a trip like that I would also carry some spare wire, a good variety of fuses and connectors, and some relays.

I'm sooooo jealous of you all. Yet another trip of a lifetime.

Could catch. Except for relays, I have fuses bulbs and wire with a small assortment of connectors.

I always have spare wire, connectors, fuses, meter, etc. :thumb: JeepFan carries a good supply of D Cell batteries for his …well … never mind.

I always have spare wire, connectors, fuses, meter, etc. :thumb: JeepFan carries a good supply of D Cell batteries for his …well … never mind.

Don carries a good supply of lithium ion batteries for his grinder...You never know when you might need to grind your King bump stop in half!

Top Bottom