Would cowl mounted floods make good brush lights?

I am thinking of getting some 3" LED pods with a flood pattern and mounting them to the cowl. But I was thinking of mounting them facing out to the side of the jeep so they will illuminate the road side for low hanging/protruding brush and suicidal deer. I've read that floods on the cowl can cause some glare on the hood. But I wonder if having them mounted at an angle would eliminate much of that glare??

I am thinking of getting some 3" LED pods with a flood pattern and mounting them to the cowl. But I was thinking of mounting them facing out to the side of the jeep so they will illuminate the road side for low hanging/protruding brush and suicidal deer. I've read that floods on the cowl can cause some glare on the hood. But I wonder if having them mounted at an angle would eliminate much of that glare??
It will not. I would recommend doing more of a spot patter tho. They will be bright enough to illuminate all of what you’re wanting to see.

I have installed a few sets of Baja designs LP4 lights on the cowl and even doing a set of Baja squadron pros on a 392 on Monday.

I have the SS over amber spots on the Rigid dual mount.

Unless I'm up front the Side Shooters are just too bright for trail runs as they blind everyone outside the jeep around me. They're a bit overkill for a ditch light in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20220430_110816.jpg
    20220430_110816.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have the SS over amber spots on the Rigid dual mount.

Unless I'm up front the Side Shooters are just too bright for trail runs as they blind everyone outside the jeep around me. They're a bit overkill for a ditch light in my opinion.
I have a switch pro so sometimes I do dim them.

Last edited:
I went with spots and they are working good. But while I was in their Sunday (all damn day), I made an effort to redo all the accessory wiring since I was also pulling the old $22 Amazon bumper mounted light bar to replace it with a "better" one. I added a junction block so I could have a way to neatly run the wires and easily identify each of the four OEM switch circuits. I ran a lot of the wiring, that used to be zip tied in the engine bay, along the built in wire channel in the back of the engine bay. I also got rid of the split loom conduit for the exposed wiring and replaced it with the braided stuff. It really cleaned up the mess in there. I have solenoids for the air compressor and winch which get their signal from the 5A circuits. And I am running the two sets of lights, one each, on the 40A circuits.
But, after all that, turns out the new light bar is garbage at $179 I thought I was upgrading, but the spot/flood puts a little rectangle of very bright light right in front of you. And I end up staring at it the whole time. So after all that work, I have to rip out that harness and return the light. I think I'm going to try the Roadshock Edge 6 lights on the bumper instead of a light bar. Unfortunately LP6s aren't in my budget.

The rectangle of doom -- this is with my high beams and a-pillar lights on. But you can still see that rectangle...
WTFRect.jpg

The wiring, less messy...
JL Rewire.jpg

A cleaner option than the cowl would be these. I can’t personally testify to them as mine are still in the box on the workbench. Lots of folks liking them, and the videos of them look good.IMG_7724.jpegIMG_7725.jpegIMG_7726.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they are. I would expect nothing less from you.👍
You seriously think a view master looks good hanging off the side of a Jeep?

il_fullxfull.1625002289_9ap4.jpg

You seriously think a view master looks good hanging off the side of a Jeep?

il_fullxfull.1625002289_9ap4.jpg
I think it looks utilitarian. Not beautiful, yet not hideous. It’s not for everyone, some folks are trying to impress others, while some folks are trying to safely navigate canyons and trails.
Good thing so many manufacturers give us so many options. Would be boring as hell if we all agreed on the same things.

I think it looks utilitarian. Not beautiful, yet not hideous. It’s not for everyone, some folks are trying to impress others, while some folks are trying to safely navigate canyons and trails.
Good thing so many manufacturers give us so many options. Would be boring as hell if we all agreed on the same things.

Those have been around for a long time. If you're looking for good quality lights those really aren't the answer. You're better off ponying up for purpose specific lights. There is a huge difference between say Baja Designs and Rigid, vs those LED's on the mirrors.

Those have been around for a long time. If you're looking for good quality lights those really aren't the answer. You're better off ponying up for purpose specific lights. There is a huge difference between say Baja Designs and Rigid, vs those LED's on the mirrors.
I’ve got other purpose designed lights on the bumper. Was just throwing these out as an option for those who don’t care for cowl mounted lights, or who might have a Mojave like myself and the cowl options are really limited.
Contrary to popular belief, all cowls are not created equal.

Top Bottom