Watcha cookin'?

There actually are studies that show we have approx 60 harvests left until the soil will no longer be able to support current growth.

Now sustainable farming is a much different story.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I’ve heard that as well. I have about an acre of my lot that’s not being used other than for my 3 sheep to keep the grass down. I’m drawing up plans for a permaculture setup that, once established, will provide enough food for my entire street. Downside is that I should’ve started this 3 years ago when the house was built as it takes roughly 10 years to get truly sustainable and self-sufficient.

I’ve heard that as well. I have about an acre of my lot that’s not being used other than for my 3 sheep to keep the grass down. I’m drawing up plans for a permaculture setup that, once established, will provide enough food for my entire street. Downside is that I should’ve started this 3 years ago when the house was built as it takes roughly 10 years to get truly sustainable and self-sufficient.

Sweet, that’ll be fun.

Growing up we had an acre at my uncles place that was a garden. That whole side of the family worked it and ate from it. That was my mom and four of her siblings/spouses and 16 of us grandkids. We only bought produce in the winter if we didn’t want stuff we had canned.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sweet, that’ll be fun.

Growing up we had an acre at my uncles place that was a garden. That whole side of the family worked it and ate from it. That was my mom and four of her siblings/spouses and 16 of us grandkids. We only bought produce in the winter if we didn’t want stuff we had canned.

How did you deal with keeping the weeds down? The last time I did a really big garden, like a 1/4 acre, it was just unmanageable for me by myself. On smaller gardens I used to use newspapers and straw which was nice to have worked back into the soil, but that's a massive pain in the dick to lay that much down and not have the shit blowing everywhere.

How did you deal with keeping the weeds down? The last time I did a really big garden, like a 1/4 acre, it was just unmanageable for me by myself. On smaller gardens I used to use newspapers and straw which was nice to have worked back into the soil, but that's a massive pain in the dick to lay that much down and not have the shit blowing everywhere.

Who needs a weed wacker when you have 16 grandkids and at least five adults to pull the weeds out[emoji848]
I believe the answer to your weeds problem is that you did not spread enough seed around.

Last edited:

Who needs a weed wacker when you have 16 grandkids and at least five adults to pull the weeds out[emoji848]
I believe the answer to your weeds problem is that you did not spread enough seed around.

That^^

Lots of hands. Lol

Honestly I don’t know answer. I was a lot younger and can’t remember. I just remember going out there as a kid and picking rocks and weeds for what seemed like an eternity. But being a kid it was probably like 20 minutes.

My dad has always had a fairly large garden and he plants his rows about 6-8 inches wider than the tiller. Then he only has to hand weed 3-4 inches on either side of the plants. After about a month the plants get big enough and not much grows under them. The only thing you really have to spend time weeding is things like carrots, radishes and onions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

My dad has always had a fairly large garden and he plants his rows about 6-8 inches wider than the tiller. Then he only has to hand weed 3-4 inches on either side of the plants. After about a month the plants get big enough and not much grows under them. The only thing you really have to spend time weeding is things like carrots, radishes and onions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is what I’ve always done and my dad has done that for years.

Top Bottom