Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

Pot meet kettle..........It's actually Rausch Creek there Biff :D

~Woodrow~

Accepted. At least I was closer than the original commenter. Thank you.

Oh, and in relation to the most recent spate of commentary of Overlanding vs Rock Crawling and how Jeeps can't be overlanders, I might note that my last visit to Rausch Creek had a number of those named vehicles running around--and avoiding many of the trail 'features' my JKU was taking factory stock--simply because they weren't 'agile' enough for them. A tight turning radius can sometimes be critical for maneuvering and a Tacoma, specifically, had to do a series of forward/reverse maneuvers just to make one turn that the JKU made in one pass. A full-sized RAM bypassed it entirely. Sure, the open mud was easy, but even overlanders have to be capable of at least some technical hazards.

Last edited:
He missed the "s" and you missed the "a" but who's counting :idontknow:..........Grammar Nazi's are a no go here........we all know what Coz was eluding to so calling out someone because they spelled something wrong is lame......unless of course you're Brankz then it's accepted :bleh:......and oh yeah......You're welcome!

~Woodrow~

Last edited:
He missed the "s" and you missed the "a" but who's counting :idontknow:..........Grammar Natzi's are a no go here........we all know what Coz was eluding to so calling out someone because they spelled something wrong is lame......unless of course you're Brankz then it's accepted :bleh:......and oh yeah......You're welcome!

~Woodrow~

At least I acknowledged and accepted the correction--and added to the commentary without trying to insult anyone.

At least I acknowledged and accepted the correction--and added to the commentary without trying to insult anyone.

You're right you did accept it........But to add that you were closer to the spelling of the word makes you more right.......who gives a shit.....don't be a hypocrite......If you felt like you were insulted by my comments to you grow some thicker skin.....

~Woodrow~

You're right you did accept it........But to add that you were closer to the spelling of the word makes you more right.......who gives a shit.....don't be a hypocrite......If you felt like you were insulted by my comments to you grow some thicker skin.....

~Woodrow~

I'm not at all insulted, Woodrow, despite your attempts to flame me.

As for what it has to do with overlanding,OverlanderJK, the overall discussion over the last two days has been about how the Jeep supposedly can't be an overlander when compared to 4Runner/Land Rover/Range Rover/... and my point is that not only can the Wrangler be an overlander (along with at least a couple other models) with space and relative comfort but that it can also do so at least as well as them when equipped equivalently--including, if necessary for fording, snorkles. After all, not all rivers are only a half-meter deep but neither are they all three to ten meters deep, now are they? Even the Rovers get modifications to give them added capability over stock models in the event of "surprises". Jeeps are not alone in that aspect, though Jeeps do tend to get more extreme mods for those who treat rock crawling as a sport rather than a simple means to get from point A to point B--as do many bigger platforms.

I'm not at all insulted, Woodrow, despite your attempts to flame me.

As for what it has to do with overlanding,OverlanderJK, the overall discussion over the last two days has been about how the Jeep supposedly can't be an overlander when compared to 4Runner/Land Rover/Range Rover/... and my point is that not only can the Wrangler be an overlander (along with at least a couple other models) with space and relative comfort but that it can also do so at least as well as them when equipped equivalently--including, if necessary for fording, snorkles. After all, not all rivers are only a half-meter deep but neither are they all three to ten meters deep, now are they? Even the Rovers get modifications to give them added capability over stock models in the event of "surprises". Jeeps are not alone in that aspect, though Jeeps do tend to get more extreme mods for those who treat rock crawling as a sport rather than a simple means to get from point A to point B--as do many bigger platforms.

What does the spelling have to do with overlanding. Drop it already. JFC.

LOL!! And I wouldn't want to go wheeling at Rauch Creek for a few hours either.

I've seen the videos you've posted showing your jeep get-togethers. All they show you doing is meeting up somewhere driving over a technical trail, then heading back to a town or public campsite for burgers and beers. There is nothing wrong with that, but you guys aren't living out of your vehicles the same way that other off-roaders are when they are camping in Utah back-country for days at a time.

And exactly where in New York are their places to explore that are so remote you need an "overlanding" rig? :crazyeyes:

You obviously aren't familiar with upstate NY, Maine, and Vermont. There are a lot of remote wilderness areas to explore...maybe you should make the trip sometime in your rig.

:cheesy: You'll forgive me but, you don't have a clue as to what some of us do with our Jeeps.
I have some idea. I think you have very little clue what those "pretentious" car-campers do with their rigs.

Last edited:
I've seen the videos you've posted showing your jeep get-togethers. All they show you doing is meeting up somewhere driving over a technical trail, then heading back to a town or public campsite for burgers and beers. There is nothing wrong with that, but you guys aren't living out of your vehicles the same way that other off-roaders are when they are camping in Utah back-country for days at a time.

You obviously aren't familiar with upstate NY, Maine, and Vermont. There are a lot of remote wilderness areas to explore...maybe you should make the trip sometime in your rig.

I have some idea. I think you have very little clue what those "pretentious" car-campers do with their rigs.

I am familiar with with upstate NY, Maine and Vermont. With the exception of Maine the other two do not have anywhere near as remote as northern Nevada offers. Even Maine has too much private land but is a little more open.

:cheesy: You'll forgive me but a video of us living out the back of our Jeep in the middle of nowhere would be more boring than watching paint dry. But hey, if we don't have a video of us doing it, I suppose that's proof enough of for you that we never do it. :crazyeyes:

BTW, there are more remote places you can go here in the U.S. beside the White Rim Trail. ;)

Been to NY but not Main or Vermont and certainly didn't know there was any public land that you could literally get lost in up there. What I do know is that if I were to drive an hour or maybe two in any direction, I would be in the next state. :idontknow:

:cheesy: Don't kid yourself, I meet pretentious guys like you all the time and get "told" what you do with your rigs even if I don't ask. You on the other hand have no idea. If you did, we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

And exactly where in New York are their places to explore that are so remote you need an "overlanding" rig? :crazyeyes:

Also, why are you talking about what we need in our jeeps? No one needs to buy a jeep and go rock crawling or trail exploring, nor do they need to get a kitted out Land Cruiser and go explore Australia's outback.

People want to do those activities so they choose to mod their vehicles accordingly.

I've seen the videos you've posted showing your jeep get-togethers. All they show you doing is meeting up somewhere driving over a technical trail, then heading back to a town or public campsite for burgers and beers. There is nothing wrong with that, but you guys aren't living out of your vehicles the same way that other off-roaders are when they are camping in Utah back-country for days at a time..

You realize that those videos are not the only trips they have done right? Have you looked at any of the other numerous picture threads or is this thread your one stop shop?

I think you have very little clue how "pretentious" you are. :yawn37:

Been to NY but not Main or Vermont and certainly didn't know there was any public land that you could literally get lost in up there. What I do know is that if I were to drive an hour or maybe two in any direction, I would be in the next state. :idontknow:

If you think you can get out of the central Adirondacks and into another state in under two hours, you obviously don't know NY. Same applies for Vermont and Maine.

And yes, there are large amounts of public land in all 3 of those states that I mentioned. But, you already knew that, right?

Public camp sites? Lmao. You are so full of shit, you believe yourself

Sometimes going to an off-road park like Rausch Creek is simply fun; however, it's also an excellent way to get to know what your vehicle is really capable of doing. Being able to handle those technical bits means you're less likely to get stuck when out camping or even driving through deep snow which even I get where I live. BUT, until recently my Jeep was my daily driver and so it got used for a lot more than merely park-crawling. My in-laws live on a farm in Pennsylvania and even their driveway can be a real mud pit on occasion, making anything less capable sometimes questionable getting into and out of the farm. I'm not a sport driver in the sense of wanting to take on the Rubicon Trail, but knowing my Jeep can take me to campsites such as you describe with little effort makes getting away from the crowds much more pleasurable--I don't like crowds.

On the other hand, my desires to go camping have been hampered by my own and my wife's health--we unfortunately suffer from the much higher humidity we experience here as compared to what you find in the plains states and westward--outside of coastal Washington and Oregon. I would probably camp out much more if I still lived in Nevada or Colorado as I did over 30 years ago. High humidity today simply saps my strength in a manner that can be embarrassing when compared to what I used to endure. It's also why I wouldn't live in Florida, despite otherwise loving the state. If I moved at all now, it would probably be east of the Rockies but west of the Mississippi, and far enough south and west to avoid the worst snowstorms, which would put me in West Texas, southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. It just so happens some of my favorite geographical locations are in that area as well. That also means I could attend some of the Jeeping events more easily out that way.

Also, why are you talking about what we need in our jeeps? No one needs to buy a jeep and go rock crawling or trail exploring.

:cheesy: You're right, nobody "needs" anything other than a car and a tent to do what you choose to call "overlanding".

nor do they need to get a kitted out Land Cruiser and go explore Australia's outback.

Well, you would know more than me.

People want to do those activities so they choose to mod their vehicles accordingly.

People with built up Jeeps here in America want to go anywhere AND go camping as well and so they CHOOSE to mod their vehicles accordingly. People who like to buy expensive kitchen sets and house size tents and load up their rigs full of crap they don't really need give themselves self-important titles.

If you think you can get out of the Adirondacks and into another state in under two hours, you obviously don't know NY. Same applies for Vermont and Maine.

LOL!! So I was exaggerating a bit. So let's not for just a moment. How far can you actually drive in any of these areas without coming across some form of civilization? This would include a paved road, a power line or someone's property. Be honest now.

And yes, there are large amounts of public land in all 3 of those states that I mentioned. But, you already knew that, right?

Sorry, I had to use a magnifying glass to see just how much land constitutes "large amounts" in your neck of the woods.

Map_of_all_U_S__Federal_Land.jpg

:yawn37:

Well if you get technical about it, we do camp on public lands so wouldn't that constitute a "public camp site"? :crazyeyes: :D

No, if you have to dig a hole to take a shit. It's not what I consider a public site. IMO

I suppose if we were over landers we would have a tent for that

LOL!! So I was exaggerating a bit. So let's not for just a moment. How far can you actually drive in any of these areas without coming across some form of civilization? This would include a paved road, a power line or someone's property. Be honest now.

Sorry, I had to use a magnifying glass to see just how much land constitutes "large amounts" in your neck of the woods.

View attachment 144032

:yawn37:

Are you familiar with the Adirondack Park? It's considered state land, so it wouldn't show up on that map you provided. But here is snapshot of what I am talking about:

Adirondack_Park_map_with_Blue_Line.svg.jpg

Same goes for Vermont and Maine...your more likely to encounter state land and parks than you are federal...just the way it is.

By the way, I've come to realize I'm not the only one who views your attitude as hostile and narrow-minded:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186817

It seems even many of your jeep comrades have a problem with how you treat other off-roaders.

Top Bottom