Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

I see the resemblance GCM2. :naw:

Honestly, I was born and raised in the land of Cajuns and this cat in the video is definitely not an anomaly down in the bayou. You can't spit without hitting ingenuity like this in the swamps, it must be something in the water :cheesy:

Honestly, I was born and raised in the land of Cajuns and this cat in the video is definitely not an anomaly down in the bayou. You can't spit without hitting ingenuity like this in the swamps, it must be something in the water :cheesy:

Haha! This guy actually reminds me of a guy I work with. Sometimes I think an interpreter would help when I try and communicate with him. Awesome. :yup:

Haha! This guy actually reminds me of a guy I work with. Sometimes I think an interpreter would help when I try and communicate with him. Awesome. :yup:

I read this in an accent. I loved it when I was in Louisiana. Very good people and awesome food.

So, I've been having some conversations about suspension systems and the topic of "rock crawling" versus "overland" came up and I have to say, I have no real idea what building up a Jeep for "overland" or "expedition" wheeling is all about. I mean this in all seriousness but really, what constitutes "overland" anyway? More times than not, when we go wheeling, we plan extended camping trips, wheel across vast stretches of desert and/or mountains of which sometimes require carrying extra gas and water and of course, we always carry a welder and enough gear to not only recover and fix our Jeep with all its unique parts but, also for others with their specific parts. Having said all that, we always try to build up our Jeeps not to be a "rock crawler" or "overland expedition" vehicle per se but, to perform to the best of their ability on and off road - period. In fact, up until a few years ago, we honestly thought that "overland" referred to a Jeep that had a roof rack and a snorkel on it. So, I ask you - here in America, what exactly is "overland" wheeling and, how exactly does a Jeep built up for that differ from any other good Jeep build? Inquiring minds would like to know :yup:

IMHO Overlanding is quite literally being as independent as possible (in your Jeep) :rock:. I see it as "being ready for anything". Actually here's a description I found to be quite descriptive: Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.

So I think with a roof rack, a snorkel, a welder, an air compressor, recovery gear, etc. you're pretty much ready for everything, which makes you ready to overland!

IMHO Overlanding is quite literally being as independent as possible (in your Jeep) :rock:. I see it as "being ready for anything". Actually here's a description I found to be quite descriptive: Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose.

So I think with a roof rack, a snorkel, a welder, an air compressor, recovery gear, etc. you're pretty much ready for everything, which makes you ready to overland!

Dang it! Now I have to buy a welder....... I'm not hitting a trail without one, period ;)

I think it's been mentioned a few times now but, before the term became trendy, we used to call it "wheeling". If you were out for multiple days, as GCM 2 said, we called it "camping" :yup: :crazyeyes: :D

Bummer, don't have a roof rack or snorkel so I guess I'm not ready for much of anything. :grayno:
main.php

We definitely wouldn't have been able to ford water deep enough to completely submerge our 40" tires without a snorkel...
main.php

Dang it! Now I have to buy a welder....... I'm not hitting a trail without one, period ;)

You don't have a welder?? Man, you're just so not ready for anything - I'm so not going wheeling with you again :rolleyes2:

:cheesy:

You don't have a welder?? Man, you're just so not ready for anything - I'm so not going wheeling with you again :rolleyes2:

:cheesy:

We don't need one now......We just call Mark and Travis to come on all trail runs now!

Welder, and a tire machine. There's goes the "where you gonna get that big old 40" tire fixed at?" theory.

image-2906133009.jpg

image-2926392984.jpg

Silly Baja Chase truck thinks its an "overlander"!

image-2142737760.jpg

Attachments

• image-4097306694.jpg
    image-4097306694.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 167
  • image-130896457.jpg
    image-130896457.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Eddie and Greg:

If you gents buy me Rescue 1 (today is my birthday), I will quit my job, become a master welder, and follow you both from this day forward on all overland trips. I'm just looking out for you guys.

-Sharkey

Eddie and Greg:

If you gents buy me Rescue 1 (today is my birthday), I will quit my job, become a master welder, and follow you both from this day forward on all overland trips. I'm just looking out for you guys.

-Sharkey

Well son of a gun, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sharkey!! :celebrate:

Eddie and Greg:

-Sharkey

Very generous of you. I will admit that if we buy this Rescue 1 for you, it really is a huge responsibilit. You will have to care for it, fuel it, and clean it. We may even need to send you to some type of professional overlanding college to ensure you have all the proper credentials needed to conduct travel over surfaces such as (but not limited to) gravel, uneven dirt, holes, rough pavement, sand, wet grass, small sticks, cobble stone.
Basically driving "over" various "land". Challenging, yes. Anxiety filled, possibly. Are you ready to keep it tight?

Every time this thread gets bumped up, the "rock crawlers" come out to bash the "over landers" which just seems odd to me since both groups are out to to do the sane thing in getting off the beaten path and enjoy nature. I just don't get it.

Top Bottom