Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor Mid Arm Pro Lift - Opinions?

Does the max travel have shorter rear control arms I think I read that somewhere before? I have the max travel kit and it's ok I wish I didn't get the 5100's with it but ordered new shocks today.

I have a question who makes good control arms that would be better than RK? I have not been impressed with their control arms and if and when I change out the uppers wonder if there is a better option for short arms than RK?

Evo front control arms are nice, they are supposed to release rear ones soon I think. Currie makes good arms also. Anything with Johnny joints on both ends is what you're looking for.

On a short arm kit is it good to replace the uppers? I guess it might depend on the lift size I am running 2.5 inch lift and was wondering.

On a short arm kit is it good to replace the uppers? I guess it might depend on the lift size I am running 2.5 inch lift and was wondering.

I just replaced my front lowers to set my caster, all 8 arms aren't needed on a 4 door.

I have the AEV 4.5" with 37s.. And I'll admit it, I made a mistake in my overpriced brackets lift! I wish I had taken rides in it first, and done a whole lot more research. It does ride really firm on pavement, but it does handle really well in the turns. Overall I'm just not happy with what it affords me for off road stuff. Most of the powder coated brackets have lost all their powder coat in 1.5 years, and i have hit the drop brackets several times. I am now saving $ for double D long arm with bolt on coil overs / ( DTD bracket up front) for the future DTD all way around...... Some day!)

So for what's its worth, try some, and for the love of god stay away from a tri-link rear!! Lol

Evo front control arms are nice, they are supposed to release rear ones soon I think. Currie makes good arms also. Anything with Johnny joints on both ends is what you're looking for.

I agree with ^^^^
I have the 3.5 X factor mid arm on my jeep. I had the kit on for less than 12 months (7000 miles) and had to replace all the control arm ends. I wished I would've known about evo back when I bought mine, so I could have done it right the first time.

Last edited:
I only have one complaint with my Rk lift. The frame side control arm bushings are terrible. After only about 1,800 miles my first one went... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423744701.925438.jpg Other than those bushing I like everything else they make.

Last edited:
Mine look like crap and I have not been off-road very much at all. The powder coat started to flake off after just a few months maybe not even 3. I was just wondering which short arm control arms are the best for lasting a long time and can take a beating. Also if the uppers were something to get or stock is fine.

Mine look like crap and I have not been off-road very much at all. The powder coat started to flake off after just a few months maybe not even 3. I was just wondering which short arm control arms are the best for lasting a long time and can take a beating.

Personally, I prefer Currie or EVO arms as they come with Johnny Joints on both ends. Super tough arms and ones that I have personally put to the test. If you're NOT running coil overs, Full Traction or Clayton arms are pretty nice too as they come with bonded rubber bushings on the frame end and they will help absorb a bit more road noise. With really big flex like what you get with coil overs, you will blow the bushing - ask me how I know. What I would NOT recommend are TeraFlex arms as you WILL blow your China Joints again and again and again. I am not a fan of RK arms because they are 1" too long and have squeaky polyurethane frame side joints that will crumble as shown above. Of course, this is all just my opinion based on my experiences.

Also if the uppers were something to get or stock is fine.

With a small lift, you only really need adjustable front lowers to help set your caster. IF you install a new rear drive shaft, adjustable rear upper arms are needed to set your pinion angle. You DO NOT need any other arms but, if you can afford them, getting all 8 will allow you to dial in your suspension a bit more.

I think I will replace all my lowers once these wear out with EVO arms. I do like the added ground clearance they offer over stock that's about it so far.

I only have one complaint with my Rk lift. The frame side control arm bushings are terrible. After only about 1,800 miles my first one went... View attachment 124094 Other than those bushing I like everything else they make.

Call RK..I had the same thing happen to me. They made several batches that contained bad bushing made by Daystar. They sent me 4 extra bushings at no charge. If I could find them, haven't searched much, I'd buy and install press in bushings and put them into the RK control arms. When/if I go long arm though I think I'll switch to currie or evo.

Great post!

Hello I was ready to pull the trigger on the Rk 3.5" mid arm xfactor. How did you get that price? $1250 gosh I can really use the savings.

Thank you for your time.

I've had the RK 3.5" X factor kit on my JKU for about a year, I have ridden and driven in many setups.

My thoughts...

I love my RK setup. The quality of parts is great and seem to be very well built. The 3.5" nets about 3.75-4". If you purchase a new kit (not used or purchased in the last 7 months) you will receive the triple rate coil springs which helps with ride quality. The jeep flexes pretty well and feels very stable through things. I, however, do not attribute this to only RK since I believe my shocks/tire combo provides the ride I was looking for more than the RK kit itself.

I believe that you can piece meal or buy a kit for cheaper that will provide you the same benefits as the x factor kit. My experience has shown me that its a full package deal. One big thing, if DD'ing, that will change your ride is the shocks. I paired mine up with Rancho 9000's. Also, wheel/tire combo will have a drastic affect on street-ability--I went with the duratracs and a buddy has Toyo MTs...his does better in mud but mine is better on the road. Another thing to get is the adjustable control arms. The buddy, previously mentioned, has a Rough Country 4" lift and I think could benefit heavily from adjustable control arms and different shocks. His ride would probably be the same with control arms and shock change.

You can get the same ride quality and performance by going with pretty much any kit, ensuring to get adjustable control arms, and the correct shocks for your need. I've had numerous people mention that RK's stuff is supposed to be stiff and not good for DD'ing. This might have been true with the old coils that RK put in their kits (no longer) and depends on their shock choice.

I set mine up with DDing in mind first. I'm running RK 3.5" X Factor, Rancho Shocks, 325/65 Duratracs and the thing is smooth as glass and flexes really well on the weekends. You can obtain this ride without spending as much though. I'm happy with what I have because I got a killer deal on the x factor kit ($1250) but would have looked at other kits harder if I was spending the 1800-2000 MSRP.

Nothing wrong with the "slowly add to it" philosophy but, it'll cost you more in the long run. I know this wasn't directed toward me but for me, I'm not a fan of control arms that are 1" too long and marketed as being "mid" as in, they're some how half way to being long arms. True long arms are typically about 10" longer than factory and will have new mounts installed on the frame to keep your axles where they need to be - NOT 1" further out. Also, their coils ride on the firm side to me or, at least their older ones did. I do have a new set of their triple rate coils I need to test out and so the jury is out on them.

Why do they make them that long then if it's unnecessary? Just always been curious..

I have the rk 3.5 and with a good amount of hard wheeling done I haven't had any issues. They're new joints seem to be far better than the old. But I do agree the axle placement is odd to me. Overall I don't think you can go wrong with it. Are the better options... for sure, and as other stated, definitely look at them.

If I were to get a new lift I'd definitely be looking the evo way but haven't been in a jeep with anything evo on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Call rancho. You get a well made lift and their springs ride great. Granted I only went with the evo 2 inch plus rides (which are made by rancho) to level my ride and added 1.75 inch rear spacers as I have a 2dr. Paired those with rs9000xl rancho shocks. I will add that I am likely going to change the spacers and rear springs as I will be adding a lot of weight to the rear end once I get a new bumper with tire carrier.

sent from your basement

Interesting thread revival...

I commented earlier in this thread. Now that it is 2017...here is an update on my experience with this kit since I'm still running most of it.

I've replaced both of the track bar mounts (front and rear) because the front one broke off of the axle. May have been due to poor welding, but the design acted like a lever on the weld joints. RK's old design were weld on only and did not have a U-bolt design for added strength. They may have changed that design from a few pictures I've seen recently. I replaced both track mounts with the EVO ones and re-installed my old track bars. The overall ride quality improved and I've had no issues with them.

The other issue I had was due to the 1 inch extension (pushing the rear axle backward an inch). This caused my rear track bar to rub on the passenger side rear spring. Some have this issue, others don't. I ended up fabricating a new rear track bar body mount bracket. This moved the body mount for the track bar back an inch to match the axle extension. No more rubbing...but added fabrication work.

I haven't had a bushing issue, but I keep my bushing and Krawler joints lubricated per RK's instructions and I always lube them before I do a trail run.

Overall the suspension ride is a bit stiff, but I haven't had an issue on a trail yet. I stick to moderate level trails and I use only as much skinny pedal as needed.

If you are set on this kit and you want a killer deal you may be able to find someone who is or has removed it on the for sale or wanted forums.

Good luck,
Matt

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

I have this kit on my 13. If I lived in socal I would've went to Evo and discussed my options. I like my kit dont get me wrong, plenty of flex good customer support, I think the ride is prolly better on plush coils but a fully loaded jeep says a little with them, from what I read. Rk is on the stiff side, but I dont mind it. Fyi, this is the only kit Ive owned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had this kit on my 2012 jeep that I just sold. I put 70,000 miles on it in 5 years. In a lot of ways it's a solid kit. The arms and joint lasted very well. What I didn't like, it moves rear axel back which created other problems, it came with stuff you really don't need and the front and rear track bar brackets are shit. I broke the front and put a synergy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom