My life with a Brick

I cannot imagine tracing down a short in something as complex as a modern Jeep. I've tracked down electrical gremlins in a motorcycle before. Pulled the entire loom off the bike, opened it up, and inspected every single damn strand of wire. Third pass through found a slightly worn spot that barely showed metal. Taped it up and bikes run great since.

I've sold 2 other vehicles that had intermittent shorts. Just didn't have the energy or care enough to try to fix it. Junked the cars.

Sounds like your current mechanic is lost IMO. I would think someone with experience with Jeep and tracing these problems should be able to isolate the usual suspects to figure out what is causing your issues. If they aren't doing that then they are just throwing stones hoping to hit something. Granted I wouldn't trust a dealership with it either.

Wish I knew more about Jeeps electrical and you were a little closer. I'd probably start by pulling the loom and giving it a thorough inspection for wear, if it's worn open it up and look at the wire cladding. From there isolate what you can to still run the jeep. You can even potentially use a DC generator to power some of the components to make sure they're not tripping (well, I'm not sure if this is possible with canbus or if they sense the components aren't getting power...).

Good luck man!

I cannot imagine tracing down a short in something as complex as a modern Jeep. I've tracked down electrical gremlins in a motorcycle before. Pulled the entire loom off the bike, opened it up, and inspected every single damn strand of wire. Third pass through found a slightly worn spot that barely showed metal. Taped it up and bikes run great since.

I've sold 2 other vehicles that had intermittent shorts. Just didn't have the energy or care enough to try to fix it. Junked the cars.

Sounds like your current mechanic is lost IMO. I would think someone with experience with Jeep and tracing these problems should be able to isolate the usual suspects to figure out what is causing your issues. If they aren't doing that then they are just throwing stones hoping to hit something. Granted I wouldn't trust a dealership with it either.

Wish I knew more about Jeeps electrical and you were a little closer. I'd probably start by pulling the loom and giving it a thorough inspection for wear, if it's worn open it up and look at the wire cladding. From there isolate what you can to still run the jeep. You can even potentially use a DC generator to power some of the components to make sure they're not tripping (well, I'm not sure if this is possible with canbus or if they sense the components aren't getting power...).

Good luck man!

I honestly don’t know if he’s lost or just doesn’t have time to work on it. The dealership he works for let’s him use the scanner and things but he may be putting it off to do quicker jobs? I really don’t know. I do know I don’t have any electrical knowledge and I’m not willing to give up my time after work from my wife and daughter to fuck with it. I’ll replace it before I’d do that. I’m to the point I’m over the whole thing, they made a million of them I can start over!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A whole new harness is like 700. That and a new pcm would fix most issues I believe.

I did just get a recall for pcm issues on both of my jeeps. We haven’t gotten one on Tina’s jeep that is a ‘17 yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

At this point I would give this consideration...

That’s exactly why I haven’t sold it yet. Everyone I text or talk to not work related is a friend I’ve made on WAYALIFE, and I’m not willing to throw all that away

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The potential loss of the community would be a big concern of mine also. It seems that Chrysler had a lot of problems with other models TIPM as well, and I would therefore try to find out a way to confirm the repair from Mac's was done correctly, in order to rule out the TIPM

At this point I would give this consideration...

If the wiring harness/loom is your primary suspect I'd do this... Return it if it doesn't fix your issues. I would have done that for my motorcycle electrical gremlins. But the harness was almost twice as much. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much knowing full well I could find the short myself (I'm guessing the bikes loom is a lot shorter and easier to scan than what the JKU harness/loom looks like).

The potential loss of the community would be a big concern of mine also. It seems that Chrysler had a lot of problems with other models TIPM as well, and I would therefore try to find out a way to confirm the repair from Mac's was done correctly, in order to rule out the TIPM

We could take the TIPM out of Brick and throw it in mine. See if the problems transfer over.

Top Bottom