JL Steering Box

cinnur

On a recent off road adventure, I might have damaged my steering box.
On a rock climb, my front alignment was knocked out, and my steering wheel was put 90 degrees out of sync.
No breaks or bends on any linkage found, and all has been put back in order. Some of the adjustments on the linkage are near or at max adjustments to get all back in alignment.

I can stay with all as it is since everything is operating correctly, but not finding any breaks or bends the steering box is on my mind as a possibility of being compromised in some manner.

Thoughts here on this situation?
If I change the steering box, stick with OEM, or get some third party upgrade unit?

My vehicle:
2019 JL 3.6.

So, am I and several others who looked at this missing the cause?

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3940.jpg
    IMG_3940.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 33
I admire my track bar, so I just wanted to share it!
:)

Are these shots of better use?

Attachments

• IMG_3947.jpg
    IMG_3947.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3944.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 27
Looking at drag links online, it does appear that mine does have a bit of an extra curve in it.
Would anyone agree?

Do these additional pictures help?

Attachments

• IMG_3948.jpg
    IMG_3948.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3949.jpg
    IMG_3949.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 31
That looks bent to me.
Myself and four others missed it on the trail.
The bend almost looks natural at first glance.

What catches my attention is that the Jeep service center I had work on the problem completely missed it.

Thanks all for the help in identifying the problem.

I kind of remember going through this on my JK… I was convinced my draglink was bent, bought a new one and it looked the same… your steering wheel probably rotated out of center because the threads jumped at the coupler. Happened every time I got off a hard trail… switched to a Synergy Drag Link and the problem went away.

It was 90 degrees counter clockwise.
Hmmm. If the drag link was bent (effectively shortening it) the wheel would have been out of phase clockwise. Jumping threads such as @TrailHunter suggested would turn the steering wheel counterclockwise.

I’ve had hard trail bumps knock the steering wheel out of phase with worn ball joints or the drag link had a loose bolt, worn bolt hole or a bad ball joint.

Upgrading the drag link is never a bad thing.

I kind of remember going through this on my JK… I was convinced my draglink was bent, bought a new one and it looked the same… your steering wheel probably rotated out of center because the threads jumped at the coupler. Happened every time I got off a hard trail… switched to a Synergy Drag Link and the problem went away.

^
I vote this for the win.

I too would have to recenter my steering wheel after hard trails with the stock DL.

Someone I was with at EJS this year bent their stock DL at that coupler joint specifically, right in the middle.

Edit: NVM. Just realized you have a JL. I don’t have any experience with that.

Top Bottom