In The Shop - Disciple Off Road

It is UHMW and is bolted on with recessed allen bolts so can be replaced over time. As far as quality, they are well made and everything fit right up. This is the 392 kit so has the skid for the exhaust. Others vary in parts and want to say the UHMW is an option. I'm not a fan of aftermarket skids but these would be some that I would consider if I did. These are definitely nicer and much lighter than the Metalcloak ones we recently delt with on another 392.
Like you, I am NOT a fan of aftermarket skids especially for the weight they add, the HEAT they trap and from personal experience having to deal with those stupid countersunk allen head bolts that get all jacked up from rocks and impossible to remove to change out something simple like a drive shaft. That said, what you guys installed does look a lot cleaner and nicer than the other ones you installed.

Last edited:
Hmmm, is UHMW hard, or a little pliable?

We have used PTFE in a similar use in construction. But anything hard or sharp will gouge it up pretty quick.
It’s certainly a harder material but almost feels oily/slick. So I can assume they slide over rocks better than aluminum which is super soft and WOULD dig into sharp surfaces.
Like you, I am NOT a fan of aftermarket skids especially for the weight they add, the HEAT they trap and from personal experience having to deal with those stupid countersunk allen head bolts that get all jacked up from rocks and impossible to remove to change out something simple like a drive shaft. That said, what you guys installed does look a lot cleaner and nicer than the other ones you installed.
Oh 100% these are more of a pain than anything with all the points you made. Stock skids have never held me up yet and have always done their job. So, you want a spare factory gas tank skid? Haha

It’s certainly a harder material but almost feels oily/slick. So I can assume they slide over rocks better than aluminum which is super soft and WOULD dig into sharp surfaces.
Agreed. The material is hard and actually does pretty good sliding on the rocks. The idea of them is good especially with the idea that they can be replaced as needed but how they are fastened in place is the problem.
Oh 100% these are more of a pain than anything with all the points you made. Stock skids have never held me up yet and have always done their job. So, you want a spare factory gas tank skid? Haha
Did the skid system replace the factory tank?

It's not too bad so long as you start off with a near empty tank. You can even do it with just one floor jack but 2 will make it easier. And yes, I did do that with JET back in the day 😁
few years ago I bought a Harbor Freight scissor transmission jack; I've used that thing for just about everything on the Jeep except the transmission lol.

Makes removing and putting on the EVO pro skid easy

Hmmm, is UHMW hard, or a little pliable?

We have used PTFE in a similar use in construction. But anything hard or sharp will gouge it up pretty quick.
It’s a little pliable. It’s also used in body armor and is more resistant to dropping without cracking than ceramic armor plates.

Top Bottom