I need help! 6 speed or AUTO

i went with an auto cause i do a lot of boat trailering. i make life easier while driving down the road and while ramping the boat/jetski's. i dont trust my ebrake enought alone to hold my jeep on the ramp. i also have a personal experience of helping an 08 jk, its ebrake failed while the guy was unloading his boat on the ramp. we had to do a quick recovery so all the gas and oil didnt leak into the canal

I have an auto, at first I felt like it was a little wrong to drive an auto jeep . but I have a bad left knee and it couldn't handle pushing in a clutch over and over. But I'm happy with the auto , it makes trailing a lot easier. Just my preference though.

Manual is the only way to go imho. You are much more connected with your rig (or any vehicle) and with low gearing (4.10's and up) it drives almost as easy as an automatic on the rocks.

Manual is the only way to go imho. You are much more connected with your rig (or any vehicle) and with low gearing (4.10's and up) it drives almost as easy as an automatic on the rocks.

:cheesy: If you really believe that, come out to the west coast and go wheeling with me. Not saying that it can't be done, hell, I've done it for almost 20 years but to actually suggest a manual is almost as easy as an automatic on the rocks? Well, all I can say is that you're more badass than me :yup:

:cheesy: If you really believe that, come out to the west coast and go wheeling with me. Not saying that it can't be done, hell, I've done it for almost 20 years but to actually suggest a manual is almost as easy as an automatic on the rocks? Well, all I can say is that you're more badass than me :yup:
Lol... I said 'almost' and depending on gearing! How's your 2015 lookin'? :D

Lol... I said 'almost' and depending on gearing!

Ummmm, nah. Gearing will help but the same can be said about an auto. Put in better gearing and/or add an Atlas 4-speed and it'll walk all over a manual on the rocks. Of course, there is a point where you can be geared too low and an auto won't stall the way a manual WILL. Depending on where you're at on the obstacle, this can really suck, make your ascent more difficult or allow you to slide or fall into a position that you weren't planning on. Like I said, I'm not saying a manual isn't fun or that wheeling it hard can't be done but, when it come to big rocks, an auto has a manual any day of the week. There really is no two ways about it. This is the reason why ALL competition race rigs run autos and why we finally gave in and chose to do an auto for Moby with his LS swap. Do I miss having a manual? You bet, I love them but, for what I do, I understood that going auto was the better way to go.

How's your 2015 lookin'? :D

At the moment, wide open. The Rubicon is practically in my backyard now too. :cool:

I personally went with the 6 speed because don in SE Texas, most of our offroad is mud, and a manual is easier to rock back and forth to wiggle out of sticky mud. That and so my wife doesn't take it all the time. Cant speak to the benefits of auto.

I have no experience with this, but have seen many posts of people saying that they sucked mud into their transmissions when pushing down the clutch while in a mud pit. Seems like a big downside for manuals for mudders.

:cheesy: And really, there's no shame in that. Better to stall than to burn out a clutch. :yup:

OMGOSH all I can say is I hope your wife films this! :D :D :D It will be the EPIC match of all-time--> manual vs auto on the Rubicon :D :D Please say you guys are serious, I will sooooo be watchingl!!

Popcorn.jpg

I have no experience with this, but have seen many posts of people saying that they sucked mud into their transmissions when pushing down the clutch while in a mud pit. Seems like a big downside for manuals for mudders.

I have never had that happen. Not saying it cant, but ive personally never experienced it. I was just referring to the fact that its easier to rock back and forth to build up momentum in a manual. But good point nonetheless.

This is true I got 5.13 gears and when I leave it in first or second I rarely use the clutch.

the first step is admitting you have a problem. .... Hello everyone I'm hdawg and I'm a jeep-a-halic

I've had both and maybe I'm getting old but I just think wheelin with an auto is so much easier plus u won't burn through ur clutch and the ball and chain loves that she can just hop in a drive it no problem

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

It's really not even close.
I respect everyone elses opinion on this topic and recognize that I'm in the minority, but when I'm In 4Lo, using 1st gear I barely touch the clutch. I use the throttle/brakes to control ascent and descent just like I have in an auto. It's actually a rather odd sensation when you keep your foot off the clutch while going that slow. Sure, it's not the same as not having a clutch (sometimes I do get a little jealous of the auto's on certain parts of trail!) but compared to some of the very stiff clutches I've driven, my JK really does almost feel like an auto when it's in 4Lo. That's just my personal opinion on the way I drive my Jeep. :twocents:

If you are shopping, drive both the auto and the manual, and see which you prefer. Is the auto easier on trails? Absolutely. Is a manual more fun? That's for you to decide. In the end, it's your Jeep, so make sure you get the one that you'll enjoy driving the most.

Sports cars = manual. Everything else = auto. But I'm old and lazy. ;)

^^ This, except some of the new high end auto transmissions are arguably faster than standards. I have never personally liked standard trannys in 4x4's.

Top Bottom