I need help! 6 speed or AUTO

I respect everyone elses opinion on this topic and recognize that I'm in the minority, but when I'm In 4Lo, using 1st gear I barely touch the clutch. I use the throttle/brakes to control ascent and descent just like I have in an auto. It's actually a rather odd sensation when you keep your foot off the clutch while going that slow. Sure, it's not the same as not having a clutch (sometimes I do get a little jealous of the auto's on certain parts of trail!) but compared to some of the very stiff clutches I've driven, my JK really does almost feel like an auto when it's in 4Lo. That's just my personal opinion on the way I drive my Jeep. :twocents:

If you are shopping, drive both the auto and the manual, and see which you prefer. Is the auto easier on trails? Absolutely. Is a manual more fun? That's for you to decide. In the end, it's your Jeep, so make sure you get the one that you'll enjoy driving the most.

I understand what your saying but on big rocks, what we have out here, you simply cannot do that. Sure you can hand brake and if you have a rubicon with the lower tcase gearing it's easier but it's still a lot more work. I'll be there if you come out in 2015 to watch. :thumb:

I understand what your saying but on big rocks, what we have out here, you simply cannot do that. Sure you can hand brake and if you have a rubicon with the lower tcase gearing it's easier but it's still a lot more work. I'll be there if you come out in 2015 to watch. :thumb:
It's a deal! If this keeps going longer, I feel like there are gonna be Vegas odds on this trail and some gambling going on based on the # of times I stall out. :cheesy:

Last edited:
I've had both and maybe I'm getting old but I just think wheelin with an auto is so much easier plus u won't burn through ur clutch and the ball and chain loves that she can just hop in a drive it no problem

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Not always, my wife demanding a 6 speed

Not always, my wife demanding a 6 speed

My gf can drive a stick no problem she actually has one in her jeep just prefers my auto when wheeling but it's not like having a manual is hard its just that an auto is so easy to wheel with

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

6 speed vs Auto

This was a easy choice for me, having just purchased our first JkUR with a handshaker. I love this thing in town but with 4.88 gears you do a lot of shifting, with the winds and hills that surround us it saves my sanity from the Auto searching for the "correct" gear. I can't brag about fuel mileage I get a whopping 15.8 lol but in my opinion its funner to drive. With the 4:1 in the trans this thing is a princess on the trail it idles over most ledges.

Manuals are fun when you get bored on long drives(thanks Texas) cause you can drop down a gear to pass on the highway or pretend you're in a nascar when shifting through traffic...it's amazing what entertains me. I like being able to feather the clutch when needed like on dirtbikes. Plus it's easier to tow in the city with a standard in my opinion.

Alright, I'll play . I just pulled out my SM465 with a brand new Centerforce dual friction clutch and aluminum flexplate and installed an auto.I know the 465s are legendary , any one want it for a great price ?The clutch alone was over 400 bucks. I just don't like manuals for off road. It was great for burn outs though !

So I thought I was going to get a moderately configured 6 speed Rubicon. I walked out with a auto Rubicon fully loaded...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So I thought I was going to get a moderately configured 6 speed Rubicon. I walked out with a auto Rubicon fully loaded...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

:cheesy: Congratulations!! Of course, I would have said that regardless of what you got but, I don't think you'll regret a thing :cool:

I think you'll love it. I loved my auto Rubicon, and that's what I plan on getting for my next Jeep.

Auto-tranny still gives you the option to force-select gears (if this isn't already obvious) plus torque converter is a great multiplier for crawl ratios! I <3 my auto JKUR.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Rubicon. I agree, I doesn't matter what tranny you have, as long as your happy.

Dont forget to post a few pics of your new baby

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Love my Auto how else can I enjoy crawling with a sandwich also when on Rubicon I noticed the manuals struggle on the same obstacles and the autos were much smoother!!

SJ

Top Bottom