GraniteCrystal build thread

Jeeps looking good! Any update on drilling a hole in the sliders?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
No, I still need to call Evo and get their opinion on doing so. Also been waiting for it to warm up and stop snowing around here. Too cold to be in the garage and for sure too cold to be spray painting which I'll also do down in there to try and help prevent rust.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Called Evo this morning. Guy said that he has no concerns with me drilling a hole to drain the water and that Mel has been running them for years with no protection and never had issues. So the plan is to drill the hole, dry them out, shoot some paint inside, call it good.

Called Evo this morning. Guy said that he has no concerns with me drilling a hole to drain the water and that Mel has been running them for years with no protection and never had issues. So the plan is to drill the hole, dry them out, shoot some paint inside, call it good.

In all fairness, Mel live in socal, a land of sunshine and where roads aren't covered in mag-cloride ever year. There's a reason why old iron in socal are prized. That being said, I think drilling would be a good solution to drain the water you have in there and hitting the inside with rust preventative paint after things dry out would be a good idea.

In all fairness, Mel live in socal, a land of sunshine and where roads aren't covered in mag-cloride ever year. There's a reason why old iron in socal are prized. That being said, I think drilling would be a good solution to drain the water you have in there and hitting the inside with rust preventative paint after things dry out would be a good idea.
Yeah, good point on weather in Socal 👍

I'll post up some pics of final solution with hole and paint.

Almost just bought 4 Cooper STT Pros for $700. Craigslist ad claimed "a few thousand miles". Bull crap. They were 8-11/32 left on them (new is 21/32).

If anyone needs a spare though, there were two that had decent wear patterns on them and 11/32. I'd offer them something low for it. PM if you want details.

Almost just bought 4 Cooper STT Pros for $700. Craigslist ad claimed "a few thousand miles". Bull crap. They were 8-11/32 left on them (new is 21/32).

If anyone needs a spare though, there were two that had decent wear patterns on them and 11/32. I'd offer them something low for it. PM if you want details.

Typical.

What size?

I did notice towards the front of the Rubi rails and side steps there are holes in the front underneath for water to get out. You might have a good idea.

I did notice towards the front of the Rubi rails and side steps there are holes in the front underneath for water to get out. You might have a good idea.
Thanks. We'll find out.
Sucks about the tires. Good luck finding a decent set.
It's all good. I was pretty excited when I saw the ad, but glad I didn't make the purchase. Hard to walk away but I would've regretted it.

Time to modify the Evo sliders.

I bought these and had them welded on without trying to spray paint inside of them. I think that'd help and I still plan on doing that. This mod should really help though, as it drains the water out.

Here is what you get when you drive them thru slush:
IMG_20161220_085812.jpg

Here you can see more of the rust after just a few weeks:
IMG_20170112_153830.jpg

Today drilled 1/4" holes along the bottom of each end (4 holes total) to help things drain.

Here is hole placement:
IMG_20170112_154020.jpg

Don't drill too far or you go into the tubing running parallel to the ground!
IMG_20170112_155802.jpg

And final results:
IMG_20170112_155913.jpg

Mechanical failure is all about stress concentrators and the 1/4" circular hole doesn't add any of those. I have no concerns with this diminishing their performance in any way and should allow them to drain nicely now. Still would prefer Evo didn't put the logo there to begin with but oh well.

Still waiting for a warm day and then I'll run some water thru them, dry them out with some forced heated air, and then shoot some paint down in there as well.

That should work fine. Truthfully my sliders were so pretty at first but it didn't take long to start rusting. It will take a long time for rust to eat through steel that thick.

Great solve on the water drain. When it gets warmer, I Wonder if a floor jack or inclined driveway would help to drain all the water in one direction for a consistent flush. Thanks for the tip!

Great solve on the water drain. When it gets warmer, I Wonder if a floor jack or inclined driveway would help to drain all the water in one direction for a consistent flush. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, if you're driveway is on a slope and you don't park in the garage, you could place the holes more towards the rear for sure. I figure that it'll slosh around and works it's way out in the course of driving anyway so don't overthink it though.

Also, when introducing a hole, you want it well supported. Another reason I picked the center of the bottom edge rather than a corner.

Look who got a haircut!

IMG_20170119_171024.jpg

IMG_20170119_171033.jpg

IMG_20170119_171057.jpg

Wife and I were kind of sad because we like the look with the rack. Got to go before 37s though. PM me if you want to buy it!

Top Bottom