Flat Fenders

Eddie,

I want to cut my stock flares but in your write up you recommend removing it from the jeep to do so. Can it be done with it on the jeep? Can I just take a dremel or body saw or whatever and just cut right along going through the fender and the fender frame?

Yes, you most certainly can do this with them on your Jeep but, it'll be harder to get in close to the body and make the cuts that I prefer. If you change your lines a bit, it won't be a problem.

The extensions put them 1" over stock

Sent from a little JK!!

You are correct, I did some checking and saw that after posting that up. Still, I personally think they look like ass but, that is just my opinion. Fortunately, there are products made for everyones taste :yup:

Yes, you most certainly can do this with them on your Jeep but, it'll be harder to get in close to the body and make the cuts that I prefer. If you change your lines a bit, it won't be a problem.

I think I am going to keep the factory shape and just trip the side of them so that they have about half an inch of the fender left on the "outside" of the fender. I think it will still function like a flat fender but will give it a much different look than most cut fenders. What I am invisioning is it looking almost like the fenders on the evo hood/fender combo

I think I am going to keep the factory shape and just trip the side of them so that they have about half an inch of the fender left on the "outside" of the fender. I think it will still function like a flat fender but will give it a much different look than most cut fenders. What I am invisioning is it looking almost like the fenders on the evo hood/fender combo

Can't wait to see what you come up with. :thumb:

Just gotta cut the front bumper first since I think a Jeep looks silly with flat fenders and a full width front bumper. My buddy is going to help me fab up some sort of end cap because I feel it looks incomplete when you just cut the ends off.

No sagging wanted here!:eek:
I guess there's a reason Bushwackers are so famous!(manifold reasons)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379605686.939109.jpg

Love these damn things, Bushwacker flat flares. When I saw pics of them for the first time I thought they looked stupid like big dumbo ears. But they came out great. Kinda expensive but well worth it!

Well opinions are like assholes!! Everyones got them.
I like them and the also came with supports that keep them from bending a factory fender if you hit it on something. Very sturdy and durable!

Sent from a little JK!!

Just gotta cut the front bumper first since I think a Jeep looks silly with flat fenders and a full width front bumper. My buddy is going to help me fab up some sort of end cap because I feel it looks incomplete when you just cut the ends off.

LOL!! It does look a bit silly with full width bumpers. Also, I don't think they look too bad with just cut and not capped. I would do it regardless :yup:

Well opinions are like assholes!! Everyones got them. I like them and the also came with supports that keep them from bending a factory fender if you hit it on something. Very sturdy and durable!

Sent from a little JK!!

:cheesy: Like I said, it's a good thing there are products made for everyones taste including yours. :yup:
As far as sturdy and durable goes, with or without supports, all I can say is that I have yet to see a tube fender not do body damage when hit hard enough. If they really worked as well as people claim, I would be running them now. Fact of the matter is, the JK's are just made with super thin body panels. For me, I would prefer that my fenders flex, bend and tear away if need be than to do body damage and fortunately, you can get that without spending a dime. Of course, that's just me :yup:

LOL!! It does look a bit silly with full width bumpers. Also, I don't think they look too bad with just cut and not capped. I would do it regardless :yup:

:cheesy: Like I said, it's a good thing there are products made for everyones taste including yours. :yup:
As far as sturdy and durable goes, with or without supports, all I can say is that I have yet to see a tube fender not do body damage when hit hard enough. If they really worked as well as people claim, I would be running them now. Fact of the matter is, the JK's are just made with super thin body panels. For me, I would prefer that my fenders flex, bend and tear away if need be than to do body damage and fortunately, you can get that without spending a dime. Of course, that's just me :yup:

You are correct and thats why I like this sight is for the information. I had cut fenders at first and loved the look. I just wanted something different and I dont do as hardcore trails as you guys do. I like the MC fenders and would recomend them over the sightly genright fenders anyday I had genright ones before and thats the reason why I have a new fender on the passenger side.

Sent from a little JK!!

i will sell you my front bumper if you want. it can be a good tester bumper

While I think the PS fenders are about the best looking tube fenders available, I would never want to run a set let alone ones that stick out wider. I have personally seen where they survive big hits with little more than a scratch but cause significant damage to your body.

Agreed. Saw a set hit a tree and have a little scratch but bent/tweaked the body panel.

Part of the reason why Im scared to run the bushwackers is exactly that, they are bolted on and if hit, I don't want them hurting the body. I do like the look. My plan was to possibly buy the bushwacker flatties, but find some sort of plastic screws or clips that if yanked, will break like the OEM's do. Think that's possible?

Part of the reason why Im scared to run the bushwackers is exactly that, they are bolted on and if hit, I don't want them hurting the body. I do like the look. My plan was to possibly buy the bushwacker flatties, but find some sort of plastic screws or clips that if yanked, will break like the OEM's do. Think that's possible?

Anything is possible with enough creativity.

Anything is possible with enough creativity.

I actually think this is a good solution. Found a site that sells tons and tons of plastic nuts and bolts (out of different materials) and think they will definitely have what I need. The bushwackers are light enough where I think it won't cause an issue for daily driving, only an impact insurance policy. I don't think I'd use these with steel fenders.

http://www.fastenercomponents.com/products/metric-hex-machine-screws-p-134.html

Now just need to study up on which plastic is the way to go, Nylon, PVC, Polypropylene, Phenolic, PTFE, G10, Kel-F®, Delrin/Acetal, Neoprene, Mylar, Glass-Filled Nylon, Peek, CPVC, ABS, PVDF / Kynar, Isoplast, Polycarbonate, Polyethylene, or Ultem. :D

Agreed. Saw a set hit a tree and have a little scratch but bent/tweaked the body panel.

Wasn't even that hard of a hit, was it :crazyeyes:

The Bushwackers do quite well being that they have a sub-structure that gets bolted onto the body and then then fenders themselves just get screwed into them. When hit hard, they will tear away from the sub-structure - ask me how I know :blush: :D

The Bushwackers do quite well being that they have a sub-structure that gets bolted onto the body and then then fenders themselves just get screwed into them. When hit hard, they will tear away from the sub-structure - ask me how I know :blush: :D

HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!??!?! :bleh:

That would actually give me the look I'm curious about. Please share pics if you do it!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oh really? So if a Bushwacker gets caught like you did in the heartland video, you think it will just tear away cleanly without tweaking the fender? If that's the case then I don't need to worry.

Oh when he ran it over? lol :D

I was talking about the moment BEFORE he ran it over, when he smacked that tree that tore it off.

I don't think they will take the running over part unless they are made from the same plastic compound (one that retains shape memory.)

Top Bottom