Anyone self quarantined? AKA - the 2020 SH!T SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is the entire article...

September 3, 2020 at 4:04 p.m. PDT
Penn State clarified a comment by an official who stated earlier this week that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for the coronavirus and were scanned appeared to have myocarditis.

The comment by Wayne Sebastianelli, the school’s director of athletic medicine, came Monday as he spoke to a local school board about high school preparations and precautions. According to a Penn State Health spokesman, Sebastianelli was speaking about “initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study” and was not aware that it had been published, showing a rate of close to 15 percent among athletes, most of whom had experienced mild or no symptoms. Neither Sebastianelli nor Penn State conducted that study and he apologized for the confusion.

“When we looked at our covid-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles [are] inflamed,” Sebastianelli said Monday. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

It was unclear how many athletes had been tested or had tested positive and Penn State said that no cases of myocarditis had been found in its athletes who had tested positive for the virus.

Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle that can lead to arrhythmia, cardiac arrest and death, especially in a person who doesn’t know they have it and performs rigorous exercise. Cardiovascular experts are becoming increasingly aware that covid-19 can affect the heart and urge cardiac screening for athletes who are recovering from the virus. Two high-level athletes — Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez and Indiana offensive lineman Brady Feeney — made headlines when they experienced heart issues. Myocarditis causes about 75 deaths per year in athletes from 13 to 25, according to the Myocarditis Foundation.

Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athletes

“You could have a very high-level athlete who’s got a very superior VO2 max and cardiac output who gets infected with COVID and can drop his or her VO2 max and cardiac output just by 10 percent, and that could make them go from elite status to average status,” Sebastianelli said Monday. “We don’t know that. We don’t know how long that’s going to last. What we have seen is when people have been studied with cardiac MRI scans — symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID infections — is a level of inflammation in cardiac muscle that just is alarming."

There were no further details on the players or schools involved, but the conference’s 14 schools are in Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland. Despite the economic consequences that will ensue in each place with no fall football seasons, presidents and chancellors from each school — and not Commissioner Kevin Warren — voted 11-3 not to play.

In an open letter last month, Warren wrote that the decision was “based on sound feedback, guidance and advice from medical experts” and mentioned myocarditis as a topic in meetings of presidents, chancellors, athletic directors and health advisory board members. Warren wrote that there is “simply too much we do not know about this virus.”

The Big Ten announced its decision to postpone the fall sports season on Aug. 11.

“When we looked at our covid-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles [are] inflamed,” Sebastianelli said Monday. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

I have emphasized what bothers me the most about his statement. Presuming the reporting I have read is correct, he wasn't even part of conducting the study and none of his athletes (Penn State athletes) had any signs of myocarditis. Basically, a doctor was passing something on as fact that was completely misleading...if not provably false.

Last edited:
I have emphasized what bothers me the most about his statement. Presuming the reporting I have read is correct, he wasn't even part of conducting the study and none of his athletes (Penn State) athletes had any signs of myocarditis. Basically, a doctor was passing something on as fact that was completely misleading...if not provably false.

I understand your point...but it was significant enough to make a statement by a doctor after conferring with his colleagues, regardless of whether he did the study or not. Someone is studying it...someone will eventually publish the findings.

My point is many think this is no more than an inconvenience without consequence...I seriously doubt that. I just spoke with someone a few nights ago that had tested positive for Covid...and still, several months afterward, has problems with taste...doesn’t sound like a big deal...unless your a chef, or cook for a living...or like to eat.

We will find out eventually the long term effects of having this...

I understand your point...but it was significant enough to make a statement by a doctor after conferring with his colleagues, regardless of whether he did the study or not. Someone is studying it...someone will eventually publish the findings.

My point is many think this is no more than an inconvenience without consequence...I seriously doubt that. I just spoke with someone a few nights ago that had tested positive for Covid...and still, several months afterward, has problems with taste...doesn’t sound like a big deal...unless your a chef, or cook for a living...or like to eat.

We will find out eventually the long term effects of having this...

I don’t think any of this is without consequence...either in the short run or in the long run. I just question the merits of the decisions that have been made (and are still being made), and whether public policy should be driven by the needs of the few, or by the needs of the many.

Perhaps more than anything though, I am deeply saddened and troubled by America’s propensity to succumb to fear, vitriol, and false narratives (from all political sides). We have become soft and lazy (physically AND intellectually), and it will eventually lead to our downfall.

“The only thing to fear is fear itself.”

-FDR

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Wow. Mr. Shark. These last few post's on this subject are absolute home runs, in my opinion. Bravo!
And to think, if, as suggested, I would have opted for a " magazine subscription", I would have missed this wonderful content...

I don’t think any of this is without consequence...either in the short run or in the long run. I just question the merits of the decisions that have been made (and are still being made), and whether public policy should be driven by the needs of the few, or by the needs of the many.

Perhaps more than anything though, I am deeply saddened and troubled by America’s propensity to succumb to fear, vitriol, and false narratives (from all political sides). We have become soft and lazy (physically AND intellectually), and it will eventually lead to our downfall.

“The only thing to fear is fear itself.”

-FDR

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

This is exactly fact and will be the downfall very shortly of this country.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom