Advice

grimlin

Hey I’m looking at a 2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited sport it has 110,391 miles 6 speed manual transmission it has the 3.6 motor they are asking 19,995. This a good buy or a crappy buy

that is not accurate. It’s the same motor from 2012-2018.5 when they stopped making the JK. It’s 285hp in all JK’s and even the 3.6L JL has 285hp.
My mistake. It was 2016 they upgraded the 3.6, with horsepower rated between 285 and 305, dependent on which vehicle model it was installed in. In the Wrangler, the newer 3.6 is derated to 285.

Upvote 0
My mistake. It was 2016 they upgraded the 3.6, with horsepower rated between 285 and 305, dependent on which vehicle model it was installed in. In the Wrangler, the newer 3.6 is derated to 285.
Again, not correct. The 3.6 in the JK and JL has had the same 285hp since the start. No upgrades in horsepower or torque have been made.

Upvote 0
Again, not correct. The 3.6 in the JK and JL has had the same 285hp since the start. No upgrades in horsepower or torque have been made.
In 2016, the 3.6 was given a two stage Variable Valve Lift system and the VVT recalibrated. Compression was changed from 10.2:1 to 11.3:1. The new version could deliver up to 305 hp. When installed in the Wrangler, the 3.6 was derated to 285 hp.

Upvote 0
In 2016, the 3.6 was given a two stage Variable Valve Lift system and the VVT recalibrated. Compression was changed from 10.2:1 to 11.3:1. The new version could deliver up to 305 hp. When installed in the Wrangler, the 3.6 was derated to 285 hp.
It has the same horsepower. I would love to see these claims you state consider I have had two 2012’s and a 2017 and they are exactly the same. I also swapped a 2016 engine into my 2012 and it was the same.

Upvote 0
It has the same horsepower. I would love to see these claims you state consider I have had two 2012’s and a 2017 and they are exactly the same. I also swapped a 2016 engine into my 2012 and it was the same.
He eventually said that the power (when installed in the Wrangler) is the same. So they did something tangible (or intangible) to be able to say 285 HP again. This might have been to avoid regulatory requirements.

Upvote 0
After all that grimlin the best thing to do is go out and look at a few and drive them you’ll find the right one. The owner of the dealership I worked in back in the olden days used to say there’s an ass for every seat. You just need to find your seat. Only you know your budget and color choice is always subjective. Some people hate certain colors and some people love certain colors.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
So they did something tangible (or intangible) to be able to say 285 HP again.

WTF

What 'intangible' thing can be done to an engine to take away 20 HP?
Lol, do you ever think about what you're saying or does shit just kinda blurt out and make it to the keyboard?

Upvote 0
WTF

Lol, do you ever think about what you're saying or does shit just kinda blurt out and make it to the keyboard?
Small ECU firmware changes (e.g. change one number) can accomplish the minor reduction of power. Such changes would be 'intangible' to me.

Thank you for your understanding.

Upvote 0
WTF

Tangible means things you can observe or measure such as engine bore, stroke, valve size, etc. Intangible would be things like firmware or default settings in the ECU, or elsewhere. Different vehicles get different firmware in order to optimize for vehicle specific things such as gearing, weight, and differences in intake and exhaust flow.

It can be expensive to change parameters for a vehicle already in production due to a need to update documentation, redo tests, etc.

The manufacturer will always place a priority on model and fleet fuel economy since the feds regulate this and will apply penalties. By tweaking 'intangible' parameters, Jeep may be able to sell more units of a particular build configuration.

Surely this is obvious to everyone?

Upvote 0
Tangible means things you can observe or measure such as engine bore, stroke, valve size, etc. Intangible would be things like firmware or default settings in the ECU, or elsewhere. Different vehicles get different firmware in order to optimize for vehicle specific things such as gearing, weight, and differences in intake and exhaust flow.

It can be expensive to change parameters for a vehicle already in production due to a need to update documentation, redo tests, etc.

The manufacturer will always place a priority on model and fleet fuel economy since the feds regulate this and will apply penalties. By tweaking 'intangible' parameters, Jeep may be able to sell more units of a particular build configuration.

Surely this is obvious to everyone?

You are retarded

Upvote 0
Just admit you are wrong. You realize the guy is talking about a wrangler correct?
Caught in my own hubris. While researching how to fix the 3.6 in my JK and what parts were needed, I was asked over and over what year I had because "it makes a difference as the engine was updated in 2016." My impression was the newer engine was derated and used in the 2016 and newer JKs. Instead, the JK got the YJ treatment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Top Bottom