40's -vs- 42's..... Ready.. Discuss!

I really don’t give a shit to be honest! I was just pointing out you’re absolutely crazy for notching your frame that’s all!! Again good luck and I hope your dad’s plumbing tools can get the job done correctly! If he doesn’t have the right tools I’m sure harbor freight can help out!
Ok I was wrong about the plumber quote. It was Television repair man! Just looked it up. One of the greatest movies ever.

Ultimate set of tools

If you don't give a shit, then why even post? This isn't a difficult job by any means, 3 hours at the most for more tire clearance? Yep you're right... Super crazy. This might not be in everyone's wheelhouse, but why talk shit to those who are comfortable with this type of work?

I'm off to bed, goodnight.

Ok I was wrong about the plumber quote. It was Television repair man! Just looked it up. One of the greatest movies ever.

Ultimate set of tools

If you don't give a shit, then why even post? This isn't a difficult job by any means, 3 hours at the most for more tire clearance? Yep you're right... Super crazy. This might not be in everyone's wheelhouse, but why talk shit to those who are comfortable with this type of work?

I'm off to bed, goodnight.
It’s not hard I have a full shop in my garage and can definitely do it. Just because you or I can do it doesn’t mean it’s the smart thing to do lol.

It’s not hard I have a full shop in my garage and can definitely do it. Just because you or I can do it doesn’t mean it’s the smart thing to do lol.
I can respect that reply, but why isn't it a good idea? The frame in this area is extremely strong. Cutting a piece out shouldn't(And I say that with a grain of salt) hurt anything. I would say the biggest concern would be putting too much heat in to the metal when you weld the filler plate in. But I also think it can be done with some planning.

Your thoughts?

I can respect that reply, but why isn't it a good idea? The frame in this area is extremely strong. Cutting a piece out shouldn't(And I say that with a grain of salt) hurt anything. I would say the biggest concern would be putting too much heat in to the metal when you weld the filler plate in. But I also think it can be done with some planning.

Your thoughts?
If it was the only option I’d do it in a heartbeat but you have other options without cutting into the frame of your jeep. Once you cut it, it can NEVER go back! I’ve ran spacers on so many things, can they be dangerous of course but if installed correctly they have no issues. I’d buy a set of rims with the right backspacing if it were me and your dead set on running them. I honestly think running 42’s is crazier than notching the frame. Your gonna find out the first time you wheel the thing that there’s gonna be WAY more cutting involved then you think! Once you cut shit it can’t be put back easily or at all.

Last edited:
It’s not hard I have a full shop in my garage and can definitely do it. Just because you or I can do it doesn’t mean it
If it was the only option I’d do it in a heartbeat but you have other options without cutting into the frame of your jeep. Once you cut it, it can NEVER go back!

See I like this discussion. The beginning of a technical talk versus "You're retarded" or "you're stupid" or "you're wife drives a 4xe" that banter has no place in my world.

I do get what you are saying, And there is a little gamble to it. But I also see spacers as a gamble, and a dangerous one at that. Wheels won't get me much plus it will be another $1500 for only .16"s. I could run wider axles but I'm already all in on these UD60's, the economy hasn't been kind as of late and $ is tight.

But honestly I don't think notching the frame is even necessary, but it would make thing a little better. Anyway I'm off to bed. Good night.

See I like this discussion. The beginning of a technical talk versus "You're retarded" or "you're stupid" or "you're wife drives a 4xe" that banter has no place in my world.

I do get what you are saying, And there is a little gamble to it. But I also see spacers as a gamble, and a dangerous one at that. Wheels won't get me much plus it will be another $1500 for only .16"s. I could run wider axles but I'm already all in on these UD60's, the economy hasn't been kind as of late and $ is tight.

But honestly I don't think notching the frame is even necessary, but it would make thing a little better. Anyway I'm off to bed. Good night.
Moneys tight for most people but in my opinion notching the frame is easy yes but you could be opening up a whole bunch more issues at the same time. Your gonna need to cut more then just your frame. Stuff those rears and see what it looks like. I no how much I had to CUT off to stuff my 40’s under my JK I couldn’t dream of what I’d have to do to make 42’s work and keep any kind of uptravel at all. I know you said you had plenty of power to turn those 42’s with the 3.6 but you know as well I do that you don’t lol. Especially at freeway speeds or in the mountains. I hated the 3.6 with 40’s. That’s why my jeep now has a 6.4 hemi and 8 speed.

Your thoughts?
It’s extremely strong so you are going to cut it in half. Makes perfect sense to me.

Well that explains it. He's a little boi in a Man's world. He started this I didn't, he should keep his little boi mouth shut and learn something like we all did.
Presley is young and sometimes doesn’t know what he doesn’t know, but he’s learning. He’s a great guy to wheel with. Good, upbeat attitude. His Jeep is still close to stock and that’s to his credit. His skills & experience and his Jeep are growing together which is making him a better wheeler. Presley isn’t afraid to tackle challenging obstacles and isn’t too proud to back down when he’s in over his head. He’s earned his spot on the trail and I’d wheel with him again anytime.

I’m not against notching the frame. I’ve seen it on rigs driven by folks that have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do. I’m curious to see how it goes for you and I have questions. How much turn radius will you gain as opposed to adjusting the stops or adding spacers?

Notching the frame weakens it and creates a stress riser in that section. Does the kit make up for the lost material? I don’t know where you live, but if it’s close enough, I’d help you with this project, just to see what happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom