40's -vs- 42's..... Ready.. Discuss!

Not to bring up an old thread, but I lost my mind and decided to try some 42's. My old 40" Milestars have 42k on them and are pretty worn out.

I found these 42" Baja Boss' on Vision Beadlocks for a good deal. I just put them on today and have put about 60 miles on them. My thoughts so far. They ride great, aren't horribly loud (Yet anyway buy they're still new) My 2015 JK with the stock 3.6 doesn't have any trouble pushing them around. But it does feel a little lazier both in acceleration and braking. Feels like I lost about 20 horsepower or so. For street driving it barely hits the back of the front wheel wells when turning all the way to lock. I will definitely need to attack it with the sawzall before I hit the trails. I havent flexed it yet but I will need to trim the front of the front wheel well also. The rears are good, I cut them the same radius as the Poison Spyder flare plate a while ago, and they look like they'll be good.

It's a work in progress, I'll post more as I begin cutting and tuning. It's going to be a challenge, but not as bad as I anticipated. Here are some pics.

View attachment 411595View attachment 411596View attachment 411597
View attachment 411593View attachment 411594
Keep us updated. It’s crazy the difference between 40s and 42s

I've got 1000 miles on these so far and they drive really good. I've got a Fordyce trip in a couple weeks so I began the cutting!

Before:

cutun3.jpgcutun2.jpgcutun1.jpg

After(for now anyway, lol)

cut1.jpg
cut2.jpg

I'll be notching the frame next. I wish I didn't have the "Cant leave anything alone" disease.

WTF? Why notch the frame when you can just adjust the steer stops or run wheel spacers or new wheels with less back spacing?

Like I said.. I'm sick, I have the disease.. I just bought these tires with the wheels and they're a 3.66 backspace, so .16" is about the best I could do with backspace, and I just paid for these f-ing things so I'd like to keep them lol. I don't want to limit my steering with stops. And even though I've ran spacers in the past, and didn't have issues, they still worry me a bit. I actually have some for an 8 lug in my garage so I may still do that, but would rather not. And my dads a plumber, he's gat a killer set of hand tools, so I think I can notch it! 🙃

If it doesn't work out I'll send it off a cliff and join a monastery. Hahaha

Like I said.. I'm sick, I have the disease.. I just bought these tires with the wheels and they're a 3.66 backspace, so .16" is about the best I could do with backspace, and I just paid for these f-ing things so I'd like to keep them lol. I don't want to limit my steering with stops. And even though I've ran spacers in the past, and didn't have issues, they still worry me a bit. I actually have some for an 8 lug in my garage so I may still do that, but would rather not. And my dads a plumber, he's gat a killer set of hand tools, so I think I can notch it! 🙃

That should be a no brainer to put the spacers on instead of notching the frame!

Notching the frame is crazy. Just get a set of spacers and be done. Don’t ruin the jeep! I’ve ran 40’s for over 10 years on my JK and can’t see any reason at all to ever run 42’s. I live on the west coast with the most hardcore wheeling there is and there’s no reason to run anything bigger. I actually considered going back to 38’s just to make things more challenging. Having 40’s is almost cheating!! To me takes the skill of wheeling out of play.

Retardation is a disability not a disease.

Notching the frame is crazy. Just get a set of spacers and be done. Don’t ruin the jeep! I’ve ran 40’s for over 10 years on my JK and can’t see any reason at all to ever run 42’s. I live on the west coast with the most hardcore wheeling there is and there’s no reason to run anything bigger. I actually considered going back to 38’s just to make things more challenging. Having 40’s is almost cheating!! To me takes the skill of wheeling out of play.
If you are looking for a challenge why stop at 38's? LOL.

A picture to piss off the haters... My WFO frame notch kit just came today. It's strange a reputable company makes such a thing when you can just add wheels spacers, Hahahaha.

I'm here to encourage those who push farther and not take the easy way out. Trying new things only furthers and expands any motor sport. I'm relatively new to this offroad game(8 years or so), but not the go-fast game. I've been around the block a few times. There is a lot of negativity from the moderators on this site. Not what I was expecting after watching Eddies Youtube videos. But hey, It's show biz I guess.

So here you go Keyboard experts, more ammo to shoot your negative comments at. It's nothing I haven't heard before or even on a daily basis at my work. And to the guy who called me a retard, well...... Need I say more. See you on the trail sometime licking my windows.

Attachments

• 42-6.jpg
    42-6.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 42-7.jpg
    42-7.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 31
Haters? :ROFLMAO:

People were actually trying to steer you in the right direction. You seem like the kind of guy that will take a 4 hour detour to go to the grocery store a mile down the road. Whatever, your jeep.
Yep.. I'm that guy! Thanks for the response. Case in point.:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom