WINDROCK End of Summer Pre-Run #2 - January 29-31

These are some trail notes from a group I run with quite a bit. One of the members records trails as we run them and what we thought about them.

WINDROCK TRAIL NOTES

Completed
Trail # Name Difficulty Notes & Entrance Recommendations

3 Trail (6) Difficult (enter from G3) Lots of rocks and creek beds. Path to the right has a tricky end. We took the right path, which was easier. (the first half has been turned into gravel road now).
5 Trail (1) Easy I don’t recall anything tricky on this.
7 Trail (5) Difficult Really fun trail. Lots of steep grade changes (enter from the North East trailhead to predominantly go uphill)
9 Trail (4) Easy Easy trail. Its uphill entering from 12. It might be hard when wet.
11 Trail Difficult We entered from Trail 12. First hill climb had a tough ledge we couldn't get over. Not everyone had winches so we turned back. Not sure about the rest of the trail.
12 Trail (5) Difficult We entered from Trail 13. Very Technical trail. Also very tight. Lots of creek stuff.
13 Trail (2) Easy Pretty easy. Takes a while to locate. Only real use would be for access to Trail 12.
15 Trail (7)Most Difficult (enter from P1) Difficult trail with several line options to increase the difficulty level
16 Trail (2) Easy This trail is LONG and boring. The only fun spot is a exit hill climb. However you can access the climb without going on the trail via the bypass to/from G1
17 Trail (4) Moderate (uphill enter from 16 via G10) We went down hill (entering from 2). This would be a fun trail to go up hill. (Bypass most of 16 by using G10)
18 Trail (6) Difficult (We enetered from 16, this was heading down hill) There were 2 tough spots. We exited onto 28, so only saw this half of the trail.
21 Trail (7) Most Difficult (enter from 22) Longer difficult trail with several big obstacle. Extremely difficult optional hill climb at the end.
22 Trail (3) Easy A few optional places to play. It is a LONG trail.
23 Atomic Ridge Trail (8) Most Difficult (The top f the mountain contains Crazy Tough climbs. My rating is based off bypassing these) Enter from Northern Trailhead to go predominatly uphill. One real steep off-camber climb.
26 Trail (3) Moderate Lots of rocks. Its one long dry creek bed. No real obstacles.
28 Trail (3) Difficult Nice easy trail through the woods
29 Trail (2) Moderate simple trail
30 Trail (2) Moderate simple trail
31 Trail (4) Difficult (enter from 30 to go up hill) Steep hill climb. Easy enough for anyone with a locker.
35 Trail (5) Moderate Very scenic trail that has a few tricky spots.
36 Trail (3) Easy Lots of mud/water spots. There are some fun moderate hill climbs half way through.
41a Trail (4) Moderate Slick woody area with some hill climbs
41b Trail (5) Difficult Slick woody area with some hill climbs, when wet this has a very difficult hill climb.
42 Litte Fodderstack (4) Moderate (enter from 43) This trail is mainly easy. On little hill climb is tough because it is wet. An underground water source had this trail wet on a very dry day.
43 Big Fodderstack Trail (7) Difficult (enter from 44) Very Steep hill climb. One spot is likely to require winching.
44 Betty's Trail (7) Difficult (enter from 26) Steep elevation changes and slick hill climbs. When slightly wet this trail will have one nasty switchback ledge.
54 Trail (4) Moderate not much but connects 5a, 5b, 5c (very fun series)
54a Devil's Elbow (7) Difficult Very tight and technical pass, It was wet and will always likely be wet Enter from G55 to go uphill)
54b Cross Mtn Powerline Trl (6) Difficult A few tricky spots. One ledge that is very difficult.
72 Beech Grove Trail (4) moderate One really hard hill climb, but it has a bypass.

Oh yeah.. Im a strong maybe on the advanced group for this one. Last weekend in a month is rough for me but strong maybe is all I can give for now.

As long as the weather cooperates, I've got a fairly decent plan of trails to hit for the Advanced group. Should get a pretty decent mix of things for everyone.

Excellent notes! 23 is a blast and isn't that bad if you have 37s. 35s would be a chore. I think I'll have my 38 stickies by this time although in mud and cold don't help too much

If anyone would like to go in and get a cabin at the park, let me know. Got a couple options we could look at.

Trevor, I'm definitely in for this. I'm trying to get the Friday off. I'm also in for a cabin. The small ones have 4 single bunks but no linen or towels provided. I think they're $100/night.

Trevor, I'm definitely in for this. I'm trying to get the Friday off. I'm also in for a cabin. The small ones have 4 single bunks but no linen or towels provided. I think they're $100/night.

I'll get you on the list. They have two different options available that weekend. So once I figure out who all is in, I'll coordinate from there.

You can put me down for the advanced group. Most likely be in the POS YJ. Welded front and rear on some bald 36s (assuming that done change by then lol), rock sliders = the body lol. Maybe be in the toyota but I doubt it.

You can put me down for the advanced group. Most likely be in the POS YJ. Welded front and rear on some bald 36s (assuming that done change by then lol), rock sliders = the body lol. Maybe be in the toyota but I doubt it.

Ahhhhh hahahahaha I love it!!!! Bring the YJ!!! It makes things fun!!! Lol

Ahhhhh hahahahaha I love it!!!! Bring the YJ!!! It makes things fun!!! Lol

I would say most likely it will be there. I dont see myself finishing the JK in a month and the yota is waiting on parts all though if I had the parts it could definitely be there. We have been talking about switching the YJ to propane so if we do it should be running much better this go around.

Get the Yota going!!!

Top Bottom