When to replace my tires?

If I get anywhere close to recommended PSI on mine my ride starts to get a bit flighty

I tried 65 but it rattled my fillings loose. So I started taking 5 psi out at a time. Now I'm not saying it's a smooth ride but, it's a Jeep not a Cadillac.

Sent by Pony Express

I tried 65 but it rattled my fillings loose. So I started taking 5 psi out at a time. Now I'm not saying it's a smooth ride but, it's a Jeep not a Cadillac.

Sent by Pony Express

I'm really surprised nobody has said it yet, or maybe I missed it but some people do the "chalk test" across the tread.

What is that?

Sent by Pony Express

Make a chalk line across the tread, drive the vehicle a block or so and see how the chalk rubs off. Too much air will cause the chalk to wear from the center, too little air and it will rub from the edges of the tire. Theoretically, you want uniform wearing across the tread.

Make a chalk line across the tread, drive the vehicle a block or so and see how the chalk rubs off. Too much air will cause the chalk to wear from the center, too little air and it will rub from the edges of the tire. Theoretically, you want uniform wearing across the tread.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Sent by Pony Express

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Sent by Pony Express

And also, the reason for using chalk and actually driving the vehicle rather than a straight edge while parked is because tires actually "stand up" when you drive, similar to a dragster's tires just not as noticeable.

And also, the reason for using chalk and actually driving the vehicle rather than a straight edge while parked is because tires actually "stand up" when you drive, similar to a dragster's tires just not as noticeable.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad this forum is here.

Sent by Pony Express

Wow 18mpg shit I may go for 80 psi than lol

first off brankz make sure your tire can handle that much pressure, and 2ndly that might be the peak fuel economy with the tires, you also have to factor in tread design and driving style

My tire pressure

I was running 30 psi on my 33s and I was getting 17.4 MPG. I since increased the tire pressure to 98 psi and I am now getting 38.2 MPG. I am getting almost as good of gas mileage as a new Chevy Volt diesel.

I have 38,000 on these tires. Just make sure you are running the manufacture's recommended PSI not 32 or 35. You will get a butt load of life out of them. View attachment 74638

Sent by Pony Express

I am in between. My max PSI on my KM2 are 65. When I had them at 30 they felt too spongy on the road. 45 PSI feels real good on these tires. I don't have to keep correcting my steering like I did at 30 PSI when driving on the road.

I know this is Jeep forum but I came from a truck background. My 6k pound truck would chew threw tires at 30 or less psi. I got 20k on my Wildpeaks before having to replace them because I was running them at 35 psi. Then I replace them with some Toyo OC E Load tires and put 55 PSI in them. After 30k miles tires till look great.

Yes I know I have a Jeep now and I'm going to continue running it at 45. I really believe low tire pressure wear these offroad tires tremendously. They're not P rated tires.

80 psi on 33s? Your crazy bro!!! That's way way wayyyyy to much air for a tire. Just because it says 70 or 80 dose t mean you have to use that psi

Those numbers are for load rating specs and liability. Speed limit on the highway 75 MPH, but you know you can drive less.

Top Bottom