What would you do?

Prime

Hey everyone I have been thinking about this for quite some time I already have a jku sport that my ole lady will get when it’s paid off in a few months. Here’s my issue I WANT a rubi always have but I plan on modding it like I want which most of you guys riggings are my templates to what I would like to have. So I was having a conversation today with a fellow Jeeper and the topic came up I told him of course I wanted a Rubi, he responded why? I told him why then he says why spend an extra 20k on a jeep that you could build the same thing with better stuff.

So I'm asking your option would you buy a Rubi or buy an X and start the building that way.

Also what would be the pros and cons of each? "That you see".

One other thing I did think that if I did buy a Rubi I could put the d44's on my X so she would have something better than a d30...

Hey everyone I have been thinking about this for quite some time I already have a jku sport that my ole lady will get when it’s paid off in a few months. Here’s my issue I WANT a rubi always have but I plan on modding it like I want which most of you guys riggings are my templates to what I would like to have. So I was having a conversation today with a fellow Jeeper and the topic came up I told him of course I wanted a Rubi, he responded why? I told him why then he says why spend an extra 20k on a jeep that you could build the same thing with better stuff.

So I'm asking your option would you buy a Rubi or buy an X and start the building that way.

Also what would be the pros and cons of each? "That you see".

One other thing I did think that if I did buy a Rubi I could put the d44's on my X so she would have something better than a d30...

do you have the 20k(extra) around to build your own modded jeep? I would say get a sport. If you dont, and you were going to mod it slowly... I would say lean towards the Rubi

If you are going to have the CASH ($25K) on top of buying the new JK, I would say buy a sport. But if you are going to have to build it a little at a time, I would say buy a RUBI!

Are they really 25 grand more ? I don't know , I just bought a Rubi without even looking at other Jeeps . That was in 2007 when I bought my 2008 .I would buy a Rubi. if I were you because if you don't , what ever you build will not have a warrantee.That's alot of money to spend with no warrantee on a new vehicle . Plus you will have what you want now instead of building one over time .Would you really install an electronic sway bar disco. ? probably not .If you pay someone to put together a rubi out of a non Rubi. , I don't know if it would be cheaper. Let us know what you decide .

If you are going to have the CASH ($25K) on top of buying the new JK, I would say buy a sport. But if you are going to have to build it a little at a time, I would say buy a RUBI!

^^ What he said. Also I like your idea of putting Rubi Axles on your X. It would also put your other Rubi take offs on your X.

Are they really 25 grand more ? I don't know , I just bought a Rubi without even looking at other Jeeps . That was in 2007 when I bought my 2008 .I would buy a Rubi. if I were you because if you don't , what ever you build will not have a warrantee.That's alot of money to spend with no warrantee on a new vehicle . Plus you will have what you want now instead of building one over time .Would you really install an electronic sway bar disco. ? probably not .If you pay someone to put together a rubi out of a non Rubi. , I don't know if it would be cheaper. Let us know what you decide .

no they are not. but I am talking about BUILDING and NOT the cost difference. lockers , t-case & front 44 are worth the extra purchase price. but if you have the $ to throw a PR44, ARB lockers and an atlas t-case in, THAT is what i would do.

if you are worried about your warranty, STOP modding and just drive it on the streets.

andrew-

Im pretty sure he wasn't planning to build a Rubicon from a non rubi. I think he meant why buy a rubicon if you just plan on upgrading the axles and such off the bat.
The things that make a Rubi different is all the stuff he was going to replace and build up.

The only positives i see are the interior package and the e-disco. If you can live without those two, I will stick by my first responce

I would consider the type of wheeling you are going to do also. If you are going big, then tons are probably in your future. If thats the case, I wouldnt buy the rubi. But if your not looking to bigger than 37's or so, with mild to moderate wheeling, then the rubi will be perfect.

Do you really need electric disco's? If the jk rubi is like the tj rubi, the axles are only marginally stronger than a d30. The 4.1 in the tcase and the lockers are about the only advantage I see. I wheel the piss outta my d30 in my xj with 35's and its every bit of all the axle I need.

It's not an extra 25k for the rubi package, but it would probably add up close to it if you was too take a regular wrangler and build it up. Slowly or not, it will add up fast, especially if you have to factor in labor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I wish I could add something substantive to the conversation since I just bought a Rubicon, but it is mostly more of what has already been said. You have to do what makes sense for you. I knew I didn't have the time, skills, or liquidity for all of the mods. For me, the Rubicon just made more sense. You have to do what makes the most sense for you. If you have the money, the time, the skills, and the patience...get the cheapest JK you can find and enjoy the modification journey. There is no right or wrong decision here. Just pick your JK, commit to the decision, and never second guess yourself. Either way, keep us posted with your decision and pics. Good luck.

Well a Rubi here in Texas is about 45k a X is around 28-30kish. I'm the type of person that thinks more is better so I want to build a jeep that I can trust to get me where i need when I need to. the only problem with that is my inexperience of offroading..

Here in Texas there really isnt that many places to wheel thats close to me. I would like to be able to come west and whell in Califorina and Colorado.. I was planning on a slow build anyway. I research everything and as you can see I ask questions a lot. I rather listen to someone with more experience then spouting off something I know nothing about. I was thinking a EVO build pretty much like everyone else I think it would be only a handfull here in Texas. I have a Industrial Mechanics degree so I'm kinda handy I put my Terflex lift on the jeep I have now. not saying no one can do it I was just a jeep Virgin when I did mine.

Look at it this way, if you bought the Sport what would you change, if you bought the Rubi what would you change? What's the price difference and timeline between the two options? Pick the one you can stomach :yup:. Since you have another wrangler take some consideration into moving parts around, will the wife be "OK" with take-offs or is she also infected with the mod bug.

Well , I would not build an x or a Rubi or any modern Jeep for that matter .I would pick something unique to build . Something different that hardly any one else has .I have built one unique vehicle once and am in the middle of one now.It's got room inside , one tons , lockers , 4 link , coilovers and 550 h/p . Even with all that it costs way less than my Rubi costs . Not to mention all the work I have in my Rubi.

Look at it this way, if you bought the Sport what would you change, if you bought the Rubi what would you change? What's the price difference and timeline between the two options? Pick the one you can stomach :yup:. Since you have another wrangler take some consideration into moving parts around, will the wife be "OK" with take-offs or is she also infected with the mod bug.

Oh no First she wanted to paint the jeep Plum crazy Purple, then deicided to Accent the jeep instead of painting it. She wants EVO front bumper in purple. :crazyeyes: I think I created a monster she has a list thank god its shorter than mine.

Well , I would not build an x or a Rubi or any modern Jeep for that matter .I would pick something unique to build . Something different that hardly any one else has .I have built one unique vehicle once and am in the middle of one now.It's got room inside , one tons , lockers , 4 link , coilovers and 550 h/p . Even with all that it costs way less than my Rubi costs . Not to mention all the work I have in my Rubi.

But you did buy a new jeep. Hence why you have a JK. Not everyone wants a trailer queen or paper weight like your willy's.

My advice, figure out what ou want to do in the end and where you want to wheel. If you want to run around in mud on 37's get the rubi. If you want to go fast and play on the rocks in Johnson valley on 37's or bigger get an X and build it up.

I'd tell you to get the Rubi, enjoy it and go for a relatively slow build. As you grow as a Jeeper your interests and goals will change and of course like us all you will be restricted by that greenish paper in your wallet. Get a Rubicon and use for what its built for and as you want to push it more mod it respectively. I honestly think building slowly is better rather than buying an X then dropping 10-15k on mods all at once. Going mod by mod makes allows a more personal connection to the build and keeps things feeling new. But that's just me

If I could do it again I would of bought the rubi only because I would of had lockers, Dana 44 and 37s by now. But now that I have a sport it just made my build way slower and have nothing that I really want on it.

Ray ⛺

2 cents...I looked at the rubis,I don't need leather or navi, so I decided to get plain Jane make my own build , Moab,the rubicon in mind went from there I have to agree you need to have an idea of what you want it for before you start and army vet is right put aside an extra 20 or 30k you'll need it

Participate in life

Top Bottom