Wear on inside Tread only?

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I recently noticed I have wear only on the Inside tread of the first Lug of my Trail Grapplers... Both sides.

1. Toe is at 1/16+ toed in which should be good.
2. The axle tube seems to have about an 1/8" crown to it... not bad.
3. With weight on the pavement... all 4 wheels are leaning in at the top about 1/4"... not bad?

What could be causing the odd wear?

Typically, inside wear on tires is a sign of negative camber (bent end forgings or axle tubes). Worn out ball joints can cause it too but then, you typically have DW with it too.

Typically, inside wear on tires is a sign of negative camber (bent end forgings or axle tubes). Worn out ball joints can cause it too but then, you typically have DW with it too.
New Unit Bearings and BJ's went in 6k miles ago... I'm thinking Bent... but all the wheels are only at 1/4" out of plumb.. and you would think the front would be much worse if that was the case... so I don't know.

I could insert a specific tire related joke in here that would pertain to replacing them with a certain variation of those Trail Grapplers… but feel like I’ve overdone that one at this point.

Lol - in all seriousness that’s seriously odd it’s on all 4. Mine are wearing damn near perfectly even and I can only think it’d be your toe, ball joints, or bent components but again, all 4? All 4 inner sides? You haul the C-10 parts in your Jeep or what???

I could insert a specific tire related joke in here that would pertain to replacing them with a certain variation of those Trail Grapplers… but feel like I’ve overdone that one at this point.

Lol - in all seriousness that’s seriously odd it’s on all 4. Mine are wearing damn near perfectly even and I can only think it’d be your toe, ball joints, or bent components but again, all 4? All 4 inner sides? You haul the C-10 parts in your Jeep or what???
I'm pretty sure it started before the last rotation... then I moved them to the back. Thats why it's all 4.

Got it so a front to back roto? I’ve noticed that doing so keeps the Trail Graps pretty quiet but not wearing perfectly even. My guesses are the same then. Pretty sure @benatc1 had a similar problem with his Trail Grapplers earlier this year.
Yeah.. front to back.
I had that on my front wheels. I adjusted my toe, seemed to have gotten a bit off, checked axles ect and everything else was fine. I did rotate in a cross pattern and it smoothed my tires back out.

I believe cross pattern rotation helps keep trail grapplers quiet too if I recall correctly.

I had that on my front wheels. I adjusted my toe, seemed to have gotten a bit off, checked axles ect and everything else was fine. I did rotate in a cross pattern and it smoothed my tires back out.

I believe cross pattern rotation helps keep trail grapplers quiet too if I recall correctly.
Thanks for the info... I'll try a cross rotate next time and see if that helps.

Thanks for the info... I'll try a cross rotate next time and see if that helps.
I did just front to back for a while but have since switched to crossing them which has helped dramatically with the wear, front to back rotos starting cupping mine and crossing them (while it got a little louder since they were a little unevenly worn from all past rotations) helped even them out again, so much so they’re all quiet again no matter what spot they’re in.

I didn’t even realize front to back rotations were a thing. I thought the cross up was what everyone did.
Front to back was industry standard for a long time. When I worked in shops, crossing was more heard of somewhere around 2005-10 or so and still wasn't done a lot.

Front to back was industry standard for a long time. When I worked in shops, crossing was more heard of somewhere around 2005-10 or so and still wasn't done a lot.
Discount Tire (same place that lost 5 Mopar lug nuts and provided me with 5 corroded random used ones as replacement) explained to me that anything beyond the minimum was "too complicated" even though I wanted the 5-way criss-cross rotation documented on the Discount Tire web site, and in Jeep's tire manual. But the Jeep dealership had no problems with doing it.

Front to back is much less complex and does not require any thinking.

I did that rotation the whole life of my STT pros, every 4k to 5k miles. Unfortunately it didn’t help to keep them quiet or from cupping. Started doing the front to back method, which is what Eddie and Mel use, and so far, quiet, smooth and even wear.
Thats what I've always done...front to back... maybe the secret is to just change it up once in a while.

Was your cupping happening on the inside lugs only?

I did that rotation the whole life of my STT pros, every 4k to 5k miles. Unfortunately it didn’t help to keep them quiet or from cupping. Started doing the front to back method, which is what Eddie and Mel use, and so far, quiet, smooth and even wear.
My experience is a bit different. One my third set of mud trains first set I did front back and the ware was horrible. Switched to this method and everything has been great. Maybe different driving habits require different rotation procedures 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom