Wave from Baxter CA.

Slingshot

Hi All
Greeting from 4200 feet on I-80 halfway between Sacramento and Reno. First jeep was CJ7, second CJ2A maxed out, now 2013 JKU. Was member of Sacramento Treasure Hunters a few years back (1980s) with the CJ2A, we did most northern CA. and Nevada trails. Just starting to mod and fix the JKU with 99876 miles. Have 18inch stock Jeep wheels with new Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek 255/70R/18 tires. Rough Country front bumper with same brand winch (did not need vacuum relocation bracket). Work in progress; replace leaking rear axle seals and bearings, replace oil soaked E. Brake shoes. Rebuild rear LS. JKU has 99340 miles, 371 gears and rear factory LS. Just replaced thermostat and topped off with Peat OAT coolant. Thermostat only lasted 25K miles according to Carfax. Age (78) and cancer has slowed me down a bit, most of my wheeling is done on logging roads for exploring the Sierra National Forest. Winter is the fun time here, single lane road to cabin is 1/2 mile uphill, with Sierra Cement packed down to ice by the PG&E and Placer County trucks. Cooper tires work great. Next mods; rear bumper with spare tire rack and rock sliders. Iam a retired A&P with a pretty good selection of tools. I really appreciate the tech sections with pictures. My Chiton manual leaves a lot to be desired, a lot of mistakes and wrong info for some procedures. Looking for something better?
When weather and needs permit I drive a 2017 Polaris Slingshot.
Happy trails to you.
Slingshot

Welcome to WAL! Sounds like a pretty impressive stable of Jeeps you got! Sorry to hear about your cancer. My father is fighting stage 4a lung cancer right now. I hope it goes into remission soon for you!

Hey Slingshot, Welcome from Arizona 👋

Love that area, used to visit regularly back when. Haven't been there in about 10 years now 😔

Thank you, and good times to your father. No remission for me its a one way trip. However, I have lived a full life, working in 31 countries and living in 9.
Happy trails.
Slingshot

Hey Slingshot, Welcome from Arizona 👋

Love that area, used to visit regularly back when. Haven't been there in about 10 years now 😔
Thank you for the response. I have seen some pictures of Arizona trails, looks like fun in your part of the country.

Yes, they should be. Still trying to learn all the ones close to me. Have several within a few miles of my house & others within an hour.
Knew all sorts of trails in the Mojave, Southeastern Sierra, Tehachapi's and such. Didn't get to travel the trails up around your area near as much as I wanted. I also do detecting & prospecting when I can.

Yes, they should be. Still trying to learn all the ones close to me. Have several within a few miles of my house & others within an hour.
Knew all sorts of trails in the Mojave, Southeastern Sierra, Tehachapi's and such. Didn't get to travel the trails up around your area near as much as I wanted. I also do detecting & prospecting when I can.
Lived in Victorville while stationed at George AFB in 62-63, learned to love the Mojave. Also do some placer mining, a hole in the river I throw money into. Gold Gold the fever that will kill you.

Lived in Victorville while stationed at George AFB in 62-63, learned to love the Mojave. Also do some placer mining, a hole in the river I throw money into. Gold Gold the fever that will kill you.
Yep, but it's such an addictive infection! 😁. Prospected more than a few areas in the Mojave, Sierra's and such.
Had a buddy at Edwards for several years, then at Rachel, NV (working you know where). We ran the trails all over the Mojave in his YJ or my Ramcharger. Even did the entire length of Last Chance Canyon in the Ramcharger one year.

Yep, but it's such an addictive infection! 😁. Prospected more than a few areas in the Mojave, Sierra's and such.
Had a buddy at Edwards for several years, then at Rachel, NV (working you know where). We ran the trails all over the Mojave in his YJ or my Ramcharger. Even did the entire length of Last Chance Canyon in the Ramcharger one year.
Lots of old mines in the Mojave. Found a few by almost falling into them, dont know how they dug a hole straight down 60 feet back in the old days. Must have had the fever very bad to do so.

BTW, I lived in Tehachapi from 1985 to 2015. Finally got moved back to my beloved state of Arizona in 2015.

Those shafts in the Mojave we're due to them finding the best later if gold from the ancient river down there. Lots of dug out holes out there too. They mined gold & lived in them.

Yep, always good to have something around to eat 😋. My other (hunting) buddy loved to make rattlesnake and eggs for breakfast. Neither of our families wanted any though 😂.
They used to have a chili cook-off at the old mining town at Soledad mountain. You could always count on some great rattlesnake chili there. Last I knew though, it's all closed down except for the mining operation.

This seems like a good spot on I-80. You have been around the block a few times with adventures and experiences.

Welcome from Texas!

Top Bottom