Wanting 37s

That just means you got lucky, I've seen guys who put 37s on a D30 literaly drove out of the shop and sheared the c(s) on the first corner or speed bump they hit

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

That just means you got lucky, I've seen guys who put 37s on a D30 literaly drove out of the shop and sheared the c(s) on the first corner or speed bump they hit

I guess I'm lucky too. I've beat he hell out of my 30 on 37s, with no reinforcement whatsoever lol. And it sounds like you're either 1) lying about the C's coming off after a turn or 2) your friend is the most unlucky guy ever lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a jkur with c gussets, auto, 3.73, 3.6L. Just put on 37s and slabs 1000 miles ago and no problems. It works for daily driving.

Still, I have ball joints, gears and brakes waiting to be installed. Honestly, I'm surprised that it works as well as it does with stock brakes and steering. If you read the forums, you'd imagine turning 37s in a parking spot would be impossible. I can't turn it almost as easily as stock tires. I can also get up to 95mph+ easily. Still it hunts for gears on the highway cruising at 70mph.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a jkur with c gussets, auto, 3.73, 3.6L. Just put on 37s and slabs 1000 miles ago and no problems. It works for daily driving.

Still, I have ball joints, gears and brakes waiting to be installed. Honestly, I'm surprised that it works as well as it does with stock brakes and steering. If you read the forums, you'd imagine turning 37s in a parking spot would be impossible. I can't turn it almost as easily as stock tires. I can also get up to 95mph+ easily. Still it hunts for gears on the highway cruising at 70mph.

You have 3.73s? I figured you had 4.10s. I need to see pics of your jeep dude! Didn't know you got 37s

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

You have 3.73s? I figured you had 4.10s. I need to see pics of your jeep dude! Didn't know you got 37s

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL, I didn't know shit about jeeps when I bought mine. 3.73 rubicon!!!

I got 37" nitro ridge grapplers and slabs on with my evo level kit. Check out my build thread. BTW I'll be putting on a 3" enforcer sometime this year with the help of some WAYALIFE folks, it'd be great if you can help out!

I guess I'm lucky too. I've beat he hell out of my 30 on 37s, with no reinforcement whatsoever lol. And it sounds like you're either 1) lying about the C's coming off after a turn or 2) your friend is the most unlucky guy ever lol

I should have been more clear he hit the curb going around the corner and sheared the c where the ball joint is at the apex. A different person hit a speed bump (I am assuming at speed) and sheared the bottom of the c almost dead center of the lower half. Unlucky definitely... But I personally would upgrade my axle before I spent nearly the same amount on tires/rims. To each their own I'm not telling anyone they are right or wrong. Just my opinion and what I've seen.

Edit: my philosophy has always been functionality before looks.

Last edited:
I run 35s with no reinforcement.

That said, I wish I had 37s.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app
You have a Rubicon, OP does not.
You do realize the JK 44 and 30 are basically the same axle right??? Lol

There is some truth to that, some.

Close but not exactly. Both Dana 30 and Dana 44 JK front axles share the same tubes, end forgings, knuckles and brakes. The Dana 44 is only a 44 because of it's larger differential and beefier shafts which have bigger joints and a greater spline count - it's more of a hybrid 44 than a true 44.

Here's some more specific info on both:

DANA 30
Dana 30 front axles have a 7-1/8″ diameter ring gear and come standard on Sahara and X model Jeep JK Wranglers with a gear ratio of 3.21. For 2007, an optional 4.10 gear ratio was available on towing packages. In 2008, this was changed and the only optional factory gear ratio now available is 3.73. Dana 30 front axles do not come with any limited slip or locking differentials. Dana 30 axle shafts are 27 spline.

DANA 44
Dana 44 axles have an 8-1/2″ diameter ring gear and now come standard on the rear end of all Jeep JK Wranglers. Sahara, Sport and X models come standard with 3.21 gear ratio. In 2007, optional towing packages were available with a 4.10 gear ratio. In 2008, the only optional factory gear ratio available is now 3.73. A limited slip differential is available as an option and as of 2008, a selectable electric locking differential is available as an option as well. All Rubicon model Jeep JK Wranglers come standard with front and rear Dana 44 axles, a 4.10 gear ratio and selectable electric locking differentials. Dana 44 axle shafts are 30 spline.

Here's a pic I took to help give you a better idea of ring gear size differences:

main.php

And, here's a couple of pics I took to help give you a better idea of axle shaft size differences:

Shafts
main.php

Stub Shafts
main.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I should have been more clear he hit the curb going around the corner and sheared the c where the ball joint is at the apex. A different person hit a speed bump (I am assuming at speed) and sheared the bottom of the c almost dead center of the lower half. Unlucky definitely... But I personally would upgrade my axle before I spent nearly the same amount on tires/rims. To each their own I'm not telling anyone they are right or wrong. Just my opinion and what I've seen.

Edit: my philosophy has always been functionality before looks.
Ahhh ok I gotcha now. I literally thought you meant he turned and it broke lol. But yea I can see how hitting a speed bump with some momentum can break some shit and hitting a curb too.

Ahhh ok I gotcha now. I literally thought you meant he turned and it broke lol. But yea I can see how hitting a speed bump with some momentum can break some shit and hitting a curb too.

I got a chuckle out of the mental image of the poor guy leaving the shop, hitting a Botts Dot in the road, and his axle breaking. :D

You do realize the JK 44 and 30 are basically the same axle right??? Lol

Yes it uses the same tubes as the d30, but it still users the d44 differentials and housing. Now them can you still steer it with the stock pump? Can you drive it with 37s? Can you wheel it with 37's? Answer is yes. But the stock pump will wear out rather quickly better hope that isn't while driving. It will decrease the life of your transmission on the stock setup with stock gears especially if your running an automatic, and while a company cannot void the warranty on a vehicle just because you added mods or even larger tires they can however void the warranty when those 37s are the direct cause of the failure. What you don't realize is that sure you can run 37s on your stock jeep with a stock d30 but you will also cause the entire drive train to fail prematurely. Those stock c joints were never designed to handle the added stress of those tires nor were the axles. Like it or not you can do it , but there is a price to pay for that. It is the rapid rate of wear on all components of the drive train. As for breaks sure they will stop those bigger tires but not as easily and while your breaking much harder than you did with the 32s your also creating a much higher amount of force on all components. Like it or not the laws of physics are absolute and are not going to cease to exist just because you don't think they apply to you. Also how many people are wheeling even the rubi front d44 without gusseting the c joints? Ummm so far I have not seem a single one. Like it or not 37s will eventually break the axle or the housing and it will do it quicker than the 32s will and will cause a break on easier trails just due to the added weight of the tire which requires more torque to turn them. Not saying you cannot run them. Hell you can run them on an amc20 if you wish, but you will cause the drive train to fail much sooner. And if you happen to get one with a slight flaw you may find out about it much much sooner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I got a chuckle out of the mental image of the poor guy leaving the shop, hitting a Botts Dot in the road, and his axle breaking. :D
You should have seen his face, you would have thought someone just castrated him. He literally cried. He hit the curb at just the right angle and speed it broke the bead on the tire and I am almost positive hitting the curb + 4inch plus lift + instantly hitting said curb with shiny new rim = broken c. I felt bad for the guy.

I've done Moab and the Rubicon on 37s and my stock axles. The 30 can handle it. BTW! I do realize I've been lucky!

There's even a shop in Dallas putting 40s on JKs with the 30. That's just plain foolish IMO though. I think the name of the place was Smith Offroad.

You should have seen his face, you would have thought someone just castrated him. He literally cried. He hit the curb at just the right angle and speed it broke the bead on the tire and I am almost positive hitting the curb + 4inch plus lift + instantly hitting said curb with shiny new rim = broken c. I felt bad for the guy.

It's a tough break, for sure, but better there than on the trail somewhere.

Top Bottom