Tire Carrier

No I have not as of yet.
Last I heard they were at the Offroad Expo last week and it was Canadian thanksgiving last weekend.
It's not a bad carrier, it is quite strong. I wasn't very impressed at with the quality control though.
Had I not cut my tailgate hinges before finding this out, I probably wouldn't have installed it.

Definitely give them a call I'm sure Shad will take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No I have not as of yet.
Last I heard they were at the Offroad Expo last week and it was Canadian thanksgiving last weekend.
It's not a bad carrier, it is quite strong. I wasn't very impressed at with the quality control though.
Had I not cut my tailgate hinges before finding this out, I probably wouldn't have installed it.
Wow! I didn't have those issues with mine. I spoke with CC about the hi lift mount and they were great to talk with. You should call them and discuss the issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wow! I didn't have those issues with mine. I spoke with CC about the hi lift mount and they were great to talk with. You should call them and discuss the issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is the plan, I just sent over a message via their website.
Not trying to bash them. We've just seen a couple of these issues over here on rigs.
Friend is currently dealing with them for issues with their body mounted sliders.

Yes it was the Crawler Conceptz body mounted carrier.
I can certainly upload some, I'm at work at the moment though.
There was multiple fitment issues, not like a "tight tolerence to not rattle" type of fitment.
It was really poorly cut. The tire carrier W shape portion that attaches to the carrier had the bolt holes off by ~1/2 an inch.
I had to re-drill that and grind the top of the slotted portion to get the bolts through.
They also hit eachother underneath due to the bolts being too long, so I couldn't tighten them all the way.
Brackets also needed to be put into a vice and opened up. Hammered my tailgate arms(?) into the bracket for at least half an hour and they wouldn't fit.
Now the tailgate feels extremely heavy to open. I assume this will loosen up over time.

Tried painting it a couple seperate times, still not sticking. Taking it all apart again tomorrow and going to try another time.

Another part I just remembered, the wheel stud mounting plate had the holes drilled too small. The wheel studs won't fully seat even with an air impact.
When I take the spare off, the studs just fall out of the slots. So I have to try and lift my spare (37) while fiddling with these wheel studs :/
I had the issue with the W shaped bracket where the slot and holes didn't line up. CC said to drill out the slot. Mine was off by maybe an eighth so not that much. Still annoying. I too had issues with the stud holes but mine were too small. I had to drill them out. They aren't perfectly tight but I think they will hold. Did an offroading trip a couple weekends past and had zero issues with the carrier. I'm running 35" duratracs and Chamber Pros.

I know it sucks but you can buy new hinges with pins. The new EVO carrier came out right after I got my CC one and it was the one I wanted. I may buy it later on...the design overall is better I think.

i'm just gunna make one like the EVO one.. then I can add and tailor it to me and my ends and it will be a 3rd the price .

I'm looking at purchasing a new tire carrier, have a few I'm trying to decide between. Anyone that has ran any of these I would love you hear the pros/cons of each. I'm currently running a 37x13.50 Toyo but hopefully soon will be switching to 40's. The body mounted carriers say up to a 37" tire so if I do decide to go the 40's route, it wouldn't work. Thanks in advance for any info and opinions!

Excessive Industries:

DV8 Offroad:

Evo Mfg:

Evo Mfg:

To me personally, the Excessive Industries setup is a joke or at least, for anyone who actually uses their Jeep out in the west. Sure, it "looks" cool but it leaves you with virtually no space to carry tools, recovery gear and parts let alone any camping gear. But again, that's just me.

As far as the Excessive Industries setup that has the spare mounted up high on the roll bar, it's just more proof to me that they're more concerned about "looks" than anything. Sure, with it you can carry gear but forget running any kind of a top. Also, putting that much weight so high will totally throw off your center of gravity. But hey, what would I know.

The DV8 setup is clearly a rip off of GenRight only from China like all their stuff is.

The EVO hinged tire carrier is not rated for a 40 and for a good reason.

The EVO tire carrier that attaches to their body armor is what I run now and it's the only thing I've felt comfortable holding a 200 lb. spare while bombing across the desert. If you're more into rock crawling and don't plan on doing any bombing, I might recommend something else as it is a bit of a pain to get in and out of the back.

Would advise against this one. Just got mine two weeks ago. Tolerances are really poor. Lots of stuff needing to be cut/re-drilled to fit. Also came coated in machine oil which made painting a nightmare.

••CC carrier

Man, that's a bummer to hear. I have this carrier, everything fit perfect and it was cake easy to paint. It's the only product of theirs I have ever purchased and haven't had to use them for any bit of customer service but I would hope they will do what they can to help you out. Still a pain in the ass to deal with :(

I love my Evo tire carrier. Like Eddie said, might be a bit overkill if you don't drive fast offroad. I've done 60+ mph on some rough desert roads and my spare stays rock sold, and I get barely any noise from the tire carrier. Some knocking due to the Johnny Joints being a loose fit on the opening end of the carrier, but nothing annoying. It does take more effort to open it that a typical carrier. I use Tractor Supply hitch pins with handles to make it a bit easier, and also have my carrier adjusted to open pretty smoothly. I have to lift my carrier about 1/8" to 1/4" to it to shut. I can still do it one handed while carrying one of my kids. It's pricey compared to some body mounted carriers, but doesn't really cost any more than a typical rear bumper w/tire carrier like something from LoD. But you will not find a more robust tire carrier on the market.

image-3750230772.jpgimage-185381068.jpg

Last edited:
Being that you can make one, perhaps you should try making one that's all your own.

sadly I can't reinvent the wheel here... its been done so many different ways that its almost impossible to be original with a design. that being said using joints for the ends and a similar back to attach to corner armor is all that will be similar.

Would advise against this one. Just got mine two weeks ago. Tolerances are really poor. Lots of stuff needing to be cut/re-drilled to fit. Also came coated in machine oil which made painting a nightmare.

••CC carrier

Sounds like there inner fender liners I bought...rough edges, bad drilled holes. I'm looking to replaced the 10/a Hard Rock bumpers but am steering clear of the CC brand stuff.

How's this one?
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Body-Mounted-Tire-Carrier-p/17-13-010.htm

Last edited:
Sounds like there inner fender liners I bought...rough edges, bad drilled holes. I'm looking to replaced the 10/a Hard Rock bumpers but am steering clear of the CC brand stuff.

How's this one?
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Body-Mounted-Tire-Carrier-p/17-13-010.htm

Still surprised to hear these bad reviews from CCs I just installed their corner armor with a little help from a friend. It took 4 to 5 hrs and the fit is perfect.

Still surprised to hear these bad reviews from CCs I just installed their corner armor with a little help from a friend. It took 4 to 5 hrs and the fit is perfect.

I just don't think their quality control is up to par yet.
Tried painting the carrier again this weekend.
Still not sticking. Guess I'm going to spend the money and powdercoat.
Already rusting from the paint issues. Pretty annoyed.

For my CC carrier I had issues with paint sticking as well. Didn't sand but I cleaned with mineral spirits then self etching primer then paint then clear. Waited a few days, came off with my finger nail. I contacted a local Dustless Blasting contractor and he blasted all the parts. I did the same process as above and the paint is holding.

On my evo rocm skins and previous PSC front bumper I sanded by hand them did the process above and the paint took months to fully cure. Not sure if was environmental factors or what but I have always had issues with paint sticking. The only two things that worked perfectly was my evo sliders and previous PSC carrier which I only cleaned with mineral spirits then bed lined with Rustoleum. No issues at all with those two.

Perhaps I just suck at regular paint.

I just don't think their quality control is up to par yet.
Tried painting the carrier again this weekend.
Still not sticking. Guess I'm going to spend the money and powdercoat.
Already rusting from the paint issues. Pretty annoyed.

Powder coat is probably a good idea. I noticed some rust issues behind my spare yesterday.

Top Bottom