The building of knuckles

Knuckles has some new wheels on order! :rock:

Awsome Mike! I'm really considering that Evo offer as well. It's hard to pass up. I just cant make my mind up to hydro assist first or do the beadlocks. We ran Potato again on Saturday and I had a few instances when I hard time taking some lines I wanted too with stock steering. I think it makes sense to do beadlocks first...:thinking:

Awsome Mike! I'm really considering that Evo offer as well. It's hard to pass up. I just cant make my mind up to hydro assist first or do the beadlocks. We ran Potato again on Saturday and I had a few instances when I hard time taking some lines I wanted too with stock steering. I think it makes sense to do beadlocks first...:thinking:

Yeah, stearing assist was probably going to be my next mod too. But I figure I would take advantage of the slab sale, plus I want to see a full working version of the PCS in the 2012+ before I drop that kind of loot. That was an interesting point you raised about having the ram assist without beadlocks. I've ended a run before at around 5 psi :eek: and never had issue, but it wasn't a good feeling.

Took advantage of a little break in the weather to do some much needed cosmetic maintenance.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501633.405304.jpg
First, a wash and a wax was in order.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501487.546748.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501499.731623.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501512.583601.jpg
Skids, sliders and frame were all scratched to hell from the mall :rock: and with the snow we get it was starting to form surface rust. Can't have my baby all brown...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501580.416449.jpg
A wire brush on a drill and some rustoleum spray paint and voilá! Good as new.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501706.508439.jpg
Lower control arms looking good as new.

Also touched up my axles and control arm skids.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501762.251311.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359501778.239045.jpg
This is what happens when you have lots of flex, 37" tires, not enough wheel backspacing and rock lights mounted too low...or some combination thereof. Good thing they were only $20 a pair.

Also trimmed a little more off my rear pinch seem where I was touching and a few other minor things. Felt good to be in the garage.

Last edited:
Looking good!

As Eddie mentioned in my "flop thread", it's a slippery slope..... If you let all those little repairs go on too long without being fixed, there is almost no way to recover. Glad to see you got some decent weather that allowed you to catch up. Last weekend at home, we had serious amounts of rain that really hindered my body repair on my rig. Friday evening and Saturday are my catch up days- body work, re-paint and doing the same to my sliders and armor :icon_crazy:

As Eddie mentioned in my "flop thread", it's a slippery slope..... If you let all those little repairs go on too long without being fixed, there is almost no way to recover. Glad to see you got some decent weather that allowed you to catch up. Last weekend at home, we had serious amounts of rain that really hindered my body repair on my rig. Friday evening and Saturday are my catch up days- body work, re-paint and doing the same to my sliders and armor :icon_crazy:

Ain't that the truth. I've been wanting to do the underside since I got back from Vegas at Thanksgiving, but life (and the weather) kept getting in the way. Have a bit more to do underneath to hold me over until spring. Then I am using your sprinkler trick to get the last of the JKX mud out. :shock:

Do you do your own paint on the body?

Then I am using your sprinkler trick to get the last of the JKX mud out. :shock:

It works pretty well. 👍 I just bought a hose attachment at lowes. 3ft to 6ft extension with a tilting high pressure tip on the end. It worked great in wheel wells and undercarriage.

So there's 100% no benefit whatsoever in cryo tx ur RP? Im curious about this?

Unless you find someone who makes high nickel alloy jet-industry grade steel R&Ps, a severe quench like cryo, will have little to no effect. This is especially true weeks to months after heat treatment, once you purchase them from the supplier. In high nickel alloys, cryo would give you a few extra hardness points on the HRC scale. In more typical steels your hardness might vary a fraction of a point, if cryo were administered rapidly after the quench and temper operation in heat treatment. So save your money, cryo won't improve your R&Ps wear properties or overall life.

Unless you find someone who makes high nickel alloy jet-industry grade steel R&Ps, a severe quench like cryo, will have little to no effect. This is especially true weeks to months after heat treatment, once you purchase them from the supplier. In high nickel alloys, cryo would give you a few extra hardness points on the HRC scale. In more typical steels your hardness might vary a fraction of a point, if cryo were administered rapidly after the quench and temper operation in heat treatment. So save your money, cryo won't improve your R&Ps wear properties or overall life.

Color me surprised! I didnt know the only metal effected by cryo was nickel alloys! How are the cryo companies still in business. Not denying or debating, as i know little to nothing about metal properties. :thinking:

Color me surprised! I didnt know the only metal effected by cryo was nickel alloys! How are the cryo companies still in business. Not denying or debating, as i know little to nothing about metal properties. :thinking:

Because its a sellable product. Even with normal steel alloys, you can say that cryo "improves hardness by improving microstructure" without lying, it's just that the "improvement" is so minuscule that you would never notice the difference. "New and improved" sells product, whether the actual improvements are tangible or just theoretical. And for the record, I've never seen a "cryo company", but would assume they do a whole lot more than handle walk-in jeeper's gears.

....Do you do your own paint on the body?

To certain degree yes. A loooonnggg time ago I took a course at a community college to learn body work. I then proceeded to restored a badass 1966 VW bug that I used to drag race, it was a fun project! I then proceeded to never do that level of body repair again. Aside from minor scratches, I have not really done anything that could be considered body work. I just took a look at my dings from the flop over and said I think I can manage this.

Took advantage of a little break in the weather to do some much needed cosmetic maintenance.

View attachment 14277
View attachment 14278
View attachment 14279
Skids, sliders and frame were all scratched to hell from the mall :rock: and with the snow we get it was starting to form surface rust. Can't have my baby all brown...

After looking at these pics,:eek: you've inspired me to crawl under my Jeep and do some cleaning and touchup. :thumb:

By the way... You are going to love the PSC steering and RAM assist upgrade! Best investment I've made so far... :yup:

Top Bottom