The Build and Adventures of Bearbait

45 minimum. For Flyfishing in Alaska my dad and I carry stub nosed 454 casull’s in kyndex holsters on our chests. Absolute wrist breakers, but God forbid you ever need it, at least you have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

45 minimum. For Flyfishing in Alaska my dad and I carry stub nosed 454 casull’s in kyndex holsters on our chests. Absolute wrist breakers, but God forbid you ever need it, at least you have a chance.

Sorry for the hijack, but what kind of chest holster and how do you like it as far as comfort. I carry a 500 for hiking here with a leg holster. It's not too bad, but the gun is still heavy and I've really been considering a chest holster. I just don't want it to interfere with my backpack.

Thank you for that! I was eventually going to ask on here, but you just now answered it!

Edit: I’ve never owned a gun before, but I have fired them several times before.. my question is what would be a good gun brand? Ruger is one I typically see...

Sorry for the hijack, but what kind of chest holster and how do you like it as far as comfort. I carry a 500 for hiking here with a leg holster. It's not too bad, but the gun is still heavy and I've really been considering a chest holster. I just don't want it to interfere with my backpack.

No worries, that’s actually a great question I would like to hear since we are typically wearing some sort of backpack.

Last edited:
My Aunt & Uncle used to live in Alaska and when we went for walks on their property I think she would carry a .357 and him a .44 revolver. I remember him telling me how important shot placement is when killing a bear. I also read somewhere that the Glock 20 - 10mm is a solid choice because it’s dependable, easy to carry and has a higher round capacity. I’m guessing, something in a large caliber that you can shoot accurate.

My Aunt & Uncle used to live in Alaska and when we went for walks on their property I think she would carry a .357 and him a .44 revolver. I remember him telling me how important shot placement is when killing a bear. I also read somewhere that the Glock 20 - 10mm is a solid choice because it’s dependable, easy to carry and has a higher round capacity. I’m guessing, something in a large caliber that you can shoot accurate.

Good to know! Thank you! I’m certainly going to do my homework, but this is a great start!

Would you suggest a revolver for bear protection? Or a pistol? Or is there much of a difference?

Edit: I kind of like the price of the ruger sr45

If you want to carry a large caliber like 454, 500, even something like a .357 mag, .44 mag. It’ll be in a revolver. If you want a semi auto maybe look at the Glock 10mm.

Edit: I don’t think a .45 is going to do much for you unless you only have black bears in the area you’ll be. Maybe... If your in grizzly country you’ll want a larger caliber. Either way an angry bear or defensive bear works off of adrenaline and the will to survive so lean towards a larger caliber.

Last edited:

I had to try to find a picture but I don’t have any decent shots of it. It was made by Kenai.

IMG_0035.JPG

They didn’t make it for the casull, I had to swap out the correct holster. It was comfortable and I could put it over my waders.

I’ve never owned a gun before, but I have fired them several times before.. my question is what would be a good gun brand? Ruger is one I typically see...

Would you suggest a revolver for bear protection? Or a pistol? Or is there much of a difference?

Edit: I kind of like the price of the ruger sr45

Since you've never owned one, try and find a gun range that rents several. Shoot a bunch and get a feel for it. Also, if you have a gun show nearby, try going to one of those, you can get a lot of weapons in your hands and try out holsters for comfort. And research quality. A gun isn't something you want to go cheap on. It could save your life. We have a gun thread here as well :
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/10907-Show-your-guns

Where you're at, I'm assuming you have grizzly and moose. Personally I wouldn't go smaller than a 44 Magnum. We only have black bear here (no grizzly) and they don't concern me near as much as our moose. That's the main reason that I carry what I do.
I had to try to find a picture but I don’t have any decent shots of it. It was made by Kenai.

View attachment 315015

They didn’t make it for the casull, I had to swap out the correct holster. It was comfortable and I could put it over my waders.

Thank you. I'll give it a look.

Top Bottom