Steering wheel shake

maidenhell

I have a 2013 JKUR. I installed the rough country 2.5 spacer lift last July. I had about 15000km on it, I now have 36000. I had no issues with the install and no issues afterwards with a wobble until about a week ago I noticed that when I hit a bump my steering wheel shakes back and forth for a few seconds. I don't think it's DW, from what I read on here you will know when ya get it. I never got an alignment after either. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a 2013 JKUR. I installed the rough country 2.5 spacer lift last July. I had about 15000km on it, I now have 36000. I had no issues with the install and no issues afterwards with a wobble until about a week ago I noticed that when I hit a bump my steering wheel shakes back and forth for a few seconds. I don't think it's DW, from what I read on here you will know when ya get it. I never got an alignment after either. Any ideas?

Have you check the torque on your track bar? Your steering stabilizer is probably masking the full on death wobble with that shake.

I would have to agree check all the torque settings. I changed my stock stabilizer out for an aftermarket and it broke it one trip. The stock one masks the issues.

U GOONIE

Maybe before I do my axle swap I'll loosen up my track bar and set up the GoPro so people can see what a Full- On Death Wobble looks like from the drivers seat. Gets your attention for sure, lol.

36000 miles I would be checking ball joints after you check the track bar. I just replaced mine at 15k because they had quite a bit of play. Threw some dynatrac ball joints in there and it tightened everything right up.

36000 miles I would be checking ball joints after you check the track bar. I just replaced mine at 15k because they had quite a bit of play. Threw some dynatrac ball joints in there and it tightened everything right up.

Kilometers not miles.

I jacked it up checked the ball joints, tie rod ends and I don't have a torque wrench, but I tried to tighten the trac bar bolts and I could even budge them. I got it on jacks and got my wife to move the steering wheel back and forth. I heard a little clinking sound but couldn't identify where it came from. I think I felt the death wobble on the way home. I has to make and evasive maneuver and I hit a bump and the steering wheel started to shake for about 3-4 seconds then stopped. What's next? Should I get my tires rebalanced?

Thanks guys for your help

I have the same lift and had the same problem up until yesterday. I re torqued the front and rear track bar they were loss. I never removed the front but must have loosened up after installation. Also check your tire pressure I had 44psi in mine and made it 10x worst. I had my tire rotated snd they put air in tires. I think way to much. I lowered down to 32psi and much better:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I checked my tires and they were at 41psi. I lowered them to 32. I will have to bring it in and get the track bar torqued and get everything in the front end checked. Thanks a lot guys. Will let ya know how it goes.

I brought it to a garage. They checked it over and said ball joints and tie rods and everything was good and tight. They said the stabilizer is what causing the problem. I have to drive a couple of hours on the highway. Is it safe to be driving?

I brought it to a garage. They checked it over and said ball joints and tie rods and everything was good and tight. They said the stabilizer is what causing the problem. I have to drive a couple of hours on the highway. Is it safe to be driving?

Stabilizer does not cause death wobble or a shake. Did you physically watch them torque the bolts?

I never seen them torque the bolts, but isn't that the job of the stabilizer to help with that.

but isn't that the job of the stabilizer to help with that.

No! Its sole purpose is to stabilize your steering in the event of hitting a pot hole or other object which could throw your steering off. It dampens that blow to allow you to maintain control. If the world were a perfect place and roads were pristine, it would not be needed at all

To add to that...anyone who tells you to get a steering stabilizer or dual system doesn't know what they are talking about. All that does is mask the real issue which is (like mentioned above) usually trackbar not properly torqued, bad balljoint, out of balance tire(or mud packed inside the wheel).

Top Bottom