Someone just tried to assassinate Trump

The Libertarian part of me tells me that voter ID (and other such government inflicted arbitrary infringements on personal liberties) in order to achieve a marginal improvement is bad.

We have the technology to avoid voter ID and still achieve the intended purpose (each person gets one vote).

In Iran voters must dip their finger in ink, which is not removable for several weeks.

The system Iran uses is to behead you if you vote illegally. It seems to work just fine.

The Libertarian part of me tells me that voter ID (and other such government inflicted arbitrary infringements on personal liberties) in order to achieve a marginal improvement is bad.

We have the technology to avoid voter ID and still achieve the intended purpose (each person gets one vote).

In Iran voters must dip their finger in ink, which is not removable for several weeks.

The system Iran uses is to behead you if you vote illegally. It seems to work just fine.
I do tend to agree that anything government does becomes a burdensome clusterfuck. However It does seem an ID scheme would be fairly straight forward. Va had a very basic ID card for registered voters which was working until some communist special interest (democrats) decided it had to go. So now we have no idea who is voting in the elections and a solid conservative state has become increasingly communist.

I do tend to agree that anything government does becomes a burdensome clusterfuck. However It does seem an ID scheme would be fairly straight forward. Va had a very basic ID card for registered voters which was working until some communist special interest (democrats) decided it had to go. So now we have no idea who is voting in the elections and a solid conservative state has become increasingly communist.
Why should we need any identification other than to prove ownership of property? What ID did the founding fathers use?

It seems that Social Security cards were invented in 1936. This is around the same time that states started issuing drivers licenses. Before then, citizens were not tracked by the government.

Proof of identity in order to vote may seem like a good idea, but it would have seemed appalling to our founding fathers and there would have been another revolution.

Why should we need any identification other than to prove ownership of property? What ID did the founding fathers use?

It seems that Social Security cards were invented in 1936. This is around the same time that states started issuing drivers licenses. Before then, citizens were not tracked by the government.

Proof of identity in order to vote may seem like a good idea, but it would have seemed appalling to our founding fathers and there would have been another revolution.
But that’s not the world we live in Bob. You have a drivers license and tags on your Jeep I’m sure you registered with Selective Service when they asked and you have a social security card as well. I agree these were all conditioned into us as yutes getting drivers license was a big rite of passage when I turned 16. I had to have a social security number to open a bank account. A piece of paper that says I’m a legal registered voter kinda pales next to all the other infringements we’ve subjected ourselves to. We’re way past the point the nations founders would have been slitting throats and decorating lamp posts with politicians.

Top Bottom