Sdpd

I lost my keys, it cost me $200 just for a non electronic key, I had to go to the dealer with my registration and CDL to get the code so a locksmith could make me a key, the dealer wanted $350 to make a key :yup: then I found my keys in kitty's jeep :doh:

Interesting, not sure I want to know how your keys ended up in her jeep:rolleyes:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not sure how well this works but have heard you can just leave one key hidden inside the jeep and have a bunch of chipless keys made that will work due to the computer knowing the chips close
True to a certain extent. Each key has a transponder inside of it that communicates with a receiver inside the steering column. The transponder has to be pretty darn close to the receiver (inches) for it to function to start the car with a non-transponder cut key. So in theory, you can cut open your original key, remove the transponder,scotch tape it to the steering column near the ignition (with a power source attached, I assume) and start the car with a cut key from Wal Mart.
Back in the day, thieves could simply swap the computer out on the vehicle, punch the ignition and use a key mated to the new computer. The new VATS systems make theft very difficult, but not impossible. Best deterrents are to park in well lit areas and lock your vehicle.

Top Bottom