Sdpd

wilyuhm

Just wanted to let all my fellow San Diegan Wayalifers know about a message that was relayed to me today.
This afternoon San Diego PD contacted me about a rise in auto thefts (particularly Jeep Wranglers). A detective from the Auto Theft Division notified me that a couple of car thieves were caught the other day.
In their possession was a list of Jeeps with their VINs and license plate numbers. These are the Jeeps that were being targeted by these guys. Unfortunately my Jeep was on that list and that is why the detective contacted me. The detective told me I need to get a kill switch installed or at best park it in a garage. I have already taken the measures of installing a kill switch since someone already tried to break in but the interesting thing is the info the thieves had.
The detective informed me that since they have the VIN the crooks have the ability to go to any Jeep dealership and have a key made. So keep an eye out on your Jeep since the POS's are getting clever.

Just wanted to let all my fellow San Diegan Wayalifers know about a message that was relayed to me today.
This afternoon San Diego PD contacted me about a rise in auto thefts (particularly Jeep Wranglers). A detective from the Auto Theft Division notified me that a couple of car thieves were caught the other day.
In their possession was a list of Jeeps with their VINs and license plate numbers. These are the Jeeps that were being targeted by these guys. Unfortunately my Jeep was on that list and that is why the detective contacted me. The detective told me I need to get a kill switch installed or at best park it in a garage. I have already taken the measures of installing a kill switch since someone already tried to break in but the interesting thing is the info the thieves had.
The detective informed me that since they have the VIN the crooks have the ability to go to any Jeep dealership and have a key made. So keep an eye out on your Jeep since the POS's are getting clever.

Jeep has actually changed their policy on that, you have to be the registered owner that matches the vin and be there in person with ID :yup: ask me how I know :grayno:

How do you know?😒

I lost my keys, it cost me $200 just for a non electronic key, I had to go to the dealer with my registration and CDL to get the code so a locksmith could make me a key, the dealer wanted $350 to make a key :yup: then I found my keys in kitty's jeep :doh:

Jeep has actually changed their policy on that, you have to be the registered owner that matches the vin and be there in person with ID :yup: ask me how I know :grayno:

This is true for most vehicles. I bought Kim a Honda Pilot 3 days ago and the battery was disco'd for too long which caused the radio to need the code to work. The dealership needed me and the Honda in front of them to give me the code just to make the radio work, let alone making keys :crazyeyes:

.....unless these theives have an inside man at a Jeep dealership to make the keys for them, which is highly possible!

I lost my keys, it cost me $200 just for a non electronic key, I had to go to the dealer with my registration and CDL to get the code so a locksmith could make me a key, the dealer wanted $350 to make a key :yup: then I found my keys in kitty's jeep :doh:

What!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Hopefully I never lose my key

This is true for most vehicles. I bought Kim a Honda Pilot 3 days ago and the battery was disco'd for too long which caused the radio to need the code to work. The dealership needed me and the Honda in front of them to give me the code just to make the radio work, let alone making keys :crazyeyes:

.....unless these theives have an inside man at a Jeep dealership to make the keys for them, which is highly possible!

Wait....you bought Kim a what?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to contact the Auto Theft Detective handing the case, or better yet, wait till they call you.

You can contact SDPD and speak with them. But according to the detective he already contacted pretty much everyone on the list.

Not sure how well this works but have heard you can just leave one key hidden inside the jeep and have a bunch of chipless keys made that will work due to the computer knowing the chips close

Top Bottom