Powerplant 9.5 with additional tank?

I have the 9500 version and it fills my 35's in under a minute and a half and it runs the entire time while I fill all 4 tires, well that is until it reaches full pressure then it will shut off until I start filling the next tire. You get the idea.

To all of you thinking about running an auxiliary tank you will have to figure out a couple of things first.

1) When the pressure switch shuts off the compressor it also shuts off the winch! They use the same motor. The only difference is the manual lever that moves the drive gear from the cable drum to free wheel vrs driving the drum. You will have to find a way to leave the compressor open so it can't build up pressure.

2) That also means that you will have to find a way to keep the air already in the tank in the tank so it won't drain while your winching somebody or yourself.

Hope this helps.

Kind of off topic but it is similar. For my ATV I only have a 2.5k winch on it. Sure I could have gotten a 4 k winch but it would be overkill. I kept snapping 2.5k winch lines so I upgraded it to 4k winch line. Now my 2.5 has no issues at all and pulls any load that isn't enough for an ATV. It isn't so much the winch rating itself but the rating for the winch line in my understanding

I agree with this. Strong, no downtime and fast, which may be the only time you can use those three words together to describe something that is "good."

It's plenty strong to fill tires, mine is not strong enough to make my impact wrench loosen my wheels lug nuts, anybody else try this? I have to usually loosen the lug nuts manually and use the wrench to speed remove or install the lug nuts. I've wondered about this but never asked until now that I see this thread...

1) When the pressure switch shuts off the compressor it also shuts off the winch! They use the same motor. The only difference is the manual lever that moves the drive gear from the cable drum to free wheel vrs driving the drum. You will have to find a way to leave the compressor open so it can't build up pressure.

Are you saying that the winch won't run unless the air tank is empty?

You have to bleed pressure off before you can winch? Is there a bleed valve or something or do you have to connect something to where the hose attaches and bleed it from there?

You have to bleed pressure off before you can winch? Is there a bleed valve or something or do you have to connect something to where the hose attaches and bleed it from there?

it does not have a check valve, as soon as you disconnect the hose it will empty out, it also has an overpressure valve for when you are using it, but you would most likely remove any hose you are using before winching

it does not have a check valve, as soon as you disconnect the hose it will empty out, it also has an overpressure valve for when you are using it, but you would most likely remove any hose you are using before winching

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

To all of you thinking about running an auxiliary tank you will have to figure out a couple of things first.

2) That also means that you will have to find a way to keep the air already in the tank in the tank so it won't drain while your winching somebody or yourself.

Hope this helps.

I noticed on the PPHD 12, that the built in tank has plumbing going and coming from it. I was thinking of just removing the small half pound tank then run the plumbing to the larger 2 or 3 lb tank. In theory it should work. The difficult part would be looking for somewhere to mount the tank under the jeep and send and receive the plumbing.

Are you saying that the winch won't run unless the air tank is empty?

That is correct, if you notice the fitting on the air tank is male so it is open and allows the air to go out and not build pressure while winching.

See above answer. If you want to test this put an air hose on the tank and run the air compressor until it builds enough pressure to shut off the motor. Shut off the compressor and then move the lever to winch then try to use the winch.

I noticed on the PPHD 12, that the built in tank has plumbing going and coming from it. I was thinking of just removing the small half pound tank then run the plumbing to the larger 2 or 3 lb tank. In theory it should work. The difficult part would be looking for somewhere to mount the tank under the jeep and send and receive the plumbing.

It would work except for how do you run the winch? Once the system builds pressure the switch shuts it off.

To me you would need a "T" fitting and 2 ball valves, one at the OEM tank with a ball valve that you could close off to the aux tank and another you could open so the winch can run.
Does that make sense?

Yikes. Seems like a pain to have an additional tank for what I need it to do.

I understand why Warn designed it they way they did. Simplicity and safety.

I think for my application I'm going to run a winch and separate air system with a 2.5gal tank.

I need a reserve of air at all times.

Thanks for all of the info guys. This really helped.

That would work, you just need to make it think there's no pressure.

EXACTLY! Now if I could draw I would but see if this makes sense:

OEM air tank---------T fitting--------ball valve to aux tank----------aux tank
\
\
\
another ball valve
open so no pressure

In theory this should work, with the in-line ball valve you would close it off to keep pressure in the aux tank. Then you open the other valve to release any pressure and to keep it from building pressure and the winch will work. Now I am sure you could plumb it anywhere and do the same thing to make it convenient, this is just my example. Make sense?

Edit: the text in red should be below the T fitting

Last edited:
Yikes. Seems like a pain to have an additional tank for what I need it to do.

I understand why Warn designed it they way they did. Simplicity and safety.

I think for my application I'm going to run a winch and separate air system with a 2.5gal tank.

I need a reserve of air at all times.

Thanks for all of the info guys. This really helped.

if you need air pressure all the time, then a separate pump/system is probably best. That is what all the guys with ARB lockers and a power plant are doing. If you want to plumb in a separate tank to pressurize, then disconnect the ARB for winching, it would probably work, and you should be able to fab something up behind the grill or behind the bumper that would work, like what Jeff is trying to describe above.

Just a simple ball valve to keep pressure in the aux tank, and a T valve (male output for a hose for airing up would be great) with a ball valve on the T. Then you could shut the aux tank off from incoming pressure, bleed off the T, and then switch to winch power. A couple levers and the T would be all you needed to see, and should be pretty straight forward.

But for the cost of a new Power Plant, you can run a Warn Zeon and set up a nice alternative air system as well.

Top Bottom