Popping noise coming from Pitman arm

jrod1290

Recently I have noticed a popping sound coming from the pitman arm when turning the wheels left while stationary. I don't hear the sound when rolling though. I had my wife turn the steering wheel while I was under there and I can hear/feel the pop coming from the Pitman Arm, not entirely sure if it's coming from the draglink end or the sector shaft end. I have a feeling it's coming from the draglink end though. I greased both and still having the pop. Any ideas what maybe causing this?

Is it a dropped pitman arm? Can you see if there is shifting of it at the sector shaft?

Not a dropped pitman arm. And forgot to note I have a sector shaft brace - no shifting in the area, I also retorqued all the bolts.

Not a dropped pitman arm. And forgot to note I have a sector shaft brace - no shifting in the area, I also retorqued all the bolts.
You likely have grit in the bushing for the sector shaft brace. Remove, clean and reinstall. If it’s the grease-able one, give it a squirt or two.

The sector shaft and pitman arm have a splined taper. The pitman arm tends to wallow out and play develops. At that point the only fix is to replace the pitman arm.

Top Bottom