Perseid meteor showers this weekend Aug 11 peak

Man the sierras never disappoint, especially loon lake! When we got there, there was some cloud cover… but it blew out before dark! We hung out had dinner and checked things out. Went to sleep around 9pm with an alarm set for 1am. We saw lots of shooting stars, I wasn’t lucky enough to catch one with the camera. Most of the sky was crystal clear just some clouds to the east over Tahoe area.

Practiced taking night shots and watched the show.
View attachment 411834View attachment 411835
Got a couple neat shots of the clouds over Tahoe. View attachment 411838
Got the reflection of Jupiter in the lake.
View attachment 411839
At about 3:30am I noticed a lot of purple in the corner of one of my photos. So I pointed the camera to the north and to our surprise. We got a northern lights show till about 4am View attachment 411836View attachment 411837
It was a great night!!
That’s amazing! Great shots!

Man the sierras never disappoint, especially loon lake! When we got there, there was some cloud cover… but it blew out before dark! We hung out had dinner and checked things out. Went to sleep around 9pm with an alarm set for 1am. We saw lots of shooting stars, I wasn’t lucky enough to catch one with the camera. Most of the sky was crystal clear just some clouds to the east over Tahoe area.

Practiced taking night shots and watched the show.
View attachment 411834View attachment 411835
Got a couple neat shots of the clouds over Tahoe. View attachment 411838
Got the reflection of Jupiter in the lake.
View attachment 411839
At about 3:30am I noticed a lot of purple in the corner of one of my photos. So I pointed the camera to the north and to our surprise. We got a northern lights show till about 4am View attachment 411836View attachment 411837
It was a great night!!
Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing these.

My son, dog and I hiked out to High Loch Leven Lake, and just like Black Pearl said, the clouds blew out. I fell asleep shortly after dinner then woke up at around midnight. We watched the sky for about an hour and probably saw about 50-60 shooting stars. It got to the point where I was watching the surface of the mirror like lake to see if I could spot one in the reflection. Sure enough, saw one in the reflection! No northern lights, though. Went to bed at 1:30AM so we probably headed to bed too early for that.

Top Bottom