NOVA's 2012 JK Build

Novajk88

So after joining the forum, and stopping by and introducing myself, I was urged by some fellow members to start a build thread - so here I am.

For starters, I own a 2012 Black Forest Green JK Sport S, 6spd.
I've already done a few mods that include..
- Peterson LED Headlights
- Warrior Flat Fenders
- Rubi Rock Sliders
- Rubi 18/59 Springs
- Rubi Shocks
- Painted Moab Wheels black
- Spidertrax Wheel Spacers
- Teraflex Spare tire license plate relocation
- 295/70-17 Dick Cepek Extreme Country's

Up until this weekend, I've been running a no name (I assume EBay, because I'm pretty sure I've seen it on there before) front stubby bumper. I got it for cheap, and it did the job, but I really missed my fog lights. So a couple weeks ago I purchased a Crawler Conceptz Ultra front bumper. I waited a week or so, and I received an Ultra rear bumper.. But no big deal, called them up and they sent me a return label for the rear bumper and sent me out the bumper I ordered. FYI - the folks at Crawler Conceptz were great to deal with, and handled the issue promptly; wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.
Anyways, I got the bumper and debated whether to powdercoat it or paint it, and I decided to go the paint option. I wanted it to have that satin "powder coated look" so I picked up a few things I thought would give it that look.

- Dupli-Color Self Etching Primer
- Dupli-Color Sandable Primer in Flat Black
- Krylon Dual Superbond in Satin Black
IMG_0098.jpg

First, I gave the bumper a good sanding with some Scotch Brite, and cleaned with acetone. Then I sprayed a light coat of the Self Etching Primer, then another heavier coat.
IMG_0103.jpg

After that, I sprayed the Sandable Primer, starting with a light coat, followed by a few medium coats.
IMG_0104.jpg

After a few hours of drying, I sanded the primer with 400 grit sandpaper, and cleaned with acetone and cheesecloth. Then I sprayed a light coat of the Dual Satin Black followed by 3 medium coats. Let dry overnight, installed fog light housings, and ended up with this. IMG_0113.jpg

I don't think it turned out too bad. There's a couple spots that I messed up due to my lack of patience, but it's just going to messed up anyways. I'm happy with it.

As far as installation, it was a breeze. This bumper can be used without relocating the vacuum pump, so that was a huge plus. I'll be purchasing the lower skid for it in the future. Bur for now, this is what it looks like.
IMG_0130.jpg

I'll be posting again soon, as I received my VKS Fab rear frame cap a couple days ago, so we'll see how that goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So after some deliberation on what I wanted to do with the rear bumper situation, I decided to go with the VKS Fab rear frame cap and D-Ring mount set. Both cost me $265 shipped. I'll probably go with something else down the road, but for now, given my limited budget, this is what I chose.
As far as paint, I chose to use the same method and paint as the front bumper I did. The D-Ring mounts come pre powder coated, so that's a plus. Here are some pics I took of the painting process.
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg

Now, for the installation..
Like I previously mentioned, I'm still running the stock Moab's on the stock tire carrier. Nothing listed on VKS' website mentioned needing an aftermarket tire carrier or a certain required back spacing for wheels. I mounted everything up and my gate doesn't close because the bottom of my tire hits the frame cap. So for now, I'm just running the D-Ring mounts with no frame cap until my Teraflex spare tire extension comes in. Not a huge deal, but I was kind of disappointed. I shot VKS an email just to let them know, and maybe they could add that info to their website. Will post the final install pics once the extension comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom