Looking for opinions re: tires

Mdeeq

First post on this forum. Finally upgrading my 2011 JKUR from factory 255/75 17's. I have OME 2.5" lift. I have a Superchips calibrator…..wheel often and moderately difficult terrain. but need good hiway ride and "factory" handling. The 255's measure out closer to 31" on the jeep, not the 32.1 they claim to be./

so my question is, 33, 34, or 35? True size… My thinking is i don't really want to do this twice so I want to be happy right out of the gate. and i don't really want another one of those upgrades where i learn later that i need five other upgrades to make my upgrade work as expected. 33 isn't much bigger than 31…but I could go wider…....35's are more common. Im thinking of Nitto Trail Grappler 315's. they are true 35, i think 12 wide….according to their specs online…..

i believe that a tire carrier will be required for any larger size tire and, according to Chrysler, my stock tires are already to heab=vy for the stock carrier anyways…..thats another story…..

any negatives to 35? any reason not to go that big? do i have to re-gear?

thanks for opinions…..

First post on this forum. Finally upgrading my 2011 JKUR from factory 255/75 17's. I have OME 2.5" lift. I have a Superchips calibrator…..wheel often and moderately difficult terrain. but need good hiway ride and "factory" handling. The 255's measure out closer to 31" on the jeep, not the 32.1 they claim to be./

so my question is, 33, 34, or 35? True size… My thinking is i don't really want to do this twice so I want to be happy right out of the gate. and i don't really want another one of those upgrades where i learn later that i need five other upgrades to make my upgrade work as expected. 33 isn't much bigger than 31…but I could go wider…....35's are more common. Im thinking of Nitto Trail Grappler 315's. they are true 35, i think 12 wide….according to their specs online…..

i believe that a tire carrier will be required for any larger size tire and, according to Chrysler, my stock tires are already to heab=vy for the stock carrier anyways…..thats another story…..

thanks for opinions…..

Yes go 35's! You will be very happy with that size. No real negatives with 35's. Just make sure you get C gussets for your front axle.

As far as regearing goes you will be fine since you have a rubi. That being said you will notice the lack in power and will want to regear at some point down the road.

Sent from my iPhone

What gears do you have? If you have 3.21's you won't like 35's. You should be able to carry a 35 on the stock carrier as well but make aure your tail gate is adjusted so it doesn't rattle, and if you sctrip one of the bolts like I did a tire carrier will be in your near future. Having said that I am glad that I went with 35's and can't imagine going with anything less.

My setup is a 2010 2 door with 3.73's and my 35" Trail Grapplers are on the stock 17's. it does great crawling but it is a little sluggish on the highway. Its far frome unbearable but I will for sure be regearing eventually in addition to a tire carrier. You'll also want to get some c gussets sooner than later if you go with 35's.

So the best way to decide is look at what your rig already has and what kind of wheeling you do.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386814970.193743.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386815063.053703.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386815113.722794.jpg

Sent from my phone?

Go 35s you will regret going any smaller than that and will want 35s like me :crybaby:

If you wheel often and I see you are in Boulder lots o good wheeling out in that area, I personally would go with Toyos as they are good wear on road and are great off road Nittos are great off road and good on road but wear faster supposedly from what I hear.. But I would go with either one as they are both really good.

No my brother ran 35s on his rig with 4.10 gears in Colorado for a while and had no issues with it what so ever. :thumb: Get the 35s you will not regret it!! :yup:

Last edited:
35s or 37s...but 37s open up a whole new ballgame of mods needed. 35s w 2.5 inch lift and u r golden staying mostly stock aaidecfrom what guys said...regearing....c gussets

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

thanks for opinions…..

I would definitely go with 35x12.5x17 than the 315 since they are a quarter of a inch taller (not that it matters much)none of them are true 35's anyway,but you shouldn't have any problems running them since you have a rubi.
Those tires will probably sit at 34 under load.
Good luck with your choice and welcome to wayalife :)

I would definitely go with 35x12.5x17 than the 315 since they are a quarter of a inch taller (not that it matters much)none of them are true 35's anyway,but you shouldn't have any problems running them since you have a rubi.
Those tires will probably sit at 34 under load.
Good luck with your choice and welcome to wayalife :)

Well said sir. But don't you know that the half an inch you say we loose means a lot to most men.....

After waiting 4 years for my factory tires to wear out, I dove right into 315/70/17s a couple of weeks ago. You won't regret it, the stance is perfect with 2.5" lift. Just don't forget you'll have to trim the rear pinch seam as I later learned.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I'm currently running a 35x12.50r17 Trail grappler with a 3" lift on my 2010 JKUR. It's great and I don't regret going to 35s it is a great tire size and makes the jeep plenty capable while still keeping it somewhat affordable to drive everyday. I'm regeared to 5.13s and it does great on the street and highway. Last trip I did I was getting about 16mpg highway. I do want 37s now but I also want to be able to run them correctly and don't have the funds for a Pro Rock and PSC! I ran them with the factory 4.10 for a year before regearing and it was bearable but when I did regear I thought I should have done it sooner. Where I really noticed it was on the highway especially in the mountains my tranny was basically never shifting into overdrive. Now with the 5.13 I am back to normal and can hold 75 mph with the cruise control up all the steepest grades. Also I have been running a 35 on the factory carrier for 3years now without any issues. I have the daystar bumpstops that keep it from rattling. Is it the perfect setup? No. Can it be done ? Yes.ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386869412.491508.jpg

Last edited:
I'll add my :twocents: If you see yourself going to 35's or 37's evenutally, then do it right the first time. Your stock gears will determine whether or not you will love or hate your choice. I ran 35's on my last and current rig on stock 4.10 gears and it was not terrible. Currently running 37's on stock 4.10s and still not terrible. I will re-gear in about a year or so.

You can run 35's on a 2.5" lift and you can also run a 35" tire on your stock tire carrier, so long as you run the longer isolators (Daystar makes cheap solutions to this). Wayoflife had a conversation with the engineer for Chrysler and was told the JK tire carrier was actually engineered to run up to a 35" tire.

Your choice all boils down to what you see as your build goal. Don't buy 33's if you want 35's, you will regret it. Don't buy 35's if you want 37's you will regret it. As far as tire reccomendations definitely go with Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo Open Country M/T's most durable and capable tires for your buck IMHO. I am currently running BFG km2's and although they wear great, they are difficult to balance, are made with a softer rubber compound and have weak sidewalls. :yup:

Great info everyone. Thank you. What are C gussets? I was just re airing from the cold and looking at the rock rail/pinch seam. Pretty close in the rear. Btb. Love my power tank.

Hmmmm. Well. I just realized: my factory tire wheel combo weighs about 60 #. The nitto 315 weighs over 60 itself plus the rim. So, with new tires it's also bumper, tire carrier and c gussets (deemed necessary). BUT, I cannot physically lift the weight of a 35. So if I go flat I'm stuck. Decision; run factory rubber till it's shot then go a little taller and a little wider on factory rims.

Thanks for input. I wonder what I should spend my tire money on?????

I am with the others in recommending going with 35s from the getco. It will make your JK look proportionate with the 2.5" lift. (See below) I initially ran 33s but a year later moved up to 35s and am real happy I did...

49837a8c2946dcfe0f57ad04f8f8ba95_zps8e75c76d.jpg

If you have a Rubi, the 4.10 gears, along with the Superchips will make it bearable. Also if you have an auto trans turning off the OD button will help out as well.

As for not being able to lift the 35s, just leave a crow bar or a cheater bar in your Jeep to help you get it onto the axle. In the past I have driven dump trucks and that helped me change the tires on them whenever I had a flat..

Hmmmm. Well. I just realized: my factory tire wheel combo weighs about 60 #. The nitto 315 weighs over 60 itself plus the rim. So, with new tires it's also bumper, tire carrier and c gussets (deemed necessary). BUT, I cannot physically lift the weight of a 35. So if I go flat I'm stuck. Decision; run factory rubber till it's shot then go a little taller and a little wider on factory rims.

I'm running a 35 on my stock carrier and have been for several months, prior to that I had a 33 toyo on there, which weighs more than some 35's. Even more extreme is Mel of offroad evolution has been running a 37 nitto on an atx slab beadlock, on the stock carrier of "evolander" for a while, even during the JKX. Don't see why a tire carrier is considered NEEDED

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You could get a AAA for the next year and not have to worry about lifting any tires! Hahahahaha! Wonder if they would meet you on the trail

You could get a AAA for the next year and not have to worry about lifting any tires! Hahahahaha! Wonder if they would meet you on the trail

:cheesy::cheesy:

But in all seriousness when i comes to changing a mud tire the method that I have found works best is to lift it just enough to grt the tire off the ground and then sit down with the tire in your lap and ise yor legs to lift it and your arms to position it.

Sent from my phone?

I am with the others in recommending going with 35s from the getco. It will make your JK look proportionate with the 2.5" lift. (See below) I initially ran 33s but a year later moved up to 35s and am real happy I did...

49837a8c2946dcfe0f57ad04f8f8ba95_zps8e75c76d.jpg

If you have a Rubi, the 4.10 gears, along with the Superchips will make it bearable. Also if you have an auto trans turning off the OD button will help out as well.

As for not being able to lift the 35s, just leave a crow bar or a cheater bar in your Jeep to help you get it onto the axle. In the past I have driven dump trucks and that helped me change the tires on them whenever I had a flat..

This has to be the best comparison I have ever seen thanks for the post. I too am in the "should have went 35" club... Took about 36 hrs after getting the 33's

The above post really makes the unlimited look like it should.

I will be ready for 35 soon and do most daily drive on the highway. Auto 3:73 and the 3.8. By nature not a speed freak just thinking by the time I pull the trigger Jeep will have about 165,000 KM on it

Wait for new jeep or just go for it!?!?

I keep obsessing on that for a bit.

Top Bottom