Lod Bumper

I really like watching the old videos but I noticed alot of you ran the lod rear bumpers. In the newer videos you have switched to the evo style. I really like the design of the lod and just want to make sure it is a solid unit.

I have the LOD front and rear. If you plan to ever upgrade to 37"s get the stubby front. If you plan to upgrade to coil-overs you will add wheel spacers and 35's will rub on the mid-width front. If I were doing it again I would get the stubby in the front. I have 35's and they rub. I want 37's and the bumper has to be modified or replaced.
EVO has a "less is more" mentality. I like my LOD bumper, but it rubs the rocks more than the stock rear shock mounts did before I cut them off. The LOD bumper is great, but I'd rather not rub it on the rocks so much. Consider the EVO carrier or something else that allows you to delete the rear bumper.

I'll likely be keeping the rear bumper for a while. If I could fix one thing with it, it rip it off and install some LED fog lights in the bumber. I have LED's in the front and I'd like the light to match.

Great quality bumpers, but choose wisely or choose (and pay) again.

:twocents:

Speaking of the lights in the rear bumper, how are you guys wiring them in? With the reverse lights or on a separate switch?

Ran a power wire from the battery, through the cab, into the passenger turn signal area. Installed a relay there that taps into the power to the reverse light for switching purposes. If you install LED lights in the bumper I think you could power them directly from the factory reverse lights without a relay.

If you only power them with OEM reverse lights, you can't use them without being in reverse.

Personally, I'd either run a direct line with a switch or use an on-off-on switch with a diode so you can still turn them on independently.

I have mine tied into my DIY relay panel. Need extra light flick the switch. Someone tailgating flip the switch. Need extra light at night flip the switch.

If you only power them with OEM reverse lights, you can't use them without being in reverse.

Personally, I'd either run a direct line with a switch or use an on-off-on switch with a diode so you can still turn them on independently.

I don't suppose you would have a wiring diagram for the on-off-on switch with diode would you? :D

Here's a few of mine as well View attachment 120480View attachment 120482
Side note, my third brake light is zip tied on in these pics so that's not how it'll normally sit. LOD forgot the bracket when they shipped it, which by the way they handled very well, they sent one out the next day.

Is this carrier attached to the tailgate? So you use the tailgate handle to open? I'm looking at rear bumpers/carriers that use the tailgate. I couldn't find any videos showing it opening. Thx!

Is this carrier attached to the tailgate? So you use the tailgate handle to open? I'm looking at rear bumpers/carriers that use the tailgate. I couldn't find any videos showing it opening. Thx!

LOD makes a carrier with a latch that you must open and then swing the carrier out of the way before opening the tail gate and they make a linked carrier that is attached to the tail gate so all you have to do is open the tail gate normally and the carrier will open with it.

Yep, this is linked to the tailgate. I don't have any good pics, but there's a plate that connects to the tailgate where the stock tire carrier would be mounted and then there's a piece that connects that to the carrier so they open together. Much easier than a non linked carrier

Last edited:
I have no idea what the differences between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are. Maybe none?!?

The only difference I am aware of is the Gen 4 uses a different metal which saves weight. A decent amount of weight I believe. Other than that I believe they are the same.

The only difference I am aware of is the Gen 4 uses a different metal which saves weight. A decent amount of weight I believe. Other than that I believe they are the same.

And I thought mine was heavy, it was not fun to install without using a jack. I'm glad I didn't have to install a heavier version 😬

Thanks for the help! I searched forever last night trying to figure out how to use an on-off-on dpdt switch to accomplish this. In the diagram you posted a standard spst switch should be fine.

No problem.
Been thinking about rewiring my rig with a manual switch. I hate the guys with the crappy HID conversions that ride up on my butt and blind me. A manual switch for the bumper lights might hep fix them! I need to upgrade to some LED fogs for backup lights to be sure.

No problem.
Been thinking about rewiring my rig with a manual switch. I hate the guys with the crappy HID conversions that ride up on my butt and blind me. A manual switch for the bumper lights might hep fix them! I need to upgrade to some LED fogs for backup lights to be sure.

The ones Rigid markets as their "reverse light kit" are on a three way switch so you can run off your stock reverse lights or switch on manually. Best of both worlds!

Top Bottom