Largest tire size for Dana 30

So I'm going to start over, nice to meet you Adam over the web, and here's what I'm starting with as my jkImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428770081.990133.jpg

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, so here it is one more time. What is reasonably the largest size tire you should use on a Dana 30 with stock or cut fenders, keeping in mind that the axle will likely be replaced in the future.

Thanks!

You know i have wondered the same thing since i plan on lifting mine soon

You know i have wondered the same thing since i plan on lifting mine soon

Okay- the reason there isn't a set tire size is because it all depends on how you wheel- and nobody knows what your idea of hard is.

Some guys will break it on 33s while others roll the dice with 37s and say it's fine.

For average wheeling, I would say 35s are a reasonable size, but don't come crying to me if you break it. And remember that's just average wheeling. Not getting crazy, and probably not getting into many rocks or high traction environments.

And I would do the c-gusset on a jk d30 regardless of tire size.

All depends on how hard you drive it.

My old ladies JKU is running a D30 with 35' tires and an Aussie locker. She has ran it for 3 annual summer trips to Moab that way, which is a high traction area, and had zero issues. Only damage she has had was 2 blown axle shaft u-joints. She has run everything from Fins & thing's to Pritchett Canyon. Mean while I have ran the same trails and destroyed a D44, and a RJ60.

dy5ymu9y.jpg

HA, and she actually works on it herself!!!!! KEEPER......

33r17 mud grapplers on a D30 dicey? I've heard they are heavy but am leaning that way for my first set of 5 tires. I was thinking 315 duratracs but this thread has me scared!

That is a sweet shot, but it might have been easier to mount your spare on the jeep instead of hauling it in a trailer.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yeah- it had a tire and a few toolboxes. All stuff that normally rides in the jeep. That was a shakedown run to see where I could take that trailer. I was up until the early hours of the morning finishing narrowing the trailer and getting some lights on it. If I had it a little more assembled, my goal was to have my wife's Rzr in it.
The empty trailer is 1500lbs. Rzr is another 1,000.

It's ok, at 19 everything you do seems extreme. No one here is truly beating you up. Its cool you are building up your rig as you can afford it. :thumb:

Thanks man! And yes everything does seem extreme and more badass for some reason.

Yeah- it had a tire and a few toolboxes. All stuff that normally rides in the jeep. That was a shakedown run to see where I could take that trailer. I was up until the early hours of the morning finishing narrowing the trailer and getting some lights on it. If I had it a little more assembled, my goal was to have my wife's Rzr in it.
The empty trailer is 1500lbs. Rzr is another 1,000.

Man, I love your rig and the trailer! Sweet set up!

OP, Get your rachet and a TIGHT bolt (preferably a skid plate bolt under your jeep) now hold the ratchet very close to the socket and try REAL hard to break the bolt loose, it wont budge, now move your hand out 2.5" from the socket and try again REAL hard, if it breaks loose :clap2: tighten it back up and move to another bolt, regardless, now move your hand out another 2.5" from the socket (5" total) and try to break loose the bolt, pretty easy. -> this is exactly whats going on with bigger tires on an axle, Leverage :shock: Your hand on the wrench represents where your tire hits the ground, and breaking the bolt loose represents breaking your axle... crude but very real example of the difference in forces 5" can make. (That's what she said?)

This amazingly explains the stress in very simple terms. Thanks!

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, so here it is one more time. What is reasonably the largest size tire you should use on a Dana 30 with stock or cut fenders, keeping in mind that the axle will likely be replaced in the future.

Thanks!

If it breaks they were too big.

Top Bottom