JL trailer wiring harness installation

knotbob

I need a 2" receiver hitch (easy to install) and a 4 prong boat plug. Why is there a hot wire going to the battery terminal under the hood from a little black box. Past wiring harnesses I've installed (not Jeep) got the power for turn signals and brakes from the T-plugs that are connected from the tail lights?

I know some after market trailer plugs pull power from battery, lessening the strain for powering the extra lights and basically using the factory lights as signals for the trailer lights. At least that’s how the one works i installed in one of my jeeps.

I need a 2" receiver hitch (easy to install) and a 4 prong boat plug. Why is there a hot wire going to the battery terminal under the hood from a little black box. Past wiring harnesses I've installed (not Jeep) got the power for turn signals and brakes from the T-plugs that are connected from the tail lights?
Has to do with a lot of the newer LED systems and them being tied into the BCM. They don’t like stuff being pulled off of them to run accessories or extra lights. It’s a hassle I deal with daily even wiring in 3rd brake lights on campers

I know some after market trailer plugs pull power from battery, lessening the strain for powering the extra lights and basically using the factory lights as signals for the trailer lights. At least that’s how the one works i installed in one of my jeeps.
Thanks. The factory towing package includes a bigger alternator. Does the factory trailer wiring harness draw power from the battery as well? Just trying to understand my first & new JL.

Has to do with a lot of the newer LED systems and them being tied into the BCM. They don’t like stuff being pulled off of them to run accessories or extra lights. It’s a hassle I deal with daily even wiring in 3rd brake lights on campers
Thanks. I don't have any auxiliary switches in my JL Sport S so I will need to figure out how to add fuses and switches. I don't want to be having inline fuses/circuit breakers scattered everywhere and trying to find where I hid them on a trail repair.

Thanks. I don't have any auxiliary switches in my JL Sport S so I will need to figure out how to add fuses and switches. I don't want to be having inline fuses/circuit breakers scattered everywhere and trying to find where I hid them on a trail repair.
You can add the factory switch panel to your jeep. It’s what I did and now have a clean factory interior and wiring to boot (sorry no installed pics on my
Phone)
69558173012__9925AC29-8455-4425-AAA3-73973AB6A2A9.jpeg

Thanks. The factory towing package includes a bigger alternator. Does the factory trailer wiring harness draw power from the battery as well? Just trying to understand my first & new JL.
There is a shortcut, you can tap into the rear power outlet on the left. I would not do this if your trailer is not running LED’s though just because of the current draw. I was going to do it this way but decided against it and just ran it up to the battery, it is not that big of a job.

There is a shortcut, you can tap into the rear power outlet on the left. I would not do this if your trailer is not running LED’s though just because of the current draw. I was going to do it this way but decided against it and just ran it up to the battery, it is not that big of a job.
Thanks. I saw somebodies post about tapping the power outlet and already decided to run wire to the battery.

What is the difference between 4 pin trailer wiring harness and hitch that sell for $99 and $182? WeiSen versus Curt.

I've ordered the Curt hitch and wiring harness. I see "branded" parts, accessories, etc that all look the same and I have to wonder what has been re-branded and what is re-al.

I was installing the Curt trailer wiring harness in my Jl this afternoon and the factory tail light plugs were difficult to come apart. The red connect locks opened easily but I had a difficult time getting the plugs back together and the red locks pushed in place except the passenger side. The Curt plug mated with the factory plug as expected but I can not get the factory plug from the tail light assembly to lock on the Curt plug. I literally spent hours trying to get it locked and have just given up. I'm going to wrap the connection with electrical tape and when/if I have tail light problems I will look there first. It's either that or sell my Jon boat.
Any suggestions before I tape the plugs together?

I was installing the Curt trailer wiring harness in my Jl this afternoon and the factory tail light plugs were difficult to come apart. The red connect locks opened easily but I had a difficult time getting the plugs back together and the red locks pushed in place except the passenger side. The Curt plug mated with the factory plug as expected but I can not get the factory plug from the tail light assembly to lock on the Curt plug. I literally spent hours trying to get it locked and have just given up. I'm going to wrap the connection with electrical tape and when/if I have tail light problems I will look there first. It's either that or sell my Jon boat.
Any suggestions before I tape the plugs together?
make sure no pins are bent, use some dielectric grease on the weather seal to get it to squeeze closed

make sure no pins are bent, use some dielectric grease on the weather seal to get it to squeeze closed
I'll have to get some dielectric grease. The pins are good and it plugs together uo to about 1/16th of an inch (or even less. I can see that the plug latch(?) is so close to dropping behind the ramp and the red wedge should slide in easily if it does. I even got my micrometer out to measure the depth of the plug on both sides and it is so close to latching. The easiest part of the job turned into the hardest job. Murphy is on my back!

I'll have to get some dielectric grease. The pins are good and it plugs together uo to about 1/16th of an inch (or even less. I can see that the plug latch(?) is so close to dropping behind the ramp and the red wedge should slide in easily if it does. I even got my micrometer out to measure the depth of the plug on both sides and it is so close to latching. The easiest part of the job turned into the hardest job. Murphy is on my back!
Murphy indeed lol
I installed the Curt on my JLU, the plugs were tight, the grease made the weather seal slide in place and allow that little bit extra to snap together

Top Bottom