JKUR 2014 over heating or coolant

EdRamon

Hello everyone

This past weekend while doing the Mojave Road my Jeep (6 months old with 11K miles) out of the blue reached 3/4 of the way on the temperature gauge (~235F). In addition, moments before that I smelled coolant. Moreover on my front axle differential I saw signs of coolant leakage but nothing else was seen.

Luckily, the fan kicked right in and moments later I was back to normal on my thermostat with a engine temp of 224F. Needless to say I gingerly got it back to a main highway since I was only with my 10 year old son. Luckily I actually managed to drive it all the way back to Los Angeles with zero issues.

After reading some of the other posts on this forum this heating issue sounds like it's not unique. As a result I was wondering what was the outcome with other fellow jeep owners.

Ed

Take it to the dealership and have them take a look at it. If for no other reason it can be documented.

The coolant on the axle probably came out of the overflow hole. It does that when it gets really hot and has happened to me twice. On the back of the reservoir there is a tiny hole. After you see the fluid on your axle touch the hole (that's dirty) and you'll probably feel it's wet.

Thank you for replies. Reading everything helped a lot.

Follow up question, I have added a Banks monster exhaust and air intake

(Hit enter too soon)

After adding a banks ram air intake and banks exhaust. Can the dealer say I caused the coolant leak and of over heating issue? Also I have used superchips to tune the engine. Granted I will place back to stock before I hand it to the dealer.

(Hit enter too soon)

After adding a banks ram air intake and banks exhaust. Can the dealer say I caused the coolant leak and of over heating issue? Also I have used superchips to tune the engine. Granted I will place back to stock before I hand it to the dealer.

I'm sure they will try!

(Hit enter too soon)

If you can restore your Jeep to as close as stock as possible, I would. As mentioned, most dealerships will do whatever they can to give them an out and stick the bill on you.

As others said, they could give you shit. Specifically for the CAI, I think I remember reading on here someone getting denied adter install of a mopar CAI. If you have your stock intake I would swap it in.

I wouldnt worry about the exhaust, that is such a common mod it would be pretty unlikely they would give you grief on that. Brought mine in to the dealer about 5 times and they never mentioned that same exhaust.

Ugg oh man. If I knew Jeep would be this way I would have saved my stock air filter tubing etc. Reading this makes me think I should go to 4 wheel parts and have them investigate to keep my warranty intact. Personally I have to say the guys in the Torrance / Redondo store have taken great care of my Jeep.

(The trials and tribulations of a first time Jeep owner.)

If you did not throw any codes and it was a one time occurance I would not fret a heck of a lot over it. Modern engines run hot.

Well just got back from the dealership and my JKUR is 100% fine. No pressure loss no codes and a indirect answer from the mechanic himself that they know the Jeep runs hot.

Also another bit of interesting items. He let me know that:

1. There is a water pump problem that causes it to chirp. Gonna schedule an appointment for that they will replace it.
2. The water slushing sound is also a known issue that the system would have to be burped
3. (I wish I paid attention /knew more about this) there is an issue with cylinders 2 and 4??? Not to sure but thought to post it. My jeep runs fine.

Other comments:
A. My superchips Flashpaq worked to set everything back to stock
B. They didn't care about the Banks Cold Air Intake. I actually mentioned it to the service paperwork guy and he have me the don't worry about it look. Asked the mechanic as well and he said that is fine.

If folks are wondering were it was serviced Motor Village LA.

B. They didn't care about the Banks Cold Air Intake. I actually mentioned it to the service paperwork guy and he have me the don't worry about it look. Asked the mechanic as well and he said that is fine.

They all say this until the time you need an engine warranty repair or engine replacement.

They all say this until the time you need an engine warranty repair or engine replacement.

Exactly! This short hockey player guy I know is going through some issues over a bad engine, allegedly caused by a mopar intake that was installed by the dealer.... They refuse to honor his warranty, think he only has around 20k miles on it:(

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exactly! This short hockey player guy I know is going through some issues over a bad engine, allegedly caused by a mopar intake that was installed by the dealer.... They refuse to honor his warranty, think he only has around 20k miles on it:(

There are no issues anymore. That motor will be out and the new one will be in. No thanks to the dealer though. :thumb:

There are no issues anymore. That motor will be out and the new one will be in. No thanks to the dealer though. :thumb:

I figured as much and only goes to prove moochies point further:( Can't believe what the stealership says, they don't have to stand behind their word or even the parts they over charge you to install for that matter.

Well just got back from the dealership and my JKUR is 100% fine. No pressure loss no codes and a indirect answer from the mechanic himself that they know the Jeep runs hot.

Also another bit of interesting items. He let me know that:

1. There is a water pump problem that causes it to chirp. Gonna schedule an appointment for that they will replace it.
2. The water slushing sound is also a known issue that the system would have to be burped
3. (I wish I paid attention /knew more about this) there is an issue with cylinders 2 and 4??? Not to sure but thought to post it. My jeep runs fine.

Other comments:
A. My superchips Flashpaq worked to set everything back to stock

the head issue was with 2012's and early 13's.

My '13 seems to always have coolant on the axle. It never runs over temp and the coolant level is not low. I figured the dealer overfills it when I get my oil changed. Maybe I should take it in and have the dealer look at it.

My '13 seems to always have coolant on the axle. It never runs over temp and the coolant level is not low. I figured the dealer overfills it when I get my oil changed. Maybe I should take it in and have the dealer look at it.

They overfilled mine when I brought it in both times. I've only brought it to the dealer twice.

Top Bottom