JeepNimzel CJ7 Frame Off

What do you think of my work on the DIY?

This kit was definitely a DIY kit. I expected to bolt them up and weld them together. They required much more massaging to get them to fit.

Prepping the tub for a liner product I cannot remember what I used – but I prepped with sanding, then cleaning, I used Marine Clean, then Prep and Ready, and then sprayed.

Prep sucks Even though I had the tube sandblasted, I waiting to prime too long so it flash rusted, so it hit it with an orbital and got rid of the rust and ruffed it up.

I got to work on the sound deadening and heat resistant coating.

I sprayed the firewall, underside, and the inside of the jeep.

In this picture I’ve got one coat on the Jeep.

I had to buy 4 gallons of the sound/heat deadener to spray it to a depth I was happy with. This pic shows one of my holidays underneath the cowl from the inside.

Here is what the stuff looks like dry and dusty.

Getting to work on the body filler.

I had to wait 45 days before spraying the liner with primer to coat it in paint, that delayed things some, but following instructions on paint was critical.

Finally ready to spray. Again I cleaned these with Marine Clean, Prep and Ready, then a degreaser/stripper. Potentially overkill, but I wanted clean metal.

My painting racks

This was my first attempt at body work and painting.
Fingers crossed

First coat of paint revealed I hadn’t done enough sanding. So I started over. Re-primed, cleaned, etc….

Here is me making some progress with paint. I was shocked again on paint, I thought the prep for paint was the long part. For a novice, spraying paint took about two weeks before I was happy with my result.

I got the body back on, loaded it up on a trailer, and took it from Texas to a buddies place to work on it out of state. I needed the help as I was on a deadline to move from Texas to California. I cannot express how stressful it was planning a cross country move, and finishing up two Jeeps at once. This CJ and My 1969 Commando.

Murphy showed up - Paint didn’t match up on the fenders, hood, and body, so I had to spray another coat with it all on the Jeep. FML

Got to the shop

Unloaded my tools, my truck of parts, off loaded the Jeep and got to work

It was a four day mad dash to complete the Jeep - did I make it?

More new parts

Setting up the new painless and Howell Fuel Injection for the 4.2

IS PAINLESS PAINLESS?

Howell fuel Injection – TBI – based on the GM 4.3 V6 throttle body

I had to leave my CJ behind when I moved to Texas. I expect to have it finished up when I go back to my home in Van Alstyne, Texas later this summer. Stand by for updates - its killing me to not be working on this thing.

I am not without a Jeep however. Before leaving Texas I bought a 2000 TJ for California. I left my ranch with 123,xxx miles on the clock and drove to L.A.

The day I got it on 33's and covered in stickers.

Thats 35's on a 3.5" R.E. Long Arm, bumpers are at the time I left Texas Jeeperman rear, and MORE front.

The other Jeep in the picture is my 1969 Commando - There is a build thread on here for that one too.
New Shoes

The commando (YJ Grill) is on 40's again the TJ is on 35's

I got some wheeling done in Arizona -

Last edited:
Top Bottom