It's Time to SUPERSIZE Moby - MoTech 6.2L LS Jeep Motor Swap

Eddie, Robbie eluded to he is working on something to get more of the air out of the engine Bay Area. Even with vented hoods the airflow is just not there! I built an aluminum shroud and seal to close off the intake area and even with the largest K&N filter I could fit in there it will start to heat sink after 90 degree temps. Can't imagine in your area what they are! The thermal dynamics of this front end just suck! Your air sounds like the condenser is freezing up. I want to update to his new control system which I think let's the jeep ECM handle the air again. I had a high and low cutout for air on mine but took out the low one. If I remember right the low one keeps the condenser from freezing up by cycling more often. The air conditioning guy I took it into couldn't see why it was needed so I took it out. Apparently only three wires under dash, stock cruise switch and no more CEL light for traction control! He has been hard to get a hold of lately. Really busy and I bet trying to catch up some. Sound like the Arabs have been swamping him last I spoke with him!

I'd be eager to see and maybe even get my hands on whatever he comes up with.

Tell me to shut-up if I'm being retarded, but have you checked your Freon level?

It's all good but yes, it's one of the first things I checked.

How much did your radiator cost?

There's a price list on the first page of this thread, so it looks like it was $650.

What he said ^^^

I've "heard" of some guys running big Hemi conversions that have an alleged 3 pass Ron Davis radiator. Would a better radiator fan coupled with a ventilated hood help? Would the additions of active fans to force air out of the ventilated hoods (the same way military vehicles vent air) potentially help? Have you looked into more efficient water pump options that move a higher volume of water and potential cooler thermostats?

Your real world experience and feedback is really helpful for me. Based on what I'm reading I'm "tapping the brakes" on my LS conversion since no AC is not an option in a constant 95 where + 80%+ humidity temps of Houston. With the humidity radiators are also less efficient.

To be fair, since getting our LS in December, we've put on over 18,000 miles and during that time, the AC only recently started to go out. Of course, we haven't really needed it up until about a month or two ago. Until I can give things a better look, it could just be something simple as a bad compressor. Regarding cooling of the engine, I need to reiterate that we have not "over-heated" or, as of yet. Under extreme conditions, we can get it pretty hot but it hasn't gone beyond that. A 3 pass radiator will not do anything - a BIGGER radiator will.

SmokenV10 call Motech and talk to the guys there to get there latest kit updates and express your concerns and questions. Robbie can talk completely over ones head, just slow him down and be direct on your questions. I did the same finally with a few different kits Hemi's at first but kept going back to the LS conversion. The low cut off I was talking about is to help with freezing up the condenser by causing the compressor to cycle more. So far has not been needed in my area. That has all changed in his newer kits so ask on that also. Some of his UTube videos show LS conversions idling outside his shop in 110 plus temps, but this is under no heavy load either! I can't imagine how hot the LS7 conversions will get if pushed hard for any length of time! Maybe find out what else he is working on for cooling if you talk to him. My guess is he is trying to get the new 12+ fan to work with the old CanBus or other higher speed fan options.

I've been hearing that AEV now runs a 2012-up fan on their kits and I'd really like to give that a try. I sure hope Robbie will come up with something to make it work.

Okay, finally found some time to do a quick check and it looks like the AC compressor is toast. This really sucks being that it came off a brand new 2011 motor that only had about 15,000 miles on it. :rolleyes2:

Okay, finally found some time to do a quick check and it looks like the AC compressor is toast. This really sucks being that it came off a brand new 2011 motor that only had about 15,000 miles on it. :rolleyes2:

Ahh the good old reliable black sheep 2011 :rolleyes2: :cheesy:

Sent from my iPhone

Is there a warranty? :cheesy:

Try the Jeep dealership. See what they say. Make sure you get pictures of the guys faces when they open the hood. Also be careful as the dealers tend to black flag a modded jeep so it's prob best you try to make it look stock! lol

--rccrwlr

Well, I ordered up a new compressor but, decided to have a shop give it a look before I just started installing parts that I really didn't need to install. And, based on the checks they've done, they seem to think that compressor might be okay and that we probably have some kind of blockage going on - maybe in the expansion valve. I think I'm gonna have to contact Motech and see what they have to say. I guess it's a good thing we have a Plan C to drive around :crazyeyes:

Let me know when you want Rubicat brought up. I need a DTD test drive

LOL!! That would be awesome but, it needs to get finished first. Apparently, the sound that we were hearing and ultimately got us started down the road of doing the LS swap in Moby....... turns out that it may not have been the transmission after. More than likely, it was something in the rear axle.... the same one we just had installed in Rubicat :doh:

LOL!! That would be awesome but, it needs to get finished first. Apparently, the sound that we were hearing and ultimately got us started down the road of doing the LS swap in Moby....... turns out that it may not have been the transmission after. More than likely, it was something in the rear axle.... the same one we just had installed in Rubicat :doh:

Oh shit! Time for an LS in Rubicat now to fix the rear end noise? :thumb:

That sucks!

Didn't the dealer say something about the axle when it was being looked at

Well, I ordered up a new compressor but, decided to have a shop give it a look before I just started installing parts that I really didn't need to install. And, based on the checks they've done, they seem to think that compressor might be okay and that we probably have some kind of blockage going on - maybe in the expansion valve. I think I'm gonna have to contact Motech and see what they have to say. I guess it's a good thing we have a Plan C to drive around :crazyeyes:

Yikes. May need to knock some rust off of Rusty too.

- Jason

Top Bottom